M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy new year to all!

Does anyone here jack up their 9 during the off season or when you will not ride for a while? Is there any benefits to doing this. I use a craftsmen 1500lb. motorcycle jack.

Thank You in advance for your feedback and Please ride safe.:bigthumbsup:

Frank

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't jack mine up. I can ride a little bit all year long down here. The main reason to jack it up is if it will sit for a while is may get flat spots on the tires and make for a ruff ride. I know some of my firetrucks don't get driven for weeks at a time and they get flat spots bad (they are heavy).

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I have a jack but don't use it to store the bike. I'm afraid it will fall off! I'm in MN, so the bike sits for quite a while. I just make sure that I have the air in the tires topped off before parking. I've never had an issue or flat spots.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
mines jacked up all winter cause I cant leave it alone. each winter it gets torn down to the frame and motor. Im making a stand for mine to get that darn jack out of the way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got mine on a jack all winter. IMO it saves the tires and I can easily drag it to where ever I need to do any work on it in the garage.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
the only thing I have ever heard was that if it sits on cement in really cold climates the cement will suck the humidity out of the tires.... never had it happen, never seen it .......just heard it. I have mine on carpet or on the trailer for most the winter here in Ohio..

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hey!!

I place my bike on a carpet in the garage and place a jack stand under the drive shaft area just to take pressure off the kick stand for the winter

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
I never jack mine up, but I try to ride it at least once a month during the winter. I do have it sitting on a piece of plywood though. In the 40+ years I've been riding bikes I've never jacked them up other than to work on them.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I never jack mine up, but I try to ride it at least once a month during the winter. I do have it sitting on a piece of plywood though. In the 40+ years I've been riding bikes I've never jacked them up other than to work on them.
:agree: yup, same here

·
Registered
5,847 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Definately on a stand. Besides protecting the tires (was -28 over night) from the ice cold concrete, the m/c jack is on wheels so that I can push the whole thing out of the way and into a corner. At these temperatures, I need my vehicles inside the garage.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Got my jack at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/lightweight-aluminum-motorcycle-lift-94715.html

Slide right under the bike. If i want to go higher i can block the bike and put the extension pad on.

I like the idea of making a stand to slide the jack out and have more room when changing oil. I'm a welder so its not going to take much to make a pipe stand. I have lots of pipe around here being a X iron worker.

Hope the link works for you guys.

Dave

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I don't jack mine up. I can ride a little bit all year long down here. The main reason to jack it up is if it will sit for a while is may get flat spots on the tires and make for a ruff ride. I know some of my firetrucks don't get driven for weeks at a time and they get flat spots bad (they are heavy).
:agree: I ride the bike at least once every 2 weeks even in the winter, but the lightning gets driven maybe once every 6 weeks. Sometimes I can feel a flat spot on those tires.

On a related note, after a few below 20 degree nights, I drove my ford ranger and got a real bad vibration, or wheel hope for the first 5-8 miles. As the tires warmed up, the wheel hope went away.
Is it possible that some moisture could have been in the tire, and formed ice, which in turn threw the wheel balance off? This might sound like a dumb question, but I can't think of another reason.
Just asking.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
On a related note, after a few below 20 degree nights, I drove my ford ranger and got a real bad vibration, or wheel hope for the first 5-8 miles. As the tires warmed up, the wheel hope went away.
Is it possible that some moisture could have been in the tire, and formed ice, which in turn threw the wheel balance off? This might sound like a dumb question, but I can't think of another reason.
Just asking.
Have you ever put fix-a-flat in it? I had the same issue with my Ranger. I got a nail or bolt in a rear tire and it threw it out, which meant it was losing air fast. The closest place to get something to fix it was a Walmart, so I got a can of fix-a-flat and put in it. One didn't seal so I went in and got another. I'm guessing that has to be at least 1 1/2 pounds of weight. I plugged it when I got home but the gunk was still in there. It was fine all summer and at a little below freezing, but when we had some of those days in the teens it would feel like the wheel was hopping off the pavement for a few miles.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Have you ever put fix-a-flat in it? I had the same issue with my Ranger. I got a nail or bolt in a rear tire and it threw it out, which meant it was losing air fast. The closest place to get something to fix it was a Walmart, so I got a can of fix-a-flat and put in it. One didn't seal so I went in and got another. I'm guessing that has to be at least 1 1/2 pounds of weight. I plugged it when I got home but the gunk was still in there. It was fine all summer and at a little below freezing, but when we had some of those days in the teens it would feel like the wheel was hopping off the pavement for a few miles.
:dontknow:Never used fix-a-flat, slime, plugs, or anything in those tires. They have only been on the truck for about 4 months. The rims came off a 05 edge, but they are like new.
The mystery continues.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
mine never cools down to be put up, I ride 365 days a year. well, except for today its raining so its close to 365 :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have never had issues will radial tire's during storage with my bike or the car ..usually with the winters we have 7 months of non heated inside storage is the normal,Check tire pressure's ,install battery tenders and pray for sunshine,
The only time i can recall is when we had an old 79 chev pu with bias ply tires after it was sitting for a while it would shake you right out of the seat for the first few miles.

·
Registered
211 Posts
:agree: I ride the bike at least once every 2 weeks even in the winter, but the lightning gets driven maybe once every 6 weeks. Sometimes I can feel a flat spot on those tires.

Just asking.
Yes if the air compressor you use doesn't use a water trap then you could have water in your tire. Shouldn't be much but it could throw your tire off balance until it melts a little.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts