M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting a lot of spray from the 90 degree connector, and the catch can doesn't seem to absorb oil quickly, so it seems to spray out also, though the top of the sponge inside is the only part soaked with oil.

I may just get a turkey baster to pull some oil out to get it to the normal line.

Any suggestions? Should I replace this catch can with something else? In case it does puke again, hopefully prevent the 1 hour of cleaning up oil.

Last question, I'm still new to M109. What is the box that the main hose comes out of in pic 2862? I circled it.

Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure I follow, Rock. The hose runs as high as probably possible. It's secured to the bottom of the seat area.

I got a feeling that this isn't a good setup. The oil is overpressuring that hose, apparently. What are better setups to use?

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Look at K109's write up. I did the catch can just like his and it works great. I have 1500 miles on mine and I have only had one drop of oil in the bottom. It works awesome. Plus I ride more without cleaning the oil puke every time I ride. My 9 used to puke all the time at highway speeds. Let me know if you need any help. The only thing I did differently was I pulled and plugged all of the small holes on the back of the aircleaners. Just left the big hole open.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
Is your setup vented anywhere???

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
That's not right at all bro. You need the can to be the highest part in the system, and the hose should run downhill from it back to the engine. That way any oil that gets into the hose can return to the engine. The way yours is, any oil in the hose is going to be forced into the catch can.

Ideally the hose runs up to the can, then another hose runs from the can up a couple more inches. That way the upper hose can collect any vapors and let it drop back into the can as well. I don't like the idea of just a vented can on the end of a hose. Might as well just have a filter on it.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Mine is a vented clear plastic bottle mounted under the rear-most right hand lower engine cover, the one impersonating a transmission. The bottle is mounted upright with two hoses entering the lid, one from the engine, the other to atmosphere, both uphill. No filter on the end period. Its been on my bike for over four years and I've had ZERO problems with it, no leakage, no blow-by, nothing. Just a little oil sitting in the bottom of the bottle that ain't going nowhere.

I've used this same system on practically every bike I have owned since the mid 80s, never had a problem with it on any bike. Never used a filter on the vent line either. My last CBX was pushing 60,000 miles with this system and never experienced any problems.

The after-market oil seperator installed on my blown Lightning is uphill all the way, and not a problem, even with a Roots supercharger huffing it up.

So all this uphill is wrong stuff has me scratching my head a bit.???

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Uphill battle?

To answer the OPs question, the circled box is the oil breather. It allows air and oil mist to escape, so the oil stays in the engine/transmision. But if there is too much oil (more than it was designed for) in the system, it WILL come out somewhere. Our pistons act as a big pump on the downstroke.
So if it's overfilled 1/2 a quart, a little 2 ounce catch can WILL overflow/spray, no matter where it's placed.
The whole idea of a catch can is to contain a small amount of oil from making a big mess of your air filters and air box. Even 1 ounce is quite messy.
BTW, just using one of the 2 drain plugs on the bottom of the engine is going to work a lot better than a turkey baster. If you don't have a lift, just roll both wheels up on some 2 inch lumber, and it will lean over enough to get at the drain plug.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
I delt with my puking issue for about a year and I have had several other people check the level on my 9 on more than one occasion. They all came up with the same level reading that I did that was within the low and high mark. Mine first puked with stock filters. I then switched to K&N's. Still puked. I then just installed the catch can and it is something I should of done the first time. I believe it has to do with alot of pressure from the crankcase. By installing the catch can it is relieving some of that pressure. In my case anyway. Just my .02

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
save the drama dont overfill it and you wont need a catch can.
When I first bought my bike, the dealer showed me the method for checking the oil level, and showed me mine was correct. It puked during the 600 miles break-in. I put the catch can on when I got it back from that. I keep the oil level correct, still there is oil in the catch can.

So you can take your sarcastic comments and shove them.

Frikkin know-it-all.:mad:

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
When I first bought my bike, the dealer showed me the method for checking the oil level, and showed me mine was correct. It puked during the 600 miles break-in. I put the catch can on when I got it back from that. I keep the oil level correct, still there is oil in the catch can.

So you can take your sarcastic comments and shove them.

Frikkin know-it-all.:mad:
WTF, do you think dealers know everything? Half of them know jack shti, The fools over filled mine on the first service.

Obviously i know something aye punk cause mine does not puke Now since i do it myself.

why doesnt every 109 have a catch can ? find a new dealer.
Whatever works for ya.

Happy catch-canning .

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
Its not always the over fill of oil BS that most people think it is. If the 9 is run at high rpms for a long time it runs the chance of puking. I have run fine for a long time but when I run high rpms for a while it will puke some. Yeah I dont bring to dealers either because 95% of them are idiots around here. They told me they needed to remove the exhaust to get my tires off. So I went elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Its not always the over fill of oil BS that most people think it is. If the 9 is run at high rpms for a long time it runs the chance of puking. I have run fine for a long time but when I run high rpms for a while it will puke some. Yeah I dont bring to dealers either because 95% of them are idiots around here. They told me they needed to remove the exhaust to get my tires off. So I went elsewhere.
now that was funny stuff.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I dont think ALL puling issues are caused by over filling , I know of more than one Car manufacturer that has had to Do recalls for this same problem ,Oil vapor separators have to be updated occasionally ,also some Oils are more Prone to vaporization than others

Blanket statements are easy and fun sometimes , but are full of it most of the time

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Logic?

We sure get a lot of emotional responses to the "puking" issue from a bunch of men whose strong suit is suppose to be logic.
Why not examine what we know, and come up with a logical soluton instead?
1. If oil is coming out of the engine, regardless of how careful we've been filling/checking it, doesn't that mean there's too much in there? It's certainly too much to be contained. No reason to take that personally.
2. Since some have ridden 1000's of miles since their last oil change, and now have a mess, doesn't this seem like the oil has been accumulating in the hose/airbox/filter pods, and now is coming out because it's saturated rather than just happened all at once?
3. The 109's oil check procedure is what it is, moaning about it won't help.
4. If you had any other problem, and kept trying to solve it by doing the same thing, and it didn't work, would you keep trying the same thing?
Suggestions:
1. Always measure the amount of oil you drain out, come on, this isn't that hard. Don't add more that you measured.
2. Remove the source of the problem, the oil breather routed into the airbox. It certainly won't harm the planet more than spewing oil all over yourself and the bike.
Yes, some people may have a bad/broken piston ring causing excessive blowby. I haven't read of one yet, but it is possible. A simple test of the pressure coming out of the oil breather box with a length of hose (with the motor hot, running, and revved over and over) will tell you if this is your problem. If you don't have anything coming out like you're sending smoke signals, this isn't your problem. It's overfilled logically.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I dont think ALL puling issues are caused by over filling , I know of more than one Car manufacturer that has had to Do recalls for this same problem ,Oil vapor separators have to be updated occasionally ,also some Oils are more Prone to vaporization than others

Blanket statements are easy and fun sometimes , but are full of it most of the time
:agree: You da man Ooink!

·
Registered
5,847 Posts

Yes, the Ford Lightning is like that, but Ford never recalled them to install separators. We owners had to install them ourselves. The Lightning, due to its supercharger, pukes oil no matter what oil level is maintained. After the puke goes through the blower, it settles on the fins of the inter-cooler, gradually plugging it up. There are numerous after-market oil separators available to prevent this from happening.

Part of the oil blow-by problem on the 9, I suspect, is due to its extremely large pistons, the largest mass-produced pistons made. They cause a large pressure differential to exist in the crankcase, which will result in oil being blown out the crankcase vent. Its only going to get worse as the miles accumulate, so a catch can is just a good idea.

Maybe those folks "From the land down under" have such a high atmospheric pressure, there bikes will never puke? Sure gets to their heads though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts