M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 nine LE with just 2600 miles on it, i use to ride a CBR600 crockrocket. I love this bike however I'm having some issues coming out of first gear. The front end slides on me and it jerks. This happens about 50% of the time I take off. It seems to clear up once the bike is warm, but I'm not even sure of that either. I got the maintence done and Suzuki told me it was my driving technique. I give it a nice flow of throttle then ease off the clutch and the bike jerks and jumps like it's in a lower gear. But I'm only taking off!!! I insisted to Suzuki something was wrong but he said I may be riding it wrong. This happens alot when first riding the bike and then off and on moderately during riding it. I refuse to think I'm having a procedural issue as I been riding for 8 years and have been on plenty of bikes. I also road a friends m109r and didn't get the jerk reaction. Please advise on what it could be, unless it's me!!! LOL, thanks!

·
Registered
516 Posts
The front end sliding sounds like you're popping a mini-wheelie. With your experience riding it shouldn't be you but have another rider try your bike out and see what happens. If the result is the same you probably need some clutch adjustment.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
slip, slip, slip that clutch

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
When I first got mine it felt very jerky in the lower gears at low rpm. Also the lurch from the swing arm tying to climb the ring gear is a different feeling. I have installed a GIPro and a Cobra Fi2000r and it is sooooo much smoother it is like a whole nother bike. Just not to sure what you mean by the front wheel slides. Is it locked up and leaves a skid mark or are you actually lifting the front wheel because it WILL do that.
Bob

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the clutch cable has been adjusted the day the mechanic performed the 600mile maintenance. I guess the front wheel comes off the ground a bit and feels like it's sliding to me. it's an annoying feeling especially when you think you know how to ride a bike from 8 yrs exp. i haven't let another rider other than the mechanic give it a try. I would hate to see someone accidentally drop my nine. How does the Power commander work?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ride up to DE and I will check it out for you. Your mechanic is probably stupid. The throttle is really sensitive on these bikes, and you should look into getting a TRE, GI Pro is the best.

If you really want, PM me your number and I will meet you half way sometime and take a look at it. Only downside is, that you will have to come over the bay bridge tunnell.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ride up to DE and I will check it out for you. Your mechanic is probably stupid. The throttle is really sensitive on these bikes, and you should look into getting a TRE, GI Pro is the best.

If you really want, PM me your number and I will meet you half way sometime and take a look at it. Only downside is, that you will have to come over the bay bridge tunnell.
you wouldn't happened to being going to bike week in the Outerbanks NC this april 23rd would you? I come to South Jersey about once per month, maybe we can set something up this spring. Do you have a shop name?

·
Registered
913 Posts
you wouldn't happened to being going to bike week in the Outerbanks NC this april 23rd would you? I come to South Jersey about once per month, maybe we can set something up this spring. Do you have a shop name?
No, not going to the outerbanks. We can set up anytime you want. I dont have a shop. I'm the only one that has ever riden my bike and I'm the only one thats ever worked on my bike, so I know it pretty well. I bought my '08 in May of '08, so the only difference in our bikes is the plastics and speedo gauge. Any questions, you can feel free to ask me.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts

that is some good info. you probably have some 109 members near you that are willing to check out your bike and give you a better evaluation. sounds like your dealer/mechanic is not really looking into the problem as he should. just chalking it up to riding technique sounds like a lame excuse for their laziness.

keep us posted on what you and irish find out.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
OutterBanks :bigthumbsup:
Three of the Richmond crew are gonna be there
And Irish is Right , try the TRE , it smoothes out the lower Gears

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
109 Issues

In stock form, this bike can have several issues (some do some don't), so it makes it hard to pin down the problem.
1. Clutch shudder. Sometimes when is cold, the clutch will grab and release, grab and release, setting up a shudder in the drive train.
Various solutions have been tried. Warming up the bike more while working the clutch, leaning the bike over to the right to get oil to the clutch plates seems to work for some. Soaking the clutch plates in oil overnight worked for me, but requires quite a bit of disassembly.
2. Touchy throttle. Since the bike runs lean from the factory for emissions reasons, it is quite touchy to throttle inputs. The power comes on suddenly, making it hard to control. A fuel controller richens up the mixture and makes it much easier to ride. The Cobra FI2000 is the simplest to deal with, but many people like the Power Commander/dyno tune route.
A TRE (timing retard eliminator)like the Gipro changes the ignition timing (and top speed) and makes it smoother and less jumpy too. Lots of us have both fuel management and a TRE.
3. Clutch adjustment. The clutch cable seems to need constant fine adjustments at the handlebar to feel right. Too little release and it lurches forward when you drop it into first. Too much and it can slip, or stretch the cable. This bikes clutch cable tightens up under hard acceleration, even after rerouting away from the motor mount. Getting it adjusted right takes some trial and error.
If all this sounds like the bike is high maintenance, it is at first, but is a great bike to own after you get the kinks worked out.

·
Registered
506 Posts
In stock form, this bike can have several issues (some do some don't), so it makes it hard to pin down the problem.
1. Clutch shudder. Sometimes when is cold, the clutch will grab and release, grab and release, setting up a shudder in the drive train.
Various solutions have been tried. Warming up the bike more while working the clutch, leaning the bike over to the left to get oil to the clutch plates seems to work for some. Soaking the clutch plates in oil overnight worked for me, but requires quite a bit of disassembly.
2. Touchy throttle. Since the bike runs lean from the factory for emissions reasons, it is quite touchy to throttle inputs. The power comes on suddenly, making it hard to control. A fuel controller richens up the mixture and makes it much easier to ride. The Cobra FI2000 is the simplest to deal with, but many people like the Power Commander/dyno tune route.
A TRE (timing retard eliminator)like the Gipro changes the ignition timing (and top speed) and makes it smoother and less jumpy too. Lots of us have both fuel management and a TRE.
3. Clutch adjustment. The clutch cable seems to need constant fine adjustments at the handlebar to feel right. Too little release and it lurches forward when you drop it into first. Too much and it can slip, or stretch the cable. This bikes clutch cable tightens up under hard acceleration, even after rerouting away from the motor mount. Getting it adjusted right takes some trial and error.
If all this sounds like the bike is high maintenance, it is at first, but is a great bike to own after you get the kinks worked out.
:agree:
I bet he doesn't have TRE.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,036 Posts
It's hard to believe the front wheel is coming off the ground and you wouldn't know it. It takes a pretty hard launch to do that and some good traction. There's a lot of guys local to you that should be able to help you with this.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
your rear tire will brake loose before the front end come's up.you must be launching pretty hard.What are your rpm's when you take off.

·
Registered
680 Posts
:agree:with cbr1000dude.
I mthink it is most likelyn a clutch shudder!
1st make sure your oil level is right. Cant hurt to soak them plates overnight.
Start the bike in Neutral, Warm up, put into 1stb gtear, lean bike over to the right for 10 sec. At traffic lights i leave in 1st gear vrather than neutral. Seems to like this better. Im due a oil change soon and Im going to run some 20\50 this should stick to the plates a little better as well as get rid of the cluncking.
Juice109

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update on jerking

Okay guys, sorry for the late reply. My email wasn't setup to notify me when someone commented on my post.

1st, yes I start the bike out in neutral at all times,
2ndly, when I do let it warm up , it seems to be less temperamental. I rode yesterday and it was quite warm all day. I had maybe one jerking incident.Even when the dealer technician road it and chalked it up to riding technique, the bike had been ridden and warmed up, so this narrows the problem down to cold bike syndrome for the most part.

3rd, the oil change has been done and the maintenance is up to day. The dealer even tighten up the clutch cable at the handlebar of course.

CBRDUDE1000, you make some good points on what is causing this. The wheel may not be totally clearing the ground, but it sure feels like it's sliding. I"ll try leaning the bike to the side when starting out and and see what happens.

Everyone is recommending TRE and fuel management thing but ecomonically speaking, it won't be right away. I will definately consider it later though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts