M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have read and re-read all the posts on Jeff's timing retard eliminator and have come to this conclusion:

Thank you :bigthumbsup: . Thank you for re-instating a sense of safety when it comes to my bike. Many a time I have ridden in the rain, getting off to work in the early morning and that first corner up the block comes up real quick, knowing the engine is cold because I'm running late and have to get on the road now. So many times I have dreaded that "Chugga Chugga Chugga" of the first couple of gears when I twist the throttle in a slow corner in the wet, having to compensate with the clutch :verymad: for a 'smooth' roll-on and wondering if the tire will hold. Feeling (quite literally) those massive pistons cranking out the low-end torque and unconsciously my knees grip the tank, my knuckles go white on the grips and I hold my breath.

I received my JSD-3M yesterday. After the 15 minute install my motorcycle is once again under my direction. 100%, tractable is the only term I can come up with to describe the sense of control I have now.

Where once there was fear and respect is now replaced with confidence and elation. I liken the new power to a mustang, just unbridled power and stamina. Along comes a cowboy and breaks that mustang, ALL that power is still there...BUT now it has control and direction.

Thank you Jeff, I was a sceptic like you would not believe, but I figured $45 or so is something I was able to live with just to take a chance that I could control this bad girl. Passing and changing lanes in low gears is a breeze now. Roll on performance under wide open throttle is nothing short of [NOW]

If any of you have ever thought of how your bike would respond with ALL that power under YOUR control from the get go, you need this mod.

Cheers all.

P.S. This is the one my wife bought for me: http://www.jsdproducts.com/Product_Info/JSD-3M/jsd-3m.html

·
Registered
844 Posts
Glad you like it, and I think that for $ 40 it's worthwhile, as well.

HOWEVER, I really doubt that you are experiencing any real difference when you twist the throttle wide-open. As Jeff himself has posted (more than once) -- the JSD does not change the timing retardation when the throttle is in the full open position, except that it eliminates rpm limit at the top in 5th gear.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have to say that the JSD-3M (verson 2) is the second best thing I've put on my bike, after the Big Air. However, it was also the first thing due to price. And I gotta agree with Ruben, it certainly does feel like something is different in 1st-3rd with regards to smoothness.. regardless of throttle position.. Especially now that the Big Air is on and the bike is breathing like it should.

Can't wait for the PCIII and new set of pipes 8)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Can someone explain why there is a switched, unswitched & auto version? I'm guessing the auto version is the one to go with?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That goes back to when Jeff started making them, the first version you had to add your own resistors to, the second version could be switched on and off (for those worried about using a TRE) and then there was the 3M (version 1), automatic required special grounding caused some issues so Jeff went back to the drawing board and now we have the JSD-3M (version 2) which is fully automatic, no grounds, just unplug the factory harness and connect the 2 ends to the 3M.

the new 3M is the only way to go really and its WELL worth the money IMO. Only thing to be careful of is that if you get really crazy with intake and exhaust mods with a PCIII and a proper map or you try runnng lower octane fuel than you should there is a risk of detonation.. and that could cause some serious damage to the engine.

But I think mostly thats related to people running low octane fuel or low quality fuel. A lot of people on here have thousands of miles on their JSD's with no issues. I've personally got about 1k on mine and its been great.

·
Registered
407 Posts
So how many of you guys have gone to a colder plug? NGK CR10ek (or something like that)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
OK I will sound like an idiot........I didn't buy enough plugs!!!! I bought two for my BIG TWIN    Now I need two more! Never will claim to be a motorhead!!! Nobody would believe me anyway!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Still running the stock plugs here. No problems at all! Just run good gas, 91 or better octane(I run 93 here). Now if I was to go South (read trip) I would run a cooler plug,for temp,and fuel reasons. Here in the Mid-West,we don't have allot of bad fuel (no water,ect.) it will freeze up in the winter,but I've found in the warmer climates,you can end up with about anything. If you are forced to fuel up at a small town (population 25) at Zippy's Super Service(1) pump,you can be getting anything! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Glad to see sanity prevailing. JSD ,especially in its latest guise is a GREAT mod for these bikes. I think I am going to get a gen II version so I dont have the ground wire and minor idle issue from my gen I, worth another $45 bucks. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Booda:

The unswitched is always "ON". With the switched -- you can turn it on and off any time you want. (Truthfully, I think that it is only those of us who have the switched version who REALLY know what the JSD does, 'cause you run through the same exact maneuver or terrain sequentially with the JSD either on or off -- and test it any time you want, under real world conditions.

With either of these two, the idle will go up some when you let the clutch out in neutral. The orignial JSD-3M was supposed to solve this, and keep the idle right even when the clutch was let out. It didn't really do this, or at least not consistenly -- so it was redesigned (as stated above) and is now said to work very well.

Which is "best"? I think it is a personal choice, based on what you want.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks for the reply Tomph that's good info to have when I get ready to make my decision. I think my best bet when my nine comes in is to get pass the break in period then start thinking of what to do. I don't want to get too crazy with mods and really like the 109 as is except for the badges and that ugly plastic beaver tail.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
BOODA How ya doing Silentrider here :bigthumbsup: Yes you would be better off to get threw the break-in and take your bike back to the dealer to let them check it out at the 600 mile service IMHO before you put the JSD on it Cause they would have a fit :eek: The JSD would Void your warranty,if you have to take it in for any kind of service you Need to take it off!!! if they see it on there they will drop a milk Dud :D the Package the JSD comes in even Say's for off rode use only! just wanted to tell ya in cause you didn't know! I wouldn't say anything to the Dealer about wanting to put it on either, And it's a great Product I have one also The JSD 3 M ,also you may want to check out some of the 10 plugs to be on the safe side far as detonation,This has a lot to do with the fuel you put in it,From all i have Learned From JR, Perry and the others That Know what there talking about if you can't get good fuel best to run the 10 and be safe!!! Later Silentrider

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I was one of the people who pulled the JSD off when the initial concern over cracked rings came up...  :yikes:

Up until then I felt the JSD helped, but wasn't that critical so I didn't mind yanking it until the dust settled... (Probably due to the fact that I was going through wholesale changes on my bike at the time when I put the JSD on)

Let me tell you, the first day I rode after taking it off I was convinced that I had to get it back on the bike. It's like night and day!

I have since changed my plugs, and after looking at them (this is after a few thousand miles with the JSD and PCIII / Tuned) my plugs were just a little on the dark side, and dry. So it looks like in my setup, climate, altitude, etc. I am good with the 8's.
:doorag:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I believe thats the best thing to do !!! get your bike set up like you want it then run it a little while and pull the plugs and let them tell you what the bike wants :bigthumbsup:
Different set-ups will be different I'm sure! Later Silentrider

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks Silentrider I will follow that course of action for sure I'm not going to rush right out after the break in and start doing air kits, pipes, PCIII etc all that stuff can wait honestly. The 109 is fast enough as is for me and I really like the stock pipes and don't want to go loud with the 109. The most I'm going to do is debadge & loose the plastic tag setup everything else is cool as is; mirrors, grips and so on are not a priority to me. I've spent sooo much money on sooo many bikes riping them apart, modifying and loosing my a$$ on resale. I look at the 109 as my beefy cruiser back & forth to work and solo rider when the family doesn't want to ride. We have the chopper for the family outings. Besides the 109 will be my very first new bike and I can't be ripping it apart right out the gate! Thanks for the tip though!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
While Booda sleeps he hears Silentrider in his dreams ----Boooodddaaaa Big air and PClll make bike run like hell look great Boooddddaaa hehehehe :D :joke:
Later Silentrider :D :D :D

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
actually you're wrong about the warranty thing silentrider. The dealer cannot "void" your warranty for having any aftermarket mod on your bike. If they threaten you with this nonsense call your local BBB. The only time they can refuse to repair something under warranty is if they can "prove" that a mod you made caused said defect.

·
Registered
642 Posts
silentrider said:
While Booda sleeps he hears Silentrider in his dreams ----Boooodddaaaa Big air and PClll make bike run like hell look great Boooddddaaa hehehehe :D :joke:
Later Silentrider :D :D :D
I know what you mean the mod demons will be hitting me hard but I have to resist. You don't know what it took to convice the wife to move from a Yammi Road Star 7,600 used to a BD Chopper 20,000 used and now I want a 109. She thinks I'm crazy but they are two different bikes. Sometimes I don't want to ride the chop I want to be able to jump on my bruiser/cruiser solo and go. Actually my wife has been cool with my whole bike obsession and she supports me either way she knows bikes are in my blood and will never leave. With that being said I at least need to ride the 109 for awhile before I do anything crazy, for now I will have to read what you guys do and be happy.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tomph1 said:
Glad you like it, and I think that for $ 40 it's worthwhile, as well.

HOWEVER, I really doubt that you are experiencing any real difference when you twist the throttle wide-open. As Jeff himself has posted (more than once) -- the JSD does not change the timing retardation when the throttle is in the full open position, except that it eliminates rpm limit at the top in 5th gear.
When i posted "under wide open throttle", I meant before you get to wide open throttle. At ANY setting before you reach the W.O.D. mark. Sorry about the confusion.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts