M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've replaced the exhaust gaskets and I swear I can still hear an exhaust leak. I don't know what else it could be. I hear it on the left side of the bike (while riding) down by the clutch/oil fill area. I'm stumped

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
were ever there is a exhaust leak there will be black soot type stuff (carbon) if you can find evidence of that you will have your leak sir.

is it noticeable at idle??

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I have a mechcanic that would reach over and turn the radio up and say, can you hear it now? He's a ****bird!
But you should see a black carbon area.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
get some ultra copper by permatex. its a high temp silicone gasket maker. use it along with your exhaust gaskets on both sides of the gasket. it works. you may or may not have to re-do it every 6 months or so. i havent used it that long but that is what i was told. for now, i dont have a leak and that is a good thing.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I've replaced the exhaust gaskets and I swear I can still hear an exhaust leak. I don't know what else it could be. I hear it on the left side of the bike (while riding) down by the clutch/oil fill area. I'm stumped
I'm sorry, but how are you hearing an exhaust leak on the "left" side? Are you sure it's not an "Intake noise" coming from the breather on the left? Sounds like the left intake or the breather box under the tank to me :dontknow:

Don

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
The sure way to find exhaust leaks.

1. While the bike is running take two rags and block off the end of the tailpipes(for 3-5 seconds). If you have a leak in the exhaust it will become louder. And when you release the rags you should get a pressure pop.

2. You can also try a smoke test. If you are not a smoker, then you will need to bum your first cigarette. Light it up and let the smoke go around the areas that you suspect. It will move the smoke easily.

I'm sorry, but how are you hearing an exhaust leak on the "left" side? Are you sure it's not an "Intake noise" coming from the breather on the left? Sounds like the left intake or the breather box under the tank to me :dontknow:

Don
I suspect the same thing since he stated that it is coming from the left side.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got back from a ride on the interstate pulled in the driveway and left it running, got down on a knee and looked at the front exhaust bolts and they're clean, no carbon, checked the back of the flanges and nothing. It sounds like its coming from inside the engine, like something isn't tight since it's a clicking noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts