M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received and installed the JSD-3M and took it on a short ride. It definitely smooths out the throttle and gives mid boost. I did, however, experience a detonation on the ride back home going around a corner, after downshifting and starting to throttle up (sounded like it came from the left side).

Should I be concerned or give it a little time for me to adjust. It does really smooth out the throttle and boy o boy look down fast because you fly fast faster and smoother. :read: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Make sure you are using super unleaded gas and try not to load it under 3k rpm. mine has never detonated but I am also running colder plugs (CR10EK).

·
Registered
33 Posts
BilRad said:
I just received and installed the JSD-3M and took it on a short ride. It definitely smooths out the throttle and gives mid boost. I did, however, experience a detonation on the ride back home going around a corner, after downshifting and starting to throttle up (sounded like it came from the left side).

Should I be concerned or give it a little time for me to adjust. It does really smooth out the throttle and boy o boy look down fast because you fly fast faster and smoother. :read: :bigthumbsup:
I am curious - what exactly happened, when you experienced the detonation? I have not had anything weird happen since the install of my JSD-3M. Was it a sound, a mechanical vibration, loss of power or what?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lightning - I heard a sound like a backfirfe from the left air intake area. It has not happened since.

·
Registered
584 Posts
BilRad said:
Lightning - I heard a sound like a backfirfe from the left air intake area. It has not happened since.
I've heard this from my bike quite a bit. Is this a big problem? I have not installed the JSD-3M yet.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Lightning said:
I am curious - what exactly happened, when you experienced the detonation? I have not had anything weird happen since the install of my JSD-3M. Was it a sound, a mechanical vibration, loss of power or what?
Detonation is the piston rattling inside the cylinder, You will know it when you hear it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Twin00 said:
I've heard this from my bike quite a bit. Is this a big problem? I have not installed the JSD-3M yet.
Mine and along with a few others in our group sneeze every once in a while too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Twin00 said:
I've heard this from my bike quite a bit. Is this a big problem? I have not installed the JSD-3M yet.
Yes, I have heard this before, when rapping on the throttle, while down shifting. Didn't know that it was detonation, since it was happening before I put the JSD-3M on. Could it be caused by fuel that isn't high enough octane? Looks like I am limited to 91 octane in my area.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Lightning said:
Yes, I have heard this before, when rapping on the throttle, while down shifting. Didn't know that it was detonation, since it was happening before I put the JSD-3M on. Could it be caused by fuel that isn't high enough octane? Looks like I am limited to 91 octane in my area.
You will not hear detonation on decel, You should probablly do a search on google on detonation or pre-ignition. :read:

·
Registered
169 Posts
steve j said:
Make sure you are using super unleaded gas and try not to load it under 3k rpm. mine has never detonated but I am also running colder plugs (CR10EK).
Hey steve, you dinkum about not giving it gas under 3k? I sometimes lug around town becasue of traffic, or simply because I wanna chug, and not race.
I have not heard detonation yet, and probly wont given how aurally cool the cob speedsters are, and now I'm getting worried.
Might pull the jsd until I can dyno and check it with a knock sensor.
Doesnt seem that IT SHOULD ping though, as the jsd doesnt advance the timing beyond what the bike uses anyway in 4th gr as std.
So given that it uses 4th gr timing it should follow that we should not let the bike lug in fourth , say on a highway in traffic or crusing through mountains etc as it would rattle and hum also at that point.
do you see my point, or have I missed something?
Ed

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
perthguy said:
Hey steve, you dinkum about not giving it gas under 3k? I sometimes lug around town becasue of traffic, or simply because I wanna chug, and not race.
I have not heard detonation yet, and probly wont given how aurally cool the cob speedsters are, and now I'm getting worried.
Doesnt seem that IT SHOULD ping though, as the jsd doesnt advance the timing beyond what the bike uses anyway in 4th gr as std.
So given that it uses 4th gr timing it should follow that we should not let the bike lug in fourth , say on a highway in traffic or crusing through mountains etc as it would rattle and hum also at that point.
Ed
If you are running premium 95*-98* you shouldn't have a problem..lot of the guys in the States are running 93* (if I'm not mistaken). But if you do get your bike dyno'd, I (and a lot of others) would be keen to hear if the knock sensor detects anything. It has been heard on dyno in US..hence the move by some to colder plugs over there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gumnut said:
Just remember 91 octane in USA = 95 octane in Australia/ UK
when I think about this, the advance is no more than suki use anyway, its just they use it only in 4th. I thump around town in fourth mostly anyway unless I boot it hard for fun. And in foutrh I lug it. So its lugs in 4th wheather I have the jsd on or not. What will make it ping is crappy fuel, same as my xr8. Give it std ulp and it rattles like hell. My bike and car need pulp. I just cantr see a problem unless the jsd asdvanced the timing beyond wha the bike uses anyway, and it doesnt do that.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
perthguy said:
Hey steve, you dinkum about not giving it gas under 3k? I sometimes lug around town becasue of traffic, or simply because I wanna chug, and not race.
I have not heard detonation yet, and probly wont given how aurally cool the cob speedsters are, and now I'm getting worried.
Ed
I have done it before and it may not knock (detonate) but it will protest in the form of some funny vibration. everything above 3k smooths out. this engine makes it's fair share of noise, and I guess with pistons this size it will but I have never heard mine detonate. since I ride in fairly open spaces and cruise at 90mph or so the CR10EK plugs made sense. I do have the JSD-3M and gutted stock pipes but have put off doing my big air and PC 3 until I can get a baseline dyno of the bike like it is and then after the mods go back for dyno tuning. of course that means I would have to go back for a 3rd time when I finally decide on which 2-1 pipe to buy but I think the wait for V & H will be worth it. I think cruising at under 3k is one thing but loading the bike like dropping the hammer on it under 3k might get it knocking.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
you will get a pop out of them too if you like to monkey with the throttle while your idling, I think it confuses the computer with the TPS (throttle position sensor) and a combination of the pair valve cycling with get a little backfire.

·
Registered
67 Posts
steve j said:
you will get a pop out of them too if you like to monkey with the throttle while your idling, I think it confuses the computer with the TPS (throttle position sensor) and a combination of the pair valve cycling with get a little backfire.
Yep... I only get it when I'm in decel headed for a stoplight and goos the throtle a bit before dropping to a lower gear...

·
Registered
584 Posts
steve j said:
this is when I hear my 109 fire

1 - 17 of 17 Posts