M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9'ers,

I went out for a short ride last night here in the Greater Cleveland area, Twinsburg, Oh area to be exact. But What I have noticed lately is that when ever I come across another rider who happens to be on an HD and when I pass going the opposite direction I give the customary bike wave I get not response what so ever. :dontknow:

I know that the 9 is a mighty impressive piece of machinary, but where is the love!? ??? I guess everyone that owns a HD must have gotten the message from the HDHQ not to even acknowledge anyone on anything less than an HD. WTF!!! :swear:

The truth is that I really don't give a :edit: but it would be nice to get back to what riding is all about...it's not what you ride as long as you ride...right? Everyone have a great and safe weekend and remember...ALWAYS ENJOY THE RIDE!!! :bigthumbsup:

:pop:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
9'ers,

I went out for a short ride last night.....
Since you were riding at night, he probably couldn't even tell you were on a metric bike instead of a Harley.....some folks just don't wave :dontknow:. Heck, more than half of the people in my subdivision don't wave back to me when we pass in our cars/trucks. :dontknow:

Just keep being friendly, bro and don't worry about it! :bigthumbsup::doorag:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Same here

The same thing happens here in the UK,out on the road guys on HDs never wave back,was down in the south of France week before last and was the same,so guess you may be right HDHQ must have sent a memo lol:agree:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I guess if your bike doesn't look exactly the same as every other bike on the road, they don't wave. I'm still trying to figure out how HD guys find their bikes once they park them at Sturgis. They all look the same. :dontknow:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Most ppl I wave at wave back, but I have noticed the ones that don't are your typical hardcore Harley rider.

When I'm on my Sabre, almost always get waves b/c well, from the front it looks like a Harley, lol!

·
Registered
99 Posts
When I first started riding back in the early 80's, all I got from HD riders when I waved was the middle finger - if they even responded.

Can't say it's like that for me in Florida now. Most will waive if they see me wave, and a lot of times it's the HD rider initiating a wave.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Its you! JK

Its definitely where you live. Here, everyone waves unless they are in the middle of a turn changing gears. I get waves back from Harley and sport bike riders! People are just friendlier I guess

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I ride with a MCRC in the area and there definately are hard core HD peeps in the group although they are in the minority. The mentality of the group (yes, even the HD peeps) is we don't care what you ride as long as it has 2-3 wheels.

Some in the group wave & others don't. Just their preference. That's the same with people I meet. Some do & some don't. More do than don't here.

One of the funniest things that happened was one day before the ride started. There were around 60 bikes gathered for this one. Everything from HD full dressers to crotch rockets. A guy and his fender jewelry came slowly riding by the parking lot. The fender jewelry procalmes rather loudly "There's no Harleys over there". The HD guys just laughed as a few yelled back some amusing comments.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Its you! JK

Its definitely where you live. Here, everyone waves unless they are in the middle of a turn changing gears. I get waves back from Harley and sport bike riders! People are just friendlier I guess
Yea, I noticed most Ohesians aren't that nice to begin with so it doesn't surprise me if they don't wave!

JK, gruntleader.

This topic comes up every other month about a HD-er's that don't wave. In the end, every brand will have riders that don't follow customs of waving. I'm sure there are plenty of people here that don't wave, and couldn't care about it because they are too busy enjoying their ride.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Here we have the owner/dealer who own the whole stretch of road of showrooms starting with H/D, Ferrari,Benz,other brands of expensive cars and at the end of the road, Super Bikes of all brands, Goldwings and my 9 was bought there. As I have to past by the H/D showroom on my way out one fine day, there were aout 5 H/D turning out onto the road I was on. As there were a few of them, I slowed down to let them pass and at the same time gave them a nod. Guess what? No respond what so ever. I felt so stupid after having given them the right to pass which I don't need to if I wished.:redfaced:
So after that incidence, :edit: the Harleys here.:evil:

·
Registered
300 Posts
wavers

I live in central ID and hwy 93 runs from way down south to Canadian border and is well traveled by motorcyclists during summer.I like to do short rides along Salmon river after work and I encounter a lot of riders and most are friendly and wave,if not I could care less as I don't need other riders to acknowledge me to enjoy my ride :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
This is about the third time I have responded to a similar post and it always prompts me to respond.
Yea...we get a lot of that from the HD riders but not all of them. I have noticed that most of us on 109's wear full (type) helments which is not representative of their group. When they see a full facer there is a 99% chance its a metric or of foreign production. However, when they see a halfy chances are, due to the abundant numbers of HD's on the road today, there is at least a 75% chance it's an HD owner. I almost always get a wave back from everyone when I sport my halfy. But, I mostly wear my Aria full face.
There is a strong sence of American loyalty that exudes thru the HD community. I believe it's there largely due to the fact that they need a viable reason to invest that kind of money into a motorcycle. It eases their concious to know that their bike is worth the American investment.
I say this in part due to the large amount of non-American products that each and every one of them purchase on a daily basis including light bulbs. So, it's almost hippicritical for them not to wave back.
BTW, no biker in his right mind will wave back while navigating tricky turns or needs to be at full alert in heavy traffic. Please try to refrain from distracting other fellow bikers by waving in these conditions. I'm sure you understand. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, I noticed most Ohesians aren't that nice to begin with so it doesn't surprise me if they don't wave!

JK, gruntleader.

This topic comes up every other month about a HD-er's that don't wave. In the end, every brand will have riders that don't follow customs of waving. I'm sure there are plenty of people here that don't wave, and couldn't care about it because they are too busy enjoying their ride.
It's all good!!! ^-^ Go Buckeyes!!! :clap2:

·
Registered
324 Posts

JK, gruntleader.

Real nice Nick....... :D Just because Big Blue can't figure out the Buckeyes and Tressel, doesn't mean you get to bash the Ohio riders.... :duck:

Actually there are very few riders that don't wave around NW Ohio, even the scooters like to feel the love.... :dontknow: I typically wave to all riders, it doesn't upset me if they have their thumbs up their arses and can't pull it out quick enough to wave....

G

·
9'ers,

I went out for a short ride last night here in the Greater Cleveland area, Twinsburg, Oh area to be exact. But What I have noticed lately is that when ever I come across another rider who happens to be on an HD and when I pass going the opposite direction I give the customary bike wave I get not response what so ever. :dontknow:

:pop:
You're just noticing this now? To the typical HD "lifestyler", every other bike on the road is a lesser machine, and those aboard, lesser people. Hence the cold shoulder in repsonse to your biker salute.

Years ago, Honda had an ad campaign that read: "You meet the nicest people on a Honda"...well, I've met the most sanctimonious, and irretrievably arrogant a$$holes on a Harley. Does it apply to each and every HD rider, no...but certainly to the majority. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
285 Posts
The ones that don't wave to me are HD riders. But I look at their face, its always open face, and they dont look happy. They are scowling and look tortured. I chalk it up to a sloppy uncomfortable ride and slow throttle response. They still make me nervous though when I am riding behind them. I have ZERO experience in riding through fresh hot oil slicks.

Don't change, dont stop waving, thats what makes you-you. And we love you for it.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
if the HD riders let go of the bars to wave...they'll shake right off the bike
I don't think so....also owning a HD I can set the cruise control and could play a game it's so smooth....

Both my wife and I wave at pretty much anybody on two wheels. More often than not it's the guys (most gal's wave back to me) on metrics that don't wave back to me...doesn't matter if I'm on my 9 or my Streetglide... but I can say if I am on my HD the majority of HD riders will wave back and will be hit or miss from the metrics....if I am on my 9 it's hit or miss if I will get a wave back from either...

One other thing to maybe think about....maybe it's not that HD riders in general that don't wave back but it seems like it as there is a bunch more of them out there riding that it seems like you are getting snubbed by riders on HD's.....Go ride in an area where the greater number of riders are on metics and I would venture a guess that you will not be waved back by a greater number of metrics...

Just continue to wave if you enjoy waving....I still do like I said to pretty much everything on two wheels....

G

·
The ones that don't wave to me are HD riders. But I look at their face, its always open face, and they dont look happy. They are scowling and look tortured.
I think HD patented that facial expression, along with everything else. Consult your local HOG chapter for free "Scowl and Grimmace" classes. 3rd Thursday of every month at the 'Tude Shack at 9pm.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts