M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 07 for a few weeks now.......love the bike.......just wondering is it me or is this a friggin beast making sharp slow turns,,,,did a ride last Sunday with forty other bikes, got into the back country and I see an uphill sharp sharp right coming, going slow and leaning leaning leaning still ain't quite gonna make it, almost ended up on the sidewalk......lol......little embarrasing.......lol

·
Registered
411 Posts
scaramooch said:
Have an 07 for a few weeks now.......love the bike.......just wondering is it me or is this a friggin beast making sharp slow turns,,,,did a ride last Sunday with forty other bikes, got into the back country and I see an uphill sharp sharp right coming, going slow and leaning leaning leaning still ain't quite gonna make it, almost ended up on the sidewalk......lol......little embarrasing.......lol
No its not you.I have rode Intruders for the last 10 years and this year when I got the M109 and made the first test ride around a "sharp corner" I thought WTF??????? It is as different as steering a small car and a tractor trailer :eek: Since having it (April 29th) I have gotten somewhat better at taking the corners but my buddies (GSRX1000 Hyabusa etc etc) still give me a hard time but hey if I would have wanted an extreme twisty bike I wouldn´t have bought the 1800 ;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have found that riding this bike is a little different. I actually sort of throw the bike into a slow turn first, then sort of lean with it after it is on the correct path. It seems to work on the really slow turns. It's unnerving at first but then you will get used to the feeling and trust it more. I had the same issue when I first bought this bike. Just put some miles on it and try that. It worked for me. You are fighting a 240 as opposed to a more narrow tire that will not fight you as much.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have had mine since mid May, and I am just now starting to scrap my boot in sharp slow turns. I have not found the curb feeler yet! :eek:

·
Registered
443 Posts
It's just different. I have a 1400 Intruder that I could hustle through the corners (not like a sport bike), but after a little getting acquainted with the 109, there is no comparison. The 109 kills the 1400, even in the real tight stuff. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
As I have said before, this is my first bike, so it is all new to me, which in some ways works in my favor! No old, bad habits to break. I found the scraper peg with the wife on the back going through some pretty twisty backroads.
Gave us both some heart palpitations, but was way cool. I, too found myself on the edge of the road coming to the end of curbs......trial and hopefully not too much error.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I was making peg scraping turns at <5 mph the first day I had mine.. Very easy for me to turn at low speeds. Just drag the rear brake a small bit and stay in the friction zone on the clutch. This bike handles very well at both low and high speeds IMO

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I got an 02 VTX 1800c and I went through 3 set of pegs before I put the progressive suspention on (fork springs and shocks) this raised the bike up enough to where I did'nt want to go any faster around corners with a 750 lb motor cycle.
I still drag pegs just not quite so often> :D :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys....I don't feel so embarassed........anyway once again.....WHAT A MACHINE, just got the 600 mile checkup and she's riding smoother every time I ride....nailing those first three gears is so awesome....I always said if I get another bike it would be a big fat touring bike that I couldn't get into trouble with.....well....oops think I'm in trouble again LOL

·
Registered
247 Posts
a little trick i have learned sounds Little crazy but while leaning in a turn if you put pressure in the opposite direction on the handle bars she will lay right over.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
109guy said:
a little trick i have learned sounds Little crazy but while leaning in a turn if you put pressure in the opposite direction on the handle bars she will lay right over.
Yeah thats called "countersteering" ;)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
What slowpoke387 said. You have to put a lot of influence on the bike early to get it moving over. If not you'll be slow into your line. Once in that position with this bike it can get interesting some times. I got embarrased a few times right after I got my 9. Now I just toss it around into corners. You'll get there too soon!

G

·
Well I hit just about everything on this bike in the turns, peg feelers are long gone, slashdowns are shaved down at the tips and all the way back to the base of the wheel and I've gone through 5 pairs of boots in the last month. What I found out is that if you take your feet and put them on the back pegs, then put your body into the turn and keep the bike as upright as possible you can make in most cases keep the bike some what off the ground.

Now for scrapping on slow turns, I still move my feet to the back pegs so I don't mess up my shoes and also so I don't apply resistance to the pegs, it seems to help when you hit small gravel and unexpected road hazards on the turn. It took me about 4hr's in a parking lot to get good at this new turn but ever since I've been able to hang with the old sports bike riders.

If your pipes ever catch hard your back end may slid out from under you (or at least I think thats what happened to me.) if this happens just hold on it will be the best ride of your life this bike turns into a sports bike in a hurry :evil:

Also if your worried about dragging hit the parking lot (a big one) and through this monster down as far as you can (if you hard counter balance you can get right on the edge of the tire), this will shave everything down really quickly so you don't drag on terrain your not used to. :evil:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
firecat said:
Well I hit just about everything on this bike in the turns, peg feelers are long gone, slashdowns are shaved down at the tips and all the way back to the base of the wheel and I've gone through 5 pairs of boots in the last month. What I found out is that if you take your feet and put them on the back pegs, then put your body into the turn and keep the bike as upright as possible you can make in most cases keep the bike some what off the ground.

Now for scrapping on slow turns, I still move my feet to the back pegs so I don't mess up my shoes and also so I don't apply resistance to the pegs, it seems to help when you hit small gravel and unexpected road hazards on the turn. It took me about 4hr's in a parking lot to get good at this new turn but ever since I've been able to hang with the old sports bike riders.

If your pipes ever catch hard your back end may slid out from under you (or at least I think thats what happened to me.) if this happens just hold on it will be the best ride of your life this bike turns into a sports bike in a hurry
I caught something on the underside hard on the Dragon a couple of weeks ago. Kicked me around sideways and my foot got caught under the bike. Was chasing 3 sportbikes. I just kept at it and when we got to the Gap Store, I was still right behind 2 of the 3. Surprised them big time.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I just had to become comfortable leaning the bike over far enough to feel like it's falling over then giving it enough throttle to stand it back up again. Took awhile to get it right. Before I had it mastered I would just stab a foot onto the pavement and keep on going :doorag:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well,, I did the old fashioned opposite pushing on handlebar in the corner,,i.e. hard and the bike just leans along and follows and I tested a 35mph sharp turn and I increased speed to 50 mph through and it kinda pushed towards the middle of the curb, but I pushed back on my left handle and it just "grabbed" the turn wonderful....

·
Registered
665 Posts
Look at the pic in my avatar,the left hand is pushing,and the right hand is pulling,going into the left hand turn. It works. Drive down the road,and have a object(styrofoam cup in it. Aim right at it,and in the last few seconds,give the left(or right) handlebar a sharp push. The bike should jump left,or right depending which way you push. This comes in handy for avoiding objects in the highway at speed(you can't throw the bike around at high speed) to avoid hitting objects in the road. This will also save your butt,when you come into a curve a little too hot,and are going drifting too wide. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It is really good to know that I was not the only rider who didn't know this trick. I read it in the WA State Dept of Licensing manual. Going into left turn, push left bar!!!!!!I said
. It just did NOT compute until I tried it...now it is how I steer the corners all the time. VERY COOL

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All right now thoroughly confused......If I'm making a hard left, I should be pushing the left side of the bar ??? Soounds suicidal....Would think it would be the right bar pushing it more into the left turn ??? AGH!!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts