M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to what pressure you guys are running in your rear tire. My possibly flawed logic tells me that if you run it at 42, it's gonna have too rounded a profile and wear the center out quicker than normal. The reason I was thinking this is the case is because it's designed for a larger rim, and squeezing it on the stock one makes it rounded to begin with. My stock tire is beginning to wear thin, and I'm starting to toy with the idea of the 280 on mine. Just wanted to know what the ideal pressure for that tire is for the most even wear pattern. Also, if I get the tire, how hard is it gonna be to find a shop that will mount it for me seeing the stock rim is out of manufacturer spec?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Medic1210 said:
I'm curious as to what pressure you guys are running in your rear tire. My possibly flawed logic tells me that if you run it at 42, it's gonna have too rounded a profile and wear the center out quicker than normal. The reason I was thinking this is the case is because it's designed for a larger rim, and squeezing it on the stock one makes it rounded to begin with. My stock tire is beginning to wear thin, and I'm starting to toy with the idea of the 280 on mine. Just wanted to know what the ideal pressure for that tire is for the most even wear pattern. Also, if I get the tire, how hard is it gonna be to find a shop that will mount it for me seeing the stock rim is out of manufacturer spec?
I have my tires changed at a small cycle repair shop and not a cycle dealership. The guy treats me fairly and will mount whatever I bring in. He usually charges me $20 cash per wheel and tire. Dealerships have big overhead and liability issues and usually will only mount what they sell :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: I'm currently running a Avon Venom R 250/40-R18 and have a Metz 280/35-R18 in the garage as the replacement for the Venom.

G

·
ppridgen1 said:
mine was running at 40 with two up and 38 with just me, at daytona(deland actually) i dropped it to 32 lbs for a really good grip.....but it grips fine already.....just do it ,you won't regret it :bigthumbsup:
Ppridgen1... Will the dealer do this or do we have to mount them?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Have they still been bullet proof? No issues right?
Once I am employed again I will be needing a new set of tires. I was thinking of getting the 260, but it seems there is plenty of mileage now on the 280 proving them out to be reliable so I might go that way.

Have any of you gone over a thousand miles on one yet?

Sledzep

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
J R said:
If I aint had a problem.I doubt theres gonna be any issue.I have beat that tire like it owed me money and its did nothing but work super good :bigthumbsup:
Thanks for the laugh and the info. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Sledzep

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went a thousand miles on the 280 and it worked great.I now have 1300 miles on the 300 and have had no bad wearing in the middle of the tire.Most or all of the roads I ride on are peaked in the middle so the tire usually will wear evenly across.You will cause more friction in a turn than going in a straight line and that it what uses up a tire.Go with the 280 and enjoy the way your bike will handle.You gave me alot of grief over this tire deal but if you new me in person you would have never doubted me on it.Ride safe and have fun.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
joec said:
You gave me alot of grief over this tire deal but if you new me in person you would have never doubted me on it.Ride safe and have fun.
That I did, and I apologize for that. Unfortunately on a forum like this, you never know what qualifications someone has when they are posting things like that. You get some joe-blow (not a play on your name) saying they stuck something on their bike that hasn't been tested before, it could get others hurt or killed if they follow suit. It's like the joke.... What's the last thing a ******* said to his buddies?.......  "Hey y'all, watch this!"

I still don't know if I'm 100% sure of the safety of the 280 on the stock, but I'm definitely less skeptical of it now as I was originally.... especially since it's got several thousand collective miles on it.  Still, I'm giving is some serious consideration. Much more than I would have a couple months ago when you first did it. Again, sorry for giving you so much grief. Have a beer. :beer3:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
joec said:
I've never had a beer,are they any good.
Well, assuming you're not joking, I'll say there are so many makes and varieties that there's bound to be one you'd like. It's definitely an acquired taste. It took me a pretty long time before I could stand the taste, but by the time I was five, I really began to appreciate the characteristic flavors of a quality import... :joke: Seriously though, I imagine if you've gone this long without trying one, you probably aren't gonna start now. I'll drink one for you.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hey JOEC If you gona try a beer Try one of the best :bigthumbsup: COORS LIGHT :D It's one of the few Beers made with Protein in it,It's made with water from the Rocky Mountains That's were the Protein comes from! It's in the water they use :D You know whats in the water up there? Salmon :D Know what there Doing? Spawning :D :joke: Later Silentrider

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
silentrider said:
Hey JOEC If you gona try a beer Try one of the best :bigthumbsup: COORS LIGHT
:barf: :barf: :barf:

My urine after drinking some decent beers has more body than a Coors Light does (not that I've ever tasted my own urine, but you catch my drift). ;) :joke:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
WAIT A MINUTE! Everyone knows who the KING OF BEERS is: BUDWEISER, the breakfast of champions and made/headquartered in STL. :joke: :D :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I see this thread turning south real quick...

And it's Bud Light :bigthumbsup:

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

·
Registered
47 Posts
you lot need to come over to aus and try some real beer

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'll Have what Dan85 is drinking hahahahaha  :D

I like Bud Light also But Coors Light Is #1 in my Book  :bigthumbsup:
I like most of the light Beers Regular Makes my Head hurt ..........More  :D

Blackcherry You are crazy Dude LOL :D :D :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Man,We need to start a beer thread on here.I might just have to try 3or 4 different types.Actually if you ever go to the bar sober and watch all the drunks it's a blast.I here Bear Whiz Beer is pretty good if you can get past the after taste.Thanks guys ,I think I'll have another Dr.Pepper.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts