M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wanting to see if I could actually ride 1,000 miles in less than 24hrs, and be able to write about it. So I mentioned the thought to one of my local riding buddies who rides a BMW1200 earlier this year and we started figuring out what, where, how, when for an Iron Butt, SS1000 of our own.

After much planning this past Saturday the 28th we met at a local gas station near Seattle around 5am with our IBA witness papers signed, trip log in hand, layerings of clothes in the saddle bags, tons of peanuts, beef jerky and water and off we set east towards Boise, Idaho.

55 miles out we encountered the summit of our first mountain pass where the temp sign read a whopping 39 degrees! The sun awoke some 50 miles further down the road and stayed visible for maybe an hour or two before hiding behind clouds the better part of this 'summer' day.

More passes to follow and temps varied from 39 to 70, the highest being around Boise where the winds jumped into the 40mph range. It was great heading east with the wind, not so heading west, but my C109RT cut through it no problem, only suffering in the mpg's slightly(from a high of 44mpg to a low of 34mpg).

We passed through a portion of Oregon both ways each time dark clouds, cold temps and light to heavy drizzle awaited. Although it saved us from sun burn, dehydration and sweating, it really didn't add to our comfortable level. Road construction slowed my times a tad and being we picked an over and back route on the same highways it doubled the frustration, but at least was predictable the second time through.

All in all I rode 1,050 miles in 17hrs and 57mins, with 10 min gas stops and a 1hr lunch at the turn around point. Rode a sustained 70-75mph and was slightly tired when I got home just before midnight, but really not much more than any other day when I stay up to midnight.
It was a good trip, all went well and when I get asked by my non-riding buddies about the trip I just tell them...."I rode to Boise to get an Ice Cream cone." :bigthumbsup:

I'm already planning the next Iron Butt, a 1,500 miles in 36hr trip for next year!!!!!!! Wonder if they have good cones somewhere in the southwest?????;)

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
LOL

Now dats A RIDE GMAN !!! Glad it was a safe one

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Awesome! I have no idea if I can handle that kind of riding on my 9, but great to hear all went well!

Kinda like yesterday where me and some 9 buddies rode to Niagara Falls just to get a hamburger or philly sandwich, then we rode back. Some people traveled 400kms or more just for lunch!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! I have no idea if I can handle that kind of riding on my 9, but great to hear all went well!

Kinda like yesterday where me and some 9 buddies rode to Niagara Falls just to get a hamburger or philly sandwich, then we rode back. Some people traveled 400kms or more just for lunch!
Once a month 3-6 of us would ride 80 miles to meet several other guys have a 2 hour dinner and ride back. That may not seem like a great distance, but it was up and over a 3,300' mountain pass then back in the dark!!!!!

A bikers gotta do what a bikers gotta do!!!!!:D

·
Registered
643 Posts
:congrats:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
AWESOME !!:congrats: Look forward to riding in those temps again! It has been a hot summer. Oh wait a minute I live in FL. :doh: :joke:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Congrats Gary and welcome to the club!

I did the IBA 1000 last summer and came home, slept for 4 hrs and went out to ride another 300 miles the next day!

Wasn't sore at all!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm already planning the next Iron Butt, a 1,500 miles in 36hr trip for next year!!!!!!! Wonder if they have good cones somewhere in the southwest?????;)
C'mon north and we'll tackle that one next year!

·
Registered
195 Posts
:congrats: I did 700miles on mine by myself from Cincinnatio, OH to Havelock, NC. I was alone so only took a smoke break between fill ups. It is so easy to change positions on my "Mistress" so i am sure that 1000 was a breeze. Keep riding and hope to give you a wave someday when i am pushing this monster to her limits. Ride on!!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats Gary and welcome to the club!

I did the IBA 1000 last summer and came home, slept for 4 hrs and went out to ride another 300 miles the next day!

Wasn't sore at all!
Thanks!
I had a blast and am planning the 1500 mile sin 36hrs for next spring and maybe the Canada to Mexico as well or at the same time. Working on the logistics now! Way too much fun!

·
Registered
310 Posts
:congrats: that's awesome man! I am thinking about trying an ironbutt ride next summer from michigan to new york city. I hope I have the same success you had.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Man you guys are animals. (In a good way)

The roads down under in our small country dont really lend themselves to that sort of distance riding. Not wide open like yours are up there. OK officially "up here" as I am writing this in Glendale, CA at the moment.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:congrats: that's awesome man! I am thinking about trying an ironbutt ride next summer from michigan to new york city. I hope I have the same success you had.
Just plan all aspects as best you can, leave alternate dates in case weather goes south and go to the IBA Forum for helpful tips. By all means don't be in a hurry while you ride. We set cruise at 70-75mph in a 70mph speed limit zone and just cruised. Make your stops short and to the point. Take a one hours lunch at mid point and enjoy. Looking at the 1,500 in 36hrs for next spring. Planning has already started, just because it's so much fun!!!!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ride when I can !!!

I live in Florida near Daytona. No mountains, but, plenty of straightaways. Fun on an M or a C:bigthumbsup:
Once a month 3-6 of us would ride 80 miles to meet several other guys have a 2 hour dinner and ride back. That may not seem like a great distance, but it was up and over a 3,300' mountain pass then back in the dark!!!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts

every sunday I jump on my bike and ride to tampa to church then lunch somewhere and back home (roughly 75 to 80 miles from the house just Norht of Crystal River, FL to Tampa.) the rides are great. Not too many C or M owners where I'm from, or at least I haven't seen many

1 - 20 of 32 Posts