M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The speedometer on my My Suzuki Volusia isn't accurate. It reads about 5 to 7mph faster than the bike is actually travelling. I have a GPS which confirms this. This seems to be a universal glitch shared by most. I'm dying to pick up an M109R every since I saw it last Saturday at the dealership. Maybe soon...
I'm curious, has anyone tested the speedometer to see if Suzuki carried this discrepancy over to the M109R?
Maybe someone with a GPS has compared their speedometer reading with the speed indicated on the GPS unit.
Canuk ::)

G

·
Canuk said:
The speedometer on my My Suzuki Volusia isn't accurate. It reads about 5 to 7mph faster than the bike is actually travelling. I have a GPS which confirms this. This seems to be a universal glitch shared by most. I'm dying to pick up an M109R every since I saw it last Saturday at the dealership. Maybe soon...
I'm curious, has anyone tested the speedometer to see if Suzuki carried this discrepancy over to the M109R?
Maybe someone with a GPS has compared their speedometer reading with the speed indicated on the GPS unit.
Canuk ::)
AT 127 on the Dyno the speedo reads 140, The next time I am on the Dyno I will get some reference's and post.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a GPS on mine and my speedometer on my 109 is 5 off up to 120. That's as fast as I've been but seems to be pretty steady at 5 fast all the way up. Every metric bike I've ever owned was about 5 fast. The shop forman at my dealership said that is pretty standard.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Stangely enough, I was thinking the same thing as I drove down the highway this morning. In my car, I can cruise at 70 to 80 and stay in traffic, a few cars passing me and myself passing a few cars. As I was in a comfort zone, maintaining speed with traffic I looked and my speedometer read 90.

I drive during the day to go to many different locations, and this speed seems a little high to me. Maybe I can get my future father-in-law, who is a traffic cop, to radar my bike as I drive. Set up some different speeds and see what his readings are.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've always heard that a GPS is not a very accurate way to measure speed. I guess I can understand that considering they are only accurate to a certain distance. I think radar would be the best way to determine this.

·
Registered
817 Posts
slickdj96 said:
I've always heard that a GPS is not a very accurate way to measure speed. I guess I can understand that considering they are only accurate to a certain distance. I think radar would be the best way to determine this.
GPS is extremely accurate in measuring speed, as long as the delta is not too high. They are generally accurate to a few meters if you have enough satellites, but the amount and direction it is "off" stays relatively constant as you travel, so that inaccuracy does not affect speed measurement.

A properly calibrated and well-placed modern radar system is pretty accurate as well, though no more so than GPS.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
gps is fine since the military removed the restrictions. only catch is that you have to stay at a constant speed on a relatively straight distance for a while. this is because the update frequency of the reciever, and has more to do with time than position errors (only updates every 1-3 secs or so).

·
Registered
817 Posts
wildwolf said:
Since somebody brought up GPS units on bikes, which units are you folks using?

wild-
Do a search, there is a pic of mine mounted on the M109R around here somewhere. (Garmin 2610)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wildwolf said:
Since somebody brought up GPS units on bikes, which units are you folks using?

wild-
I use a Garmin 2620 with the ram mount. One of the best and most useful toys I've ever bought. Works great on my cruiser and in my car.
Some of the newer garmin units have now dropped in price, since I got my 2620, and they have some new ineresting features as well. You'll love it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts