M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Got my bike Dyno'd for free at my dealer due to it getting only about 25-30 mpg. I am looking for some opinions ( I know the old saying), but I promise not to hold them against you or use them to start any :edit: (my :joke: lawyer really stinks so if he forgets anything let it be implied in the next) or anything. I am mainly interested in the air fuel ratio but also if all is within specs. All comments are :welcome:

I have 800 miles on my bike and before I had it serviced I got exactly 100 miles on 4 gallons of 93 octane in around town riding, the bike seems to be running good. I have noticed some semi popping noise (not a backfire) on decel coming from the exhaust. I have not checked fuel economy since sevice at 600 miles(doing so now). Dyno sheet is below(I hope).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your graph did not attach. I'd help you, but I don't know much about them either...I can tell you, if you're only getting 25-30 mpg, something ain't right. Or, if you're running that hard, your rear tire shouldn't be lasting but about 500 miles.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Are your pipes stock? If so, where did they put the A/F sensor? Did they drill a hole in front of the cat converter? My understanding is that you won't get accurate a/f readings after the catalytic converter, so that's gonna have a play in whether or not your readings are accurate. Your numbers look a bit weak too as far as power... especially since your in STD and not SAE. I think many stock bikes here are getting at least 106 rwhp in SAE... of course every bike is different, and it could be the altitude you're at or the humidity in the air.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Medic1210 said:
Are your pipes stock? If so, where did they put the A/F sensor? Did they drill a hole in front of the cat converter? My understanding is that you won't get accurate a/f readings after the catalytic converter, so that's gonna have a play in whether or not your readings are accurate. Your numbers look a bit weak too as far as power... especially since your in STD and not SAE. I think many stock bikes here are getting at least 106 rwhp in SAE... of course every bike is different, and it could be the altitude you're at or the humidity in the air.
All is stock, I think they shoved a long wire up the pipe(sounds kinda rude), don't know if they got past the cat. They also told me they could not re-program the computer(I thought that was kinda strange). Is it true that they should be able to re-flash? Also I am at sea level, humidity is listed at the bottom.

Bill

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
BadBill19 said:
All is stock, I think they shoved a long wire up the pipe(sounds kinda rude), don't know if they got past the cat. They also told me they could not re-program the computer(I thought that was kinda strange). Is it true that they should be able to re-flash? Also I am at sea level, humidity is listed at the bottom.

Bill
If they shoved a wire up the pipes from the back, then they didn't get past the catalytic converter. Did they drill anything at all? If not, then they probably didn't even get past the first baffle wall. I don't see how your a/f ratios are correct given how they sampled them. As for re-flashing the ECM... they may not have the capabilities to do it at their shop. It can be done though.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
25 mpg just means you know how to ride the thing...like you stole it :p.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Maybe I missed something :dontknow: I don't think I ever owned a bike that got more than 100 miles to a tank.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
JMAC said:
Maybe I missed something :dontknow: I don't think I ever owned a bike that got more than 100 miles to a tank.
Well you currently own one that's capable of just over 200 miles per tank if you aren't constantly drag racing it. I consistently get 40-41MPG when I commute back and forth to work. Even when I'm heavy on the giggle grip I'll get 33-34 MPG.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The correction factor (STD) that they are using inflates the hp up a few over the SAE corrected that is the standard that most recognize.

Everything else looks about stock...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Well you currently own one that's capable of just over 200 miles per tank if you aren't constantly drag racing it. I consistently get 40-41MPG when I commute back and forth to work. Even when I'm heavy on the giggle grip I'll get 33-34 MPG.
or I modify them and actually don't care about MPG.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
HP and Tq numbers look a little low, but with temp, humidity, and dyno calibration factors who knows....
A/F looks off as well, but I am with Medic... With stock pipes they wouldn't be able to get the probe in far enough to get a good reading.

On the gas mileage note... before I did any mods I was running about 40 to 45mpg if I was just cruising around the mountains @ around 50 to 60. It would dip as low as 35ish if I were hard on the "Giggle Grip" ( I like that one Medic...  :D ).

Now after all my mods and tuning I am running around 37Mpg if I baby it, and around 30 or so if I am riding like I stole it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
dynoed mine at 800 miles and it showed 105 horses and 98 lbs. of torue, dynoed later and both #'s moved up after some more miles.

but my bike never reached numbers, others on here seamed to make. last dyno was 110 horses and 105 of torque

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Are your pipes stock? If so, where did they put the A/F sensor? Did they drill a hole in front of the cat converter? My understanding is that you won't get accurate a/f readings after the catalytic converter, so that's gonna have a play in whether or not your readings are accurate. Your numbers look a bit weak too as far as power... especially since your in STD and not SAE. I think many stock bikes here are getting at least 106 rwhp in SAE... of course every bike is different, and it could be the altitude you're at or the humidity in the air.
I don't think that is true, in states or counties across the U.S. they emmissions test on a dyno or rolling road with the the a/f probe in the pipe behind the cat and they always catch you if your cheating...in a car anyway. :D

·
Registered
514 Posts
J R said:
Your NOT gonna get accurate readings checking a/f behind a cat period.People do it but there stupid typical dealer ship flunkys
JR is 100% correct on this ....it is a FACT that you need to bet the sniffer pilot tube up the exhaust as far as you can. Lots of crusiers must have a hole drilled in the plate, baffle, or cat system. At Olathe we had a 12" drill bit as some bikes put the little suckers a ways up the pipe.

So far as weather, temperature, etc. most dyno software has a weather station of some sort and the reading are factored into the hp "guess". On a DJ, you want SAE correction and the factor to be as close to 1.00 as you can get (if you want to compare runs).

Nice an cold here in ID today, good news is that I get to go to Vegas for a new Dyno Jet tuning update class for 3 days.. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
You're not even broke in yet right? Let me ask the group as a whole. Does the way you break in an engine have an effect on the way it will dyno? If one redlines the thing at 500 miles, does that do damage or at least affect the future performance of the bike? Delivery of my 109 is next week, just curious. I've heard if it is broke in wrong, gas mileage and performance could suffer. Also, one of the guys at the shop was talking about heat cycles and the mating of parts using this theory. The owner's manual does mention "mating" but I have never heard of this. I was told to expect 35-39 mpg and hp ratings as high as 125, considerably more than what I am seeing posted here. Please clarify, thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
mine dynoed 107/98 stock in a 101 degree dyno room FWIW

the tuner there told me he had just tuned a m109 with cobras and a power commander and it made 108/101

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've never had a bike that couldn't pull at least 40 MPG and that includes a 1380 1984 H-D FLH and a 900R Ninja couldn't be more different. Had thirteen others that also got at least 40. I suppose you could get down to 10 if you keep the gas on hard enough.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Well you currently own one that's capable of just over 200 miles per tank if you aren't constantly drag racing it. I consistently get 40-41MPG when I commute back and forth to work. Even when I'm heavy on the giggle grip I'll get 33-34 MPG.
Same here!

Giggle Grip...I love it!

·
Registered
206 Posts
HI Fella`s. I get an average of 275 kilometres before the Orange flashing Low Fuel light comes on (drives me crazy , so I re-fuel) 160 kilometres = 100 miles !!! Okay, okay , yep I ride her HARD !!!
Cheer`s, BIG JIM from "Down-Under" :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts