M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off. Yall got a great thing going here. I am a longtime meber of SEVERAL forums and yall are a class act.

I bought my 07 109 last week and it is time to start modding it. I have come over from the sport bike world and I am used to fast and heavily modded bikes. I have searched and read a ton on here in the last week but I am still left with some lingering questions.

Before I start here are picks of my old bikes just for ****s and giggles.

This was my most recent.. 08 Busa with Brock Exhaust and a set of cams. roughly 185-195 HP on pump gas depending on the dyno.

My 06 ZX14 "BlackMagic" strictly a drag bike. Low-mid 8 second 1/4 miles(with a light jockey) more mods then I could mention here. (stolen a couple of years ago)

and my baby my favorite bike I have ever owned my ZX10

Well I cant find the pics of my 05 ZX10 but it was my fav...

I am gonna stay pretty basic with this bike as far as performance goes but I want the most bang for my buck.

I really liked the Cobra swept pipes but I cant bring myself to pay 600 bucks with no performance gains!

So what is the exhaust that "most" people agree gets the most HP gains. As of now I am leaning towards the RAW performance pipe short version. Opinions on this pipe please? Also I have always gone primarily with a PCIII but I dont plan on having this bike dynoed so will the FI2000R do just as well. pros and cons please...

and lastly intake systems. I want these to look good AND perform.

I am leaning toward the Thunder Tornadoes but I am open to other suggestions when it comes to intake systems. I look forward to reading you guys input as I will be ordering all this stuff before the end of the week...

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Does Hooker make pipes for the 9?

If they do , that would be my choice LOL

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
You're in shop talk

I think this is the right area to post pipes questions!
I put this here because the important part of the post is about the performance stuff. The other stuff is just fluff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I am gathering that the RAW pipes are getting hard to get and maybe there are some issues there... What is a good short 2into1 that is readily available that is going to make good power. I will probably order tommorrow.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,149 Posts
:welcome: to the forum bro!

That's a couple great looking bikes you have or had. :bigthumbsup:

Just about any 2 into 1 pipe will give the best performance. Since the Raw pipe is either hard or impossible to get, you only have a couple choices. Standard aftermarket items such as the Sideburner or Velocity Pro (discontinued but still out there), Velocity Lite (same as the Pro without the tip) or a pipe made by a former member on here called McCoy. Some have had some bad dealings with him and lost some money, others have had good dealings. It's a take your chance thing. But the pipe does produce power equal or close to what the Raw pipe does. If L.T.T. doesn't respond to this, PM him and ask him about it.

The Thunder is a good intake, as well as just about any of the various big air kits. Anything is an improvement over stock.

The PC3 or PC5 is the optimal tuning device if you don't mind doing the dyno work to get it there. You can get close to the same power with the Cobra FI2000R, but you have to take the time to tweak it. And it only adds fuel, can't take it away, but for the most part it needs fuel added anyway. Some folks have tired of getting a dyno tune done every time they changed something and switched from the PC3 to the Cobra with good results.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Good answers Zoom

Zoom gave a lot of good information. I would only add that DIY projects on this bike like intakes and exhaust seem to give very good results without spending a lot of money. A TRE, Cobra FI2000R, drilled stock pipes, and a cold air intake with less restriction, gives noticeable power, deeper sound and smoothness to this bike. Probably all you'll want on a shaft drive cruiser with some weak driveline components.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum.

Check out the Bang for the Bucks Mod link in my signature and also the Mid Atlantic Meet one.

Air intakes- For value and a one of a kind look go with the Ducks air mod and some K&N's. Keep in mind the more that is cut open the more air you suck in.

Pipes - I would go more with looks and sound that suits you best.

Fuel- I have and many have the FI2000R. Cobra is also coming out with a new self adjusting tuner this spring. Like you said it saves on the cost of getting it dynoed and it is tough to find a person that is really good at it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am thinking of going with the Ducks intakes... Do I just tell him the design I want or am I supposed to send him pictures? Also do I have to provide my own K and N filters or does he provide them.

Lastly I guess I am going to go with the FI2000R where do I order it that they provide the best "map" for it? Or does this unit have to be manually programmed?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Exactly what I have done

and the end of what I will do. Don't want to break nuttin LOL. I just have K&N's behind stock covers though.
Zoom gave a lot of good information. I would only add that DIY projects on this bike like intakes and exhaust seem to give very good results without spending a lot of money. A TRE, Cobra FI2000R, drilled stock pipes, and a cold air intake with less restriction, gives noticeable power, deeper sound and smoothness to this bike. Probably all you'll want on a shaft drive cruiser with some weak driveline components.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
I am thinking of going with the Ducks intakes... Do I just tell him the design I want or am I supposed to send him pictures? He has a ton of pictures on his website on the ones that he has done already. Also do I have to provide my own K and N filters or does he provide them.

Lastly I guess I am going to go with the FI2000R where do I order it that they provide the best "map" for it? Or does this unit have to be manually programmed?
If you have a design in mind you can email or I am sure fax it to him. If you look in the bang for the bucks mod thread there is a link to his website. Len is a great guy. You need to get your own K&N's.

The FI2000R comes set at 1,3,2 or 1,2,3, I can't remember. But you just play with it by bumping up one pot at a time until you feel the gain top off and then back it off in small increments until you feel a change. It tells you how to do it in the directions.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
1,3,2 is out of the box

Just put mine in yesterday.
If you have a design in mind you can email or I am sure fax it to him. If you look in the bang for the bucks mod thread there is a link to his website. Len is a great guy. You need to get your own K&N's.

The FI2000R comes set at 1,3,2 or 1,2,3, I can't remember. But you just play with it by bumping up one pot at a time until you feel the gain top off and then back it off in small increments until you feel a change. It tells you how to do it in the directions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
well I ordered the Road Burner Velocity Pro from the guy on ebay for 599.99 I also went ahead and ordered a PCIII omstead of the FI2000R I have a place to get the PCIII NIB for 250 bucks I figured for 50 dollars more I would rather have the tuneability of the PCIII. I think I am going to order the Ducks intakes, I am wondering if they provide an increase at least comparable to the big air kits and such?

Well I know me so I went back and ordered the Power Commander V in case I ever want to add the autotune (which I am sure I will) it was only 270 so I think it is well worth it. Does anyone have a good power commander map for the road Burner velocity Pro exhaust with stock intakes and also with Ducks intakes for when I get those. Thanks

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
BigMatt78

You're not likely to realize any performance gain from any pipes unless you at least also install some type of fuel processor, and probably open up the air intakes. The swepts alone won't gain you any power, but also adding let's say a Cobra FI2000 and K&N air filters will get you some gain, probably in the neighborhood of 5-7 HP and about the same in torque. Ususally 2 into 1 pipes are best for power gains.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grampi,
That is what I figured so I went ahead and ordered a Road Burner 2into1 and a Power commander V and then I am going to get the Ducks custom intakes. Thanks for taking the time to read the thread and offer feedback I appreciate it!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Grampi,
That is what I figured so I went ahead and ordered a Road Burner 2into1 and a Power commander V and then I am going to get the Ducks custom intakes. Thanks for taking the time to read the thread and offer feedback I appreciate it!
If your going with the Ducks, don't forget the K&N filters. That will really open up your intakes!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts