M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
riding today and it started missing above 3grand in all gears after about 30 min...good and warm. Have know idea why and it's kinda frustrating....starving for gas or air or both. had to nurse it home, got so bad struggled getting up hills. It's on 08 with kn air and 6k miles. never any issues til now. any thoughts

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
there are a Few things that can cause those type symptoms , the easy things are the Fuel filter , have you Put plugs in or any Other Service that may have not been Battened down good ????

Been there before

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sounds pure and simple like its starvin for fuel. Does it do this from start up, or after running a lil while? I have read on this board where several owners have had to replace the In-tank fuel filter because it was gummed up/clogged and acting just like you describe.

good luck
Okie9er

·
Registered
396 Posts
There seems to be a rash of this type of problem recently. Mine is in the shop now for the same thing and there are two other owners in my area complaining of the same symptoms. My dealer ran a check on mine and found a fault indicating a bad STV valve, after changing the plugs and adjusting the throttle cables, the issue seemed to disappear. I'm anxious to see if this done the trick. If not I guess we replace the STV valve.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have new kn air filters on...about 400 miles on them....had the tank off same time re wiring the stebel...plug covers were off to paint but no engine work done...was planning on doing the plugs at the standard 7500....i've got 6k on it now...this just did this for the first time yesterday and then today...seems to happen after i've been riding awhile and the engine is good and hot...been real warm here 80's past few days. maybe sucked up something but it's not an issue when engine is cool so it seems. something definately wrong but won't duplicate until hot.....i'll do some research. i have a jsd also....could that be doing any harm?? never had an issue with it yet. anyway...really confused...

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
I would doubt that it is the JSD but you can always spend 10 minutes and take it off and check. I would agree with everyone that it sounds like a fuel issue. You could also try sweeping the TPS sensor.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,146 Posts
The next time it does it, stop and remove the fuel cap. It almost sounds like it's not venting properly and the tank is under a vacuum. Though that should happen more cold than hot.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Same Symptoms, Intermittent Problem.

Only when bike has been ridden over an hour and is good & warm.
I was able to cycle the power, and bike would run fine.
Last Saturday even went as far as removing battery, no change - limped home.
Changed plugs, old ones white not fouled.
Removed K&N filters (filthy), put stock filters back in.
Ran bike hard for an hour & a half, had a coffee while it smoldered.
Ran it on the highway at top speed for half an hour, no problems.

I'm going to ride tomorrow, about a four hour ride.
I will post results.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Sounds like the same symptoms I had that kept everyone at Suzuki and here on the forum baffled for a month! We were convinced it was starving for gas, or that we had bad gas, blah, blah, blah. Some of you may recall that my exhaust had been removed and the wires were pinched when it was re-mounted. Simple fix, but the symptoms were misleading, to say the least. ;)

So, I'll ask...has your exhaust pipe been off the bike recently? :dontknow:

·
Registered
501 Posts
setting here with distant 1 scratching our heads. we both have the same problem. i put new plugs in mine and put stock filters back in (k&n were filthy) we rode about 12 miles and mine started acting up again. what is weird is his is stock exhaust no fi 2000,mine is aftermarket exhaust with fi 2000. we have eliminated most of the obvious things. we are waiting on ironman 7235 to get his back to see if it is fixed (same problem). weird thing both of our bikes ran fine before this. problem comes up when bikes get hot.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm leaning the way of bad gas, but one question not yet asked is there a FI code. Sometimes the computer will set a code, but NOT turn on the light. Find out if there are any codes. Check the electrical connections at the battery, grounds, and the computer connections. Check connections to your TPS and SVT, they could be crossed. Coils could be getting hot and causing an open. LOTs of things!!! Worst case scenario is headgasket problems.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No FI light on mine. I put a bottle of "heat" in there today....disconnected and reconnected the fuel sensor (brown connector under the tank) cleaned around gas cap....lots of gunk......didn't have time to ride it though so i will see. hopefully the heat worked and i had moisture in my tank from winter. like i said...it just started happening out of the blue 2 days ago. one tank ago, and then i filled it up yesterday and it did it again after it was hot. fuel filter will be next to check and replace....svt?? i will have to check my service manual for that one. not familiar as of right now. on a good note, i got my wife buell blast running....changed the "plug" lol.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also disconnected my jsd for sh#$ and giggles. started it up and it ran up to about 5 grand on its own...got my attention but it just did it once...like it was resetting or something....i will ride it tommorow and see what happens. where can i get a fuel strainer/filter?? auto zone, or will suzuki dealer have them? thanks.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts