M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding my bike today for about 30 minutes, and stopped for about 15 minutes. I started the bike and rode again for about 20 minutes and stopped. When I tried to start it again about 3 minutes later the battery was dead and would not turn the bike over. I'm not sure what this could be. Things I have thought about, my bike is an 2006 and has the original battery, maybe the alternator just stop charging. I tried jumping my bike, and it did start, but when I disconnected the jumper cables the bike died. I'm not sure what to do here. Any help given would be greatly appreciated. Had to get my bike towed home, which was free thanks to roadside assistance from my insurance. Thanks again for any help given.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I'd say it's time for a new batt.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You're battery is completely dead. You need a battery. The reason the bike dies when the jumper cables are disconnected is the alternator must have some voltage to it in order to produce voltage.

·
Registered
142 Posts
first thing I would do is get a Volt meter and hook it up. Check the battery voltage. If it reads very low like 2 or 3 volts the battery is beyond salvaging regardless what ur charging system is like. Now get urself a new battery and install it. Hook ur volt meter back up and start it up. Read the volts. should be mid 13s. Start turning ur accessories on like high beam and hazards and raise the RPM up around 2k. voltage shouldnt fluctuate too much. If it does then u have a problem with ur charging system. It could be an alternator to voltage regulator to bad cables. Good luck.

***DISCLAIMER***
I have never had to check the charging system on my bike. Im basing this off of my auto mechanic and fork lift experience. If im wrong bout anything chime in.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There is NO alternator. This bike has a magneto. The battery is used to start the bike, then the magneto picks up the from there. The magneto WILL NOT CHARGE THE BATTERY.
thats why i put the disclaimer in. lol. its like the old GMs. they had self sustaining distributors. they had a magneto in so if the battery and alternator went ud still have spark. Guess works the same way. except im sure the bike doesnt have a distributor. wheres the magneto hooked up to?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
thats why i put the disclaimer in. lol. its like the old GMs. they had self sustaining distributors. they had a magneto in so if the battery and alternator went ud still have spark. Guess works the same way. except im sure the bike doesnt have a distributor. wheres the magneto hooked up to?
If there is not sufficient current, you won't even be able to get a spark, to start it. The strator, and rectifier are located in different places on the bike.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If there is not sufficient current, you won't even be able to get a spark, to start it. The strator, and rectifier are located in different places on the bike.
so what charges the battery? if the battery is used to start the bike and nevery charged then life span of it must be short. prolly should get a trickle charger for it then.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the reply's. I just ordered an odyssey battery and a smart charger. This will set me back a bit, but at least I'll be able to ride.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You answered your own question! :bigthumbsup:
Hold on hold on. Are you saying that the M109 doesn't charge it's own battery? I always thought that's was what the generator was for (or magneto in this case)??

I can't imagine riding around never knowing if your bike was going to start because the battery was draining every time your bike was running. I think there is a good amperage that comes out of that magneto if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, maybe I'm full of shart on this one.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hold on hold on. Are you saying that the M109 doesn't charge it's own battery? I always thought that's was what the generator was for (or magneto in this case)??

I can't imagine riding around never knowing if your bike was going to start because the battery was draining every time your bike was running. I think there is a good amperage that comes out of that magneto if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, maybe I'm full of shart on this one.
im really intrested too. im gonna run out and throw my meter on it. ill be back with the readings.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
im really intrested too. im gonna run out and throw my meter on it. ill be back with the readings.
Good let us know. I'm damn sure that if you start the bike you're volt meter will read around 13.5 to 14 versus the bike off it will be around 12 'ish. I dunno tho, let us know dude.

Nate

·
Registered
503 Posts
There is a charging system to the Battery. normal voltage on a good battery runs around 13vdc with the motor off. Start the motor and vdc should be around 14vdc.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good let us know. I'm damn sure that if you start the bike you're volt meter will read around 13.5 to 14 versus the bike off it will be around 12 'ish. I dunno tho, let us know dude.

Nate
ur right. 12.2v with engine off and acc. on. 13.9v with engine on. It has a charging system and it does charge the battery.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Generator

Motorcycle generators use permanent magnet stators (instead of coils to make magnetic current)and a seperate rectifier, so they aren't technically alternators, but they do charge the battery just the same. The voltage across the battery terminals should be 14 to 15.5 volts at 5000 rpm according to the serice manual.
A good battery will have about 12.5 volts across the terminals with the bike not running.
So your either have a bad battery or bad connections if it won't run.
The term magneto is used for generators that need no external battery to function, like my old dirt bikes.
It would help you to have a service manual or at least a digital multimeter, even the cheapest one will measure up to 20 volts and cost maybe $20.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Motorcycle generators use permanent magnet stators (instead of coils to make magnetic current)and a seperate rectifier, so they aren't technically alternators, but they do charge the battery just the same. The voltage across the battery terminals should be 14 to 15.5 volts at 5000 rpm according to the serice manual.
A good battery will have about 12.5 volts across the terminals with the bike not running.
So your either have a bad battery or bad connections if it won't run.
The term magneto is used for generators that need no external battery to function, like my old dirt bikes.
It would help you to have a service manual or at least a digital multimeter, even the cheapest one will measure up to 20 volts and cost maybe $20.
Great info, thanks for posting! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
http://www.electrosport.com/technic...cles/how-motorcycle-charging-system-works.php

More info than you should ever need. BTW where the rectifier is located does not change the fact that it is an alternator. Just because they call it a magneto doesn't mean much. They used to call generators dynamo's and still do in some parts of the world. The terminology is easy: rotor-stator-rectifier-regulator= alternator. The M109r most assuredly has a charging system. I can't believe that anyone would think that there was no charging system... :dontknow: that would not be fun to ride, and have to be home before dark. lol Also keep in mind that the biggest reason for premature battery failure is dirt. Dirt on a battery can and will cause a battery to drain. I always try to keep my batteries clean and it has paid off, the battery in my tractor is 16 yrs old and hasn't failed yet. Yeah I know its due, but its not like I use it everyday.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

No, that's not what I am saying. It will maintain the battery's charge. But, if your battery dies, and you jump it, you'll need to put your battery on a charger to get it back to it's "proper" charge. This is what you're supposed to do even with your car battery. If your battery is very low, you can't even bump start it. Been there, done that with V2Steve last year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts