M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jake wilson has excellant prices on his tires, I have been trying to talk him into carrying the metzeler 160/60/18 for the oversteer problems with our nines. He sent me back a message and ask what Metzeler we would want him to carry in his line up. The fact is I haven't made the change on my nine and was going to do it when the elite 3 dunnie wore out on the front. What is the Metzeler tire we need for this fix? PM me as soon as possible and I will answer his email. Thanks Kevin Nyberg Cadillac, Michigan:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
Jake wilson has excellant prices on his tires, I have been trying to talk him into carrying the metzeler 160/60/18 for the oversteer problems with our nines. He sent me back a message and ask what Metzeler we would want him to carry in his line up. The fact is I haven't made the change on my nine and was going to do it when the elite 3 dunnie wore out on the front. What is the Metzeler tire we need for this fix? PM me as soon as possible and I will answer his email. Thanks Kevin Nyberg Cadillac, Michigan:dontknow:
What oversteer problem? Maybe you have other problems then your tire. :dontknow:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oversteer

When you enter a curve and the bike doesn't follow it and trys to stand back upright that is oversteer meaning that the front tire is trying to carve a quicker corner than the rear, these nines with the stock size front definitely have oversteer and a 160/60 18 will correct that problem. Where have you been. this has been kicked around for quite a while now.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
When you enter a curve and the bike doesn't follow it and trys to stand back upright that is oversteer meaning that the front tire is trying to carve a quicker corner than the rear, these nines with the stock size front definitely have oversteer and a 160/60 18 will correct that problem. Where have you been. this has been kicked around for quite a while now.
I think Ryno was wanting to find out if the tire you are currently running isn't showing signs of abnormal wear. But the tire you are looking for it the ME880, but just an FYI, I bought my Avons from jake wilson (Storm 160/60/18 and Cobra 250/40/18 ) and I loved them.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tire problems

I have Elite 3's on the nine right now in stock size and they are wearing correctly with no obvious problems except for the fact that the nine has always tried to stand up when running curves. it just doesn't want to stay at the lean angle to go thru the curve smoothly as it should. Oversteer!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i think he was just trying to help you out bro. he's been around for 17,446 posts helping us out bro.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have Elite 3's on the nine right now in stock size and they are wearing correctly with no obvious problems except for the fact that the nine has always tried to stand up when running curves. it just doesn't want to stay at the lean angle to go thru the curve smoothly as it should. Oversteer!
You are the first person I've ever heard complain of "over steer" on a motorcycle. Oversteer is caused by one of 3 things. #1)....mechanical setup, 99% of the time this applies to 4-wheeled vehicles. #2)....too fast for the ability of the tires to grip the road. Usually caused by #3).....too fast for conditions of the road, the tightness of the turn, angle, etc.

I've got the same tires you do, 8,000+ miles and no issues, wear-related or otherwise.

Just out of curiousity, when you go into a turn, do you push or pull the inside grip?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
My 9 doesn't try & stand up in curves. It just leans and goes with the flow. My tires are stock.

I rode a Victory with a fat a$$ and it did try & stand up in curves.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I think Ryno was wanting to find out if the tire you are currently running isn't showing signs of abnormal wear. But the tire you are looking for it the ME880, but just an FYI, I bought my Avons from jake wilson (Storm 160/60/18 and Cobra 250/40/18 ) and I loved them.
We should have swapped rims and tires before you went to Texas!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
We should have swapped rims and tires before you went to Texas!
Yeah we should've, I only had 2 days after the deal was made before I left so it would have been a tight squeeze. But trust me I thought about it. I especially wished I would have stripped off some good stuff after I got down there and found out about the back tire. Oh well. You still planning on coming down this weekend?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stock tires

You are the first person I've ever heard complain of "over steer" on a motorcycle. Oversteer is caused by one of 3 things. #1)....mechanical setup, 99% of the time this applies to 4-wheeled vehicles. #2)....too fast for the ability of the tires to grip the road. Usually caused by #3).....too fast for conditions of the road, the tightness of the turn, angle, etc.

I've got the same tires you do, 8,000+ miles and no issues, wear-related or otherwise.

Just out of curiousity, when you go into a turn, do you push or pull the inside grip?
I never said that I was wearing out my tires premature, my rubber is fine on the bike, they aren't wearing out funny or riding on one side or the other, tires are in mint condition for having 6000 miles on them. They should wear out by the end of next season.
I have never pulled on the handle bars going into a turn with any of the seven motorcycles I have had. But when a motorcycle does go thru the curve without having to alter its path with the bars the tires are right. My nine doesn't it wants to stand back up in a turn instead of going thru cleanly, that definitley is oversteer and none of the other seven ever tried to stand back up in the curves. The front tire is trying to carve a shorter couse thru the corner.If yours doesn't I don't know what to tell you but I have had people that know how to set up a motorcycle check my nine and there is nothing wrong with the alignment on it. So if that isn't oversteer what is it?

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
What oversteer problem? Maybe you have other problems then your tire. :dontknow:
Absolutely! I have a E3 250 out back and a 130 up front, and could not be happier with the way my bike handles. Also they are appearing to be 9,000 mile tires, from what the tread is doing at the 4,500 mark. :bigthumbsup:

There is absoultely no way I would put a fat tire up front anyhow, as I more like the look of a fat rear/skinny front. I would actually prefer to put a skinnier tire up front, than a fatter one.

In any event, I have not noticed any oversteer problems. Oversteer means the bike tries to turn faster than the rider desires. If anything this bike suffers from understeer, and thus takes a lot of counter-steering to make a turn. And I like counter-steering, the more the merrier.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Despite all of the bickering and differing opinions about handling and over or under steer, the Metzeler ME880 Marathon 160/60vr18 is the tire I used for my fat front. I took it off after 14,000 miles with no ill effects with handling or abnormal wear on the thread. I swapped mine so I could try ouot the Avon Storm 160/60zr18, to match the 250 Avon cobra I bought. Jakewilson.com already carries the Avon Storm.

-Josh

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Despite all of the bickering and differing opinions about handling and over or under steer, the Metzeler ME880 Marathon 160/60vr18 is the tire I used for my fat front. I took it off after 14,000 miles with no ill effects with handling or abnormal wear on the thread. I swapped mine so I could try ouot the Avon Storm 160/60zr18, to match the 250 Avon cobra I bought. Jakewilson.com already carries the Avon Storm.

-Josh
Only one difference is that the storm is now discontinued and they carry the storm2, which is a dual compound tire. You can find the storm but they are only being carried by a couple retailers until their current stock is gone. Here is a link to one of the few places that I have found still have it in stock.

http://www.bikebandit.com/avon-storm-av56-st-sport-touring-radial-motorcycle-tire

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have never pulled on the handle bars going into a turn with any of the seven motorcycles I have had. But when a motorcycle does go thru the curve without having to alter its path with the bars the tires are right. My nine doesn't it wants to stand back up in a turn instead of going thru cleanly, that definitley is oversteer and none of the other seven ever tried to stand back up in the curves. The front tire is trying to carve a shorter couse thru the corner.If yours doesn't I don't know what to tell you but I have had people that know how to set up a motorcycle check my nine and there is nothing wrong with the alignment on it. So if that isn't oversteer what is it?
OK, what were the other bikes you owned? Any of them with a fat rear like the 9? I'll bet none.

The handling of the 9 is totally different than any bike with a narrower rear tire, or any setup where the front and rear tires are closer in ratio than the 9 is.

If your frame is good, and nothing is bent or broken, then the 'oversteer' your experiencing is rider-generated. Just need to get used to the different handling characteristics and compensate for it.

And yes, putting a 160 up front will give a different feel to the bike as well.

G

·
I never said that I was wearing out my tires premature, my rubber is fine on the bike, they aren't wearing out funny or riding on one side or the other, tires are in mint condition for having 6000 miles on them. They should wear out by the end of next season.
Shaft drive effect. Squats under acceleration, unloads when you get off the throttle, in effect "standing up" as you say. In other words, maybe you ain't riding it right. No offense. :)

I am aware of what you speak, but oversteer, it's not. Brake before turn, start turn, get on it, and it comes right around just like a sportbike.

G

·
OK, what were the other bikes you owned? Any of them with a fat rear like the 9? I'll bet none.

The handling of the 9 is totally different than any bike with a narrower rear tire, or any setup where the front and rear tires are closer in ratio than the 9 is.

If your frame is good, and nothing is bent or broken, then the 'oversteer' your experiencing is rider-generated. Just need to get used to the different handling characteristics and compensate for it.

And yes, putting a 160 up front will give a different feel to the bike as well.
160 in effect slows the steering down a tad, doesn't it? More unsprung weight, gyro effect, profile. Just asking, not flaming.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
160 in effect slows the steering down a tad, doesn't it? More unsprung weight, gyro effect, profile. Just asking, not flaming.
:dontknow: Don't know. Haven't run that big a tire up front yet to really feel the difference. Some here already running a fatty up front are saying its really smooth.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
:dontknow: Don't know. Haven't run that big a tire up front yet to really feel the difference. Some here already running a fatty up front are saying its really smooth.
IMO the Avon Storm 160 made the front end more neutral (compared to the elite 3 130) and easier to lean over in a corner. I love how light it made the front end feel. I can't speak for the Metz but I had absolutely no complaints about the Avon. More clearance on the front end, more dampening from more rubber, and better handling, it was a win/win situation for me. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts