M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to install an integrated tail light onto my 2006. The tail light has 3 wires coming from it. 1 with the fat white plug and two yellow cables. I connected the white plug and the tail light comes on and works when brake is engaged but i have no clue as to where the two yellow cables connect. The instructions I received didn't even cover the yellow cables at all. There are two smaller connections, one gray and one white next to the fat white connection coming from the bike. Each of those connections have 2 wires joined together leading to the connection. I assume those are for the turn signals but am not sure.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The two extra conductors on the integrated light will be for the turn signals.
The ground is common in the light, so those conductors will go to the 12vdc + conductors of the turn signals.
The OEM service manual has a nice wiring diagram that covers the entire bike.
Here is a screen shot of the rear lighting wiring diagram that shows the conductor colors.

BCS

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so would the conductors coming from the tail light connect directly to the entire conductor (respectively left and right) or just one portion of the conductor coming from the bike? For example one yellow conductor from the tail light to the "Lg" connection for the right rear turn signal. If thats the case then does the other portion (B/W) not connect to anything?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
As said above the ground is common is in the integrated light. Meaning you only need one ground wire from the bike harness to the integrated light for the tail, brake and turn signals.
This common ground in the light is already being feed from the tail light connection you made via the 3 pin electrical connector.
If you look at the wiring diagram I posted above it is obvious that the B/W wires from the bikes turn signal harness are ground. Since there is no need to (or place) to connect an additional ground the light the B/W conductors from the turn signal harness are not used.
Just connect the 2 additional wires from the light to each of the 12vdc + conductors from the turn signals. (one to the left side and one to the right side)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes alot of sense now lol. Thank you so much for all the help. Ill give it a shot and let you know how it goes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts