M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you are members of the Iron Butt Association? My wife and I just done the entry level ride two weeks ago. This ride is called the saddlesore its 1000 miles in under 24 hours. We did 1034 documented miles in 18.5 hours. They have a lot of different rides. Next year we doing the next ride its 1500 miles in under 36 hours but were going to do it in under 24 so it will be the bunburner gold. Check out there site IBA. We have had a good summer riding we got in 13,000 miles so far. We love the 109 an love the ride.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
:congrats: I have always wanted to do one of those rides. V10killer has done many of them.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Are you kidding? I rode an 8 hours to Biketoberfest and back and my butt was killing me. Definitely a two Advil ride.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Some members in my ride club are doing this soon. Honestly it just doesn't interest me at all. I can understand why some do it for the challange but this whole concept is the complete opposite of why I ride. Logging mind numbing miles on mostly interstate for no reason other than to chew up miles is not for me. I think its more for the adventure rider/touring rider crowd.

Good luck on doing it however! :bigthumbsup: And congrats on having a wife willing to go so far on a bike as well. :doorag:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
. ......Logging mind numbing miles on mostly interstate for no reason other than to chew up miles is not for me.....
:agree: Heck, we did 800+ curvy, MOUNTAIN miles in 2 days last month. I'd much rather do that than 1000 miles of interstate.....you know what I think about the 109 on the interstate..LOL :D

Now the interstate and my GSXR....that's another topic! :cop::bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
Some members in my ride club are doing this soon. Honestly it just doesn't interest me at all. I can understand why some do it for the challange but this whole concept is the complete opposite of why I ride. Logging mind numbing miles on mostly interstate for no reason other than to chew up miles is not for me. I think its more for the adventure rider/touring rider crowd.

Good luck on doing it however! :bigthumbsup: And congrats on having a wife willing to go so far on a bike as well. :doorag:
Who said it all had to be interstate riding. :evil:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was trying to get together a boarder to boarder for this past August. Hard to get committed interest. I did a 1500 in 36 hours, but it was last minute, so no docs or credit.:dontknow: I will say this, that was before the custom saddle & risers, and I paid dearly. As much to say I did it as anything.

I figure boarder to boarder would be nice, because we could push hard on the way down, take pictures and buy something in TJ, then come back far enough for the 1500. Knocks out three or four awards in one ride, and then a leisurely trip back up along the coast. One thing is for sure, unless your bike fits PERFECTLY don't do something crazy on a stock saddle. (And get a throttle lock, or make one!):clap2:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
With me, it ain't so much the A$$ pain, as it is tendonitis in both wrists, I'd need cruise control for the long rides. Throttle hand gets numb after about 30 minutes.

Too many years having my wrists at crazy angles driving an 18-wheeler.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've done 3 rides of over 1000 miles in under 24 hours that I didn't document. I have documented with the IBA 6 SaddleSore 1000's and the 50CC, coast to coast in under 50 hours. My last documented 1000 was this past May on my 07LE. It's the type of riding that appeals to a relatively small percentage of riders. I certainly understand the comments by those that don't go for that type of riding. Nearly all of my friends that I ride with locally feel exactly that way. The attraction for me is the ride from night into day and into night again. Late nights when you have the Interstate mostly all to yourself and you just cruise is something I enjoy. The solitude is a big plus, no phone calls, no one asking you to do anything, being alone with your thoughts. To me, the 19 or so hours is just like a vacation from the day to day routine. I've had my 9 for 2 1/2 years and have 40,000 miles on it. I consistently get 44mpg at Interstate speeds and stop for gas between 175 - 190 miles. Ride on...........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts