Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a complete new JSD design that eliminates the ground wire, does not cause any increase in rpm (this is a total new unit design from the ground up) . What I need to know is if you guys would like a switch on the unit so you could turn it off when you want.

Yes adding a switch would increase the cost of the unit.

Just tested this unit on a local riders bike:

Just got back, major difference in throttle response, pulls a lot harder as well.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 1:17 PM
To: R G
Subject: Re: The latest...

Let me know after you take it for a ride

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seapup said:
Before I can answer your question... why would I want to switch my JSD-3M off?
Hmm, I have had people on other sites ask me for the ability to turn it off. I guess here are some reasons: riding in the rain, dyno runs,....... I guess I could come up with more if I was pressed.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would never turn it off. I've riden in the rain with it on and honestly I think it's better because IMO the throttle response is better.

Now, if the mod ever freaked out (failed, etc) on me I would like to be able to flip a switch and cut it out of the loop but I'm guessing that is really just reaching for a reason.

·
Registered
315 Posts
No way I would want my jsd3m off even in the rain. Nope, no way, no how.

I would purchase the new unit just for the idling issue, if it is not to costly.

Sitting at the light, looking cool with the baddest bike in town with it idling high is not cool.

Jeff I love the mod by the way thank you.

:bigthumbsup: :super: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
The primary reason why I would prefer an on/off switch is for trouble shooting. If a problem does come up, at least you can easily shut it off without having to take it out...

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
jeffw said:
Hmm, I have had people on other sites ask me for the ability to turn it off. I guess here are some reasons: riding in the rain, dyno runs,....... I guess I could come up with more if I was pressed.
In case the unit wigs out on me or for dynos, it's really easy to disconnect.

I agree with others regarding leaving it on during rain.

That said, I would think it would be more cost effective to spend time/research $s to "fix" the reported idle issue (no issue here) and pass the slight cost on to the new and improved JSD-4M. You know, the new one with no ground and no idle issue. I voted "don't care".

BTW... Great product and kudos on the super-fast shipping! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Never would turn it off.The bike really runs smooth with it.My bike idles at 900 rpm in neutral or in gear with the clutch in.Love your product!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I have -2m and am very happy with it :bigthumbsup: ........... if don't want the RPM increase I just keep the clutch pulled in :p

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have had no problems, but do experience the idle issue, but I keep my clutch in - so this has never been an issue for me. Even if I put the bike in neutral for some reason while it is running the slight increase in RPM, so again no issue. I guess if you felt as the manufacturer that this idle issue could become a problem at some point and recommended that I upgrade to your new version, than I would. I would also hope though that as the manufacturer in this case you would discount to those customers who are replacing a previous version; i.e., similar to software manufacturers who come out with a new version and offer a discount price to previous buyers. Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The removal of the ground wire should eleminate some user errors on installation and/or bad ground problems. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
J R said:
why would i want to turn it off on a dyno run?
To get a baseline run so you have something to compare (old vs. new, without JSD compared to with JSD). To determine if you increased, decreased or stayed the same with regards to power after doing a modification.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I think his point is that on most dyno I know you are testing almost always at full throttle and in a higher gear (4th I think) and as we know that the ECM is already giving you full timing if you are at full throttle and or in 4th gear, so turning off or on the JSD would make no difference since there no retard being put in anyway. :bigthumbsup:

At least I think thats what he meant  :p

·
Registered
86 Posts
Is there going to be a recall on these?

At least a discount for those of us who ordered the 3M and thought the idle would stay @900 rpms and would like to return them for the new one?

·
Registered
142 Posts
jeffw said:
I have a complete new JSD design that eliminates the ground wire, does not cause any increase in rpm (this is a total new unit design from the ground up) . What I need to know is if you guys would like a switch on the unit so you could turn it off when you want. Yes adding a switch would increase the cost of the unit. Just tested this unit on a local riders bike:
Oh my God !!! A JSD-4M just around the corner!!! Drool, drool !!

I don't care if it has a "pigtail" on it or not. No increase in RPM (whether clutch in or out) and no 2,000 - 3,500 RPM start-up idles !!! I am ready !!!!! I knew we could count on you Jeff !!!! Thanks !

mania

G

·
jeffw said:
I have a complete new JSD design that eliminates the ground wire, does not cause any increase in rpm (this is a total new unit design from the ground up) . What I need to know is if you guys would like a switch on the unit so you could turn it off when you want.

No switch. What's the cost of the new unit? I for one, don't like the higher idle with the clutch disengaged. Is there a way for current owners of the JSD to modify theirs in order to alleviate the rpm issue?

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
jeffw said:

Jeff, does this mean you found the issue that existed in the 3m? Will you have a rework instruction for those of us with the idle issue and the 3M? Or will there be some sort of RMA deal??

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was the local guy lucky enough to get to test it.  I think the main value of the switch is just taming the throttle response when needed.  (more of a luxury vs. a necessity)  I have owned or ridden just about all the power cruisers on the market today minus the big Triumph.  Almost every one of them had a very twitchy throttle.  I like to describe it as an "on/off" switch.  There are some situations where that can be a problem.  Putting the JSD on the bike makes this thing much more responsive.  It is obvious Suzuki tamed the bike a little bit.  I am not one to ever say you can have too much power, my wife however disagrees with me.  I think the switch would come in handy for slow cruising, sand on the road (Idaho thing), tight twisties, or passenger situations.  I was blown away with how smooth the M109 is in regards to throttle response.  I guess there is a right time and place for everything however.  I think the switch would be nice just to kinda give you the whole jekyl and hyde experience on demand.  I put about 150 miles on the new JSD over the weekend and love it.  Just be careful making U-turns.  Great work Jeff!  :beer2:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts