M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help I'm new -- Noticed a small greenish residue on the chrome, left side (transmission box?) eminating from between the cylinders that seems to have dried from a leak of somekind. Is this the coolant leak symtom I've read about often on this site? See bad pic if I can get it attached.

Sorry think I failed at adding the pic. The residue is opaque mostly whitish with a little green cast to it and it is about 3/16 inch wide starting like it dripped from bewteen the cylinders and down the side of the casing to the underside of the bike and dried because of the heat leaving a residue as described.

Can anyone diagnose this symptom from this not-so-good description?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi, This does sound like the leaky clamp problem many of us have had. The 06 units had this problem, what year is yours? There are 3 clamps to look at. Search for leaks and you will find the fixxx. JOHN

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
yep,it is!Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the confirmation -- my M109R is a 2006 and I was hoping the silver color didn't leak.

Got it Sept. 9 so dealer should be willing to help. Unfortunately he's 90 miles away. Sounds like a road trip.

Is the typical coolant leak kind of slow or did many find need to add coolant prior to repair?

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
jshumak said:
Thanks for the confirmation -- my M109R is a 2006 and I was hoping the silver color didn't leak.

Got it Sept. 9 so dealer should be willing to help. Unfortunately he's 90 miles away. Sounds like a road trip.

Is the typical coolant leak kind of slow or did many find need to add coolant prior to repair?
All the ones I've seen have been pretty slow leaks. You could just fix it yourself if it's too far to the dealer. Just need to tighten some clamps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
jshumak, it sounds like it's definitely the coolant leak that most of us had on the '06. I have an '06 silver, and it did exactly what you describe at about 200 miles. I took mine to the dealer, but as others have noted, this isn't a huge problem to fix on your own if you're 90 miles from the dealer. I watched them do it. They just took off the right side air cleaner and tightened up the clamp that's on the hose between the heads near the top.

This link is to a discussion under the "Tech Tips" folder that has more details on how others dealt with it.
http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1008.0

Good luck !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information. I'll attempt the fix tonight.

I just read the how to load pics thread and will try again to add the pic of the leak residue primarily for practice in posting,

·
Registered
256 Posts
I noticed a green trail running off the left side of my engine today. I have an 06 Burple with 290 miles on it. Thanks for this post as I know exactly what to do to fix it.

Joe 8)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The109 will tend to leak if 'hammered' before it is properly warmed up. Most likely the water pump pressurizing the coolant system before the thermostat has opened to relieve the pressure. No biggie..coolant just washes off! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
rasputin said:
The109 will tend to leak if 'hammered' before it is properly warmed up. Most likely the water pump pressurizing the coolant system before the thermostat has opened to relieve the pressure. No biggie..coolant just washes off! :bigthumbsup:
I noticed that when I took my daughter for a ride. I hammered the bike from a start and when we were finished the leak had developed. I haven't seen it since, I was going to take it to the dealer but if the problem isn't there you can't fix it. I am just keeping an eye on it and see if it developes again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts