M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding motorcycles since 15 years old, motocross mostly. My first street bike was a Yamaha Fazer 700 that I bought in 2000. My 2nd bike was a V-Max which I bought in 2004. Third, I bought a M109R in 2008. With some notable exceptions when I rode with other VMaxers occasionally, I have always ridden alone.

Many of you here seem to have a lot of other 9 riders aroudn you that you get together with. I have never been able to get that going where I live. Not enough prospects, I guess.

Who here sometimes wonders why they have a bike because you always seem to be alone and it gets boring? I enjoy my bike, don't get me wrong. I ride to work every chance I get, do small shopping on the bike. With that said, it does get lonely. This is the ONE area I envy the HD riders. They are always together when they want to be.

Just curious who else thinks this way sometimes?:dontknow:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ride alone a lot. I had a Harley and still rode alone, also on my sportbike. On the 9 its still the same. But then again other than stopping for a bite or a beer, I like to see the sights and be on the ride.

Most of the reason I have always ridden alone was because people I have ridden with always wanted to go for 10 minutes and stop for an hour. I want to ride for 4 hours and stop for 20 minutes. To many parking lot posers and bar hoppers with 2500 miles on a 5 year old bike.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Be one with the Bike!

I ride alone most of the time. Sometimes the wife rides with me and that's cool.
I used to ride with my son in law, but he sold his bike and bought a 4 wheeler for the farm.
I've learned to enjoy the peace and quite of the lone ride. I don't have to stop every 2 minutes unless I want to.
Just enjoy your freedom from everyone.
If you want to ride with someone, check out the net and see if there are any sites that show rides that are scheduled in your area. It's easy enough to join in. You never know, you may find someone that lives next door and wants to ride too.

Good luck. Keep twistin the throttle.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I enjoy riding alone and with a group. Sometimes I just feel like hauling ass, so I head out of my neighborhood and hit the country roads and hit it hard. With a group you have ride at their pace and my riding group is standard cruisers so I can't go very fast, but I still enjoy riding and hanging out!

Riding with other 109's is cool and the pace is better. I recently rode with some other Georgia 109 riders and we had a great time cruising the country side at a good pace.

We have a mini Tail of the Dragon here in south Georgia, it's 3 curves in 300 yards but I still enjoy it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I understand what you are saying completely. It does get lonely by yourself, and you have ridden for so long that it must be mulitplied for you. I am blessed that I have a 9 friend nearby and my girl loves riding on the back as well.

Maybe you could start your own club out there, that would be cool.

Here are a couple clubs in Indiana: http://www.midwestmotorcyclist.com/IN mc clubs.html

·
Registered
918 Posts
I ride alone a lot, it might be that I'm an a$$hole or some thing like that, lol no really I prefer my wife on the back with me as the bike is are way to get out and enjoy our time together. but I can ride with some of my friends if I wanted but its so hard to make plans for everyone to get together. So many times for us its hey we have a few hours want to go for a ride, and most of that is through the week in the evenings.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I ride alone most of the time. Sometimes the wife rides with me and that's cool.
I used to ride with my son in law, but he sold his bike and bought a 4 wheeler for the farm.
I've learned to enjoy the peace and quite of the lone ride. I don't have to stop every 2 minutes unless I want to.
Just enjoy your freedom from everyone.
If you want to ride with someone, check out the net and see if there are any sites that show rides that are scheduled in your area. It's easy enough to join in. You never know, you may find someone that lives next door and wants to ride too.

Good luck. Keep twistin the throttle.
I ride two up all the time and i prefer to ride alone you can go where you want stop when you want and eat where you want and it is safer.:pop:we have a bike night every Tuesday and have a great time there showing off the 9 in the sea of Harley's

·
Registered
595 Posts
Find a riding club (RC) or motorcycle club (MC) in your area that fits your style. It's a great way to make new friends, find new destinations, and spend time on your bike. There are several clubs in my area that I ride with. Many are just bar hoppers like you said, but there are just as many groups who exist to ride bikes and not bar stools. Some internet searching would be very helpful here. I also just ride occasionally with friends outside of the club scene.

Riding with others is almost always more fun due to the camaraderie and shared experiences out on the road. It is also safer because you have help if there is an accident and it's more difficult for a cop to pull over a group of bikes than it is to tag a lone rider.

That said, I also enjoy riding solo sometimes....mostly because I come from a sport bike background and I like to ride VERY aggressively. I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to find someone to share the joys of high-speed cornering and triple digit speeds with me but so far no luck on this :-[

(if anybody reading this is from the Minnesota/Wisconsin/Iowa area then hit me up!!)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ride alone a lot. I had a Harley and still rode alone, also on my sportbike. On the 9 its still the same. But then again other than stopping for a bite or a beer, I like to see the sights and be on the ride.

Most of the reason I have always ridden alone was because people I have ridden with always wanted to go for 10 minutes and stop for an hour. I want to ride for 4 hours and stop for 20 minutes. To many parking lot posers and bar hoppers with 2500 miles on a 5 year old bike.
:agree:
I like to be rolling.

·
Registered
263 Posts
one thing that may help you. ( it helped me) get a Ipod or mp3 player. Loaded with a :edit: load of your favorate tunes and rock out. I find having some kick:edit: tunes while riding twisties makes me push the bike harder then without.

·
Registered
940 Posts
It does not bother me to ride alone but I do prefer to ride with my friends.

No high speed cornering because they are older than me. 58 - Valkyrie / 59 - Goldwing / and get this 74 - Royal Star Venture, no peg scraping going on here just cruising highways and back roads.

Riding is great alone or in a group. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I do enjoy riding alone sometimes. Like others have said, if you want to get into it a little, you can w/o worrying about the rider behind you.
I also have been fortunate to ride with friends who ride as hard as I do at times. And I've met other good people through my riding buddies. We just rode 12 deep to Ocean City MD. I met 5 new people on that ride.

In addition, this site has exposed me to some good and positive riders. Just lucky I guess.

Good luck with your search.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
310 Posts

:agree:
sometimes i ride for 6-8 hours, I feel like my mind is truely mine when I am 200 miles away from home with no companion except a road i have never seen and my bike...you can really get some thinking done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like you I find myself riding alone most of the time. I have two bikes and not very much free time to ride. Most of my friends either dont ride or ride way to hard for my comfort. I set up a full dresser thinking it would be a great way for the wife and I to spend time together, well the bike is an 05 with only 1800 miles on it... she just does'nt enjoy riding, thats why I bought the 109 and have a solo seat. If you feel like taking a short trip north I would love to put some miles on before the end of the season

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Most of the time, I ride alone. This is definitely by choice. Even when I'm riding with a regular group, I'm generally alone. I ride in order to be alone.
Many of my friends got Chatterboxes so that they could talk while riding. I refuse to get one because I don't want to talk to people when I'm riding. There is time for talking when I'm stopped. I want to be totally immersed in the experience of aloneness and oneness with the bike.

So, yeah...I usually find that I ride alone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
riding

hey nmclay, i live about 2 1/2 hours away, but if you wanna ever get together and ride for a bit, we could meet half way and cruize for awhile.
im partial both way, i love riding by my self, but also like riding with others. its nice to ride with guys that ride the same as you. i rode with my dad and a friend of his, going thru southern indiana, i knew it would be a slow ride so i took my daughter, well as we were following, my daughter says, "cant we just pass them" and that was all it took!!!:hot:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ride alone 99% of the time. With a busy schedule, I don't have to plan on anyone else's schedule, and if I have a free evening or a few hours on the weekend, I throw in the earbuds and hit the road.

I have gone on one poker run, and a couple of daytrips with my brother, but I have no problem cruising solo - whether it's for a few minutes or for hours on end.8)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I look forward to group rides, big or small. But, more often than not, I look forward to the open road, my bike, and my thoughts.

Guess it just depends on my mood. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Most of the time, I'm riding alone. I'm always looking for a group to ride with though. My problem is I'm 90min North of Phx and the HD riders here in town are mostly d-bags or strait-up hardcore. It's always a good time on the 9 though! I guess I'm used to it.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
I get bored riding alone pretty quick. I enjoy the ride, but you miss having someone to talk to when you take a break, or share some amazing sight with. I ride alone once in a while, mostly to work and short rides in the evening, but my wife rides with me on her bike most of the time.

Plus having another bike with you is good if something breaks. I don't really care for large groups, 4 or 5 bikes together is a nice group for me.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts