M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Peeps,

There has to be a way to measure the oil level when the bike is COLD. Everyone chime in with ideas.

I'm wondering if a modified dip stick would work. Only to be used to check the oil when the bike is cold rather than using this 20 minute procedure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hey, just a put in, take out, when it's cold.....but will it show all the oil?....I thought there is more than 1 area for oil.....that's why you have to check it HOT.....just wondering?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
well of coarse theres a semi dry sump that's the proble......It's not that difficult , when you get done riding shut it off and waint three minutes ,then check the oil level.The next time you go to start it , if theres no puddle under it you good. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
Hey, great answer!! ROFL! :clap2:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess the ride it, check it method is better than nothing.
Maybe I'm just paranoid about the oil...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is this semi-dry sump something new to Suzuki dealers? My Quadsport z400's are semi-dry sump and the first time I removed the oil cap to check after it had been sitting for 3 minutes the oil just kept running out. It was THAT overfull. Do they just not read the service manual?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
What exactly does the heat up then wait do? Is the oil Expanding?? No way right?
Can someone please explain? I mean if the bike has the right amount of oil and you stuck something all the way in each time (cold) wouldnt it always read the same?
What I dont get is that when it is hot it is IN that resevoir, when cold its not??

·
Registered
101 Posts
I believe its because when you have an engine cold, the oil is much thicker than run hot. So most of the oil will be collected w/in the engine itself. When you run it hot, the oil of course expands (like everything else when heated) but also THINS. This allows some of the oil to settle (with time) and therefore you need three minutes of cooling AFTER the oil has thinned some for the oil to settle to be registered.

Not a gearhead, if im off base someone has permission to flame me.\

·
Registered
750 Posts
ns2973 said:
I believe its because when you have an engine cold, the oil is much thicker than run hot. So most of the oil will be collected w/in the engine itself. When you run it hot, the oil of course expands (like everything else when heated) but also THINS. This allows some of the oil to settle (with time) and therefore you need three minutes of cooling AFTER the oil has thinned some for the oil to settle to be registered.

Not a gearhead, if im off base someone has permission to flame me.\
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
OK
Then could you say that the level when taken cold would always be the same for a perfectly filled bike? (should be right?)

Then, If it were low, still cold, would the level in that area be lower? or would the level be lower elsewhere (where we dont check) and the area we do check still stay the same because it fills before the other??

Sorry I dont have a good shop/skills/oil change equipment at this time to check myself.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was told that the oil runs down into the sump after the bike is shut off. The reason you have to check it within 3 minutes is because the oil starts leaving the sump and settling into the crankcase after 3 minutes. I assume that the dipstick is where the sump is which is why the reading is different when cold or after the 3 minute mark. So if you check it cold or wait longer than 3 minutes, the reading is inaccurate.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
What exactly does the heat up then wait do? Is the oil Expanding??
nope, nothing that complicated. when the engine is cold, the oil resides in a place that's away from the dipstick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts