M109 Rider Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
I've never heard of open filters being an issue in the rain. I think you would have to submerge it for it to be a problem. Mine are open and I never give it a second thought when it rains, and I've ridden in some real downpours.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ok. As my last post states, the Forcewinders are on the way. My concern as I contonue thinking about it... is rain. I spoke with the owner of UseForce who said that the filter elements do not require oil like many ither open air filters. Also that the sock cover is only somewhat water repellent. So... I do remember reading, on this forum, that several guys run the open air and have never had any issues. I don't anticipate riding in the rain, but you know how that goes. Especially when it is parked at work and a shower hits. What are your thoughts? Overly concerned or legit. Hate to throw out 600 bucks and have an issue.
If they don't need oiling , then they're paper rather than gauze , meaning they don't flow much and are throw away filters , rather than washable. If the entire surface of the filter is wet and the motor is trying to pull air through it , it will suck up water , at least on a horizontal intake , the 9 the air has to go up and through the plenum before getting to the throttle bodies , it's probably not a problem. I've had carbed bikes with K&N's on the side draft carbs , it'll suck in the water and you struggle to get the motor started.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've never heard of open filters being an issue in the rain. I think you would have to submerge it for it to be a problem. Mine are open and I never give it a second thought when it rains, and I've ridden in some real downpours.
Great to hear Zoom! I appreciate that. Gives me some peace of mind as I am really looking forward to adding the final piece to the pipe/flash tune upgrade.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If they don't need oiling , then they're paper rather than gauze , meaning they don't flow much and are throw away filters , rather than washable. If the entire surface of the filter is wet and the motor is trying to pull air through it , it will suck up water , at least on a horizontal intake , the 9 the air has to go up and through the plenum before getting to the throttle bodies , it's probably not a problem. I've had carbed bikes with K&N's on the side draft carbs , it'll suck in the water and you struggle to get the motor started.
Hmmm. Nick, regarding the Forcewinder, told me that he runs them on his Honda VTX 1800 and cleans his every so often. For $600.00 and a filter replacement at $60.00, they better not be paper. 😏

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Well, the LA Choppers filters on my bike aren't a problem in rain. Number one, they're mounted sideways, not upright. Number two, the air has to go up those tubes on either side to get in to the plenum under t he tank. Water isn't going to go uphill very well. The air will be humid, but that isn't a problem. Ever heard of water injection? I've used it on several vehicles. There's a company right here in Oklahoma City, Devil's Own, that makes a proper set up for vehicles.

Reactions: Doug357

·
Registered
148 Posts
On my bike i have Hyperforcer with differend long elbow pipes. So it look symetric at both sides. I have k&n Filter on them and i clean them 2-3 times per year, with k&n Special airfiltercleaning Liquid. After cleaning, i put some k&n airfilter oil on them. With new oil they look red. After 2-3 months the color change to gray. I think it is still working fine, gut i like the red color more. Were can i order those rainsocks? I can only find some with k&n letters in them. It only looks okay for the right side. On the left side, the letters are upside down.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Were can i order those rainsocks? I can only find some with k&n letters in them. It only looks okay for the right side. On the left side, the letters are upside down. View attachment 419428
Same issue with the aocks for these Forcewinders. If I remember right, he told me that it is ok for the black but other colors are upside down. He recommended just turning them in. Here is a link to their site. Looks like the K&N's and the Forcewinders might be compatible/ interchanging. Not sure though. It looks like the housing on the front of the filter is oblong or oval rather than round.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Same issue with the socks for these Forcewinders. If I remember right, he told me that it is ok for the black but other colors are upside down. He recommended just turning them in. Here is a link to their site. Looks like the K&N's and the Forcewinders might be compatible/ interchanging.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I recognized that your intakes (Cruiserbear) are oblong/ oval as well. So, it DOES look like the Forcewinder socks may work on the K&N filters.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
Sounds like a load of sales bullshit to me , and K&N's don't pass 42% of dust through them.
I agree. I have a large inline water filter in my house and it survives thousands of gallons of water going through it without dissolving and filters down to 5 microns, but I don't see that material (melt blown polypropylene) being effective for an air filter. It takes a lot of surface area to maintain a good water pressure, so even though air is nowhere near as dense as water it would still take a lot of area to filter as much air as these inhale.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree. I have a large inline water filter in my house and it survives thousands of gallons of water going through it without dissolving and filters down to 5 microns, but I don't see that material (melt blown polypropylene) being effective for an air filter. It takes a lot of surface area to maintain a good water pressure, so even though air is nowhere near as dense as water it would still take a lot of area to filter as much air as these inhale.
Approximately 120 CFM per filter at 7500 RPM on a 9.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
Approximately 120 CFM per filter at 7500 RPM on a 9.
I'm assuming that's at 100% VE,so it would be a little less than that depending on how efficient the engine is. So it wouldn't take a lot of surface area of a medium particulate filter to flow that much and still have low pressure drop. And the non-woven materials used in most air filters appear to be cleanable too. I may have to retract my statement above about it being sales BS.

That's what I like about this forum. I would never be sitting here on a normal night doing research on non-woven fabric filters and figuring pressure drops across surface area of different materials, and whether or not they are cleanable as well. :)

Or it could be as my wife just asked me "What are you wasting your time on over there?" :confused:

·
Registered
322 Posts

Here’s my setup, there are people who “know everything” who will say the engine heat will rob power from the bike, but my real world experience is the opposite. The power increase has been amazing! I did this setup along with exhaust and a tune from BCS and the combo has been a significant improvement

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
I have Tornado intakes on my bike and have been caught in several monsoons and haven't even had a drop of water make it past the filter into the housing.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Here’s my setup, there are people who “know everything” who will say the engine heat will rob power from the bike, but my real world experience is the opposite. The power increase has been amazing! I did this setup along with exhaust and a tune from BCS and the combo has been a significant improvement
It surely gives a nice intake roar too.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,770 Posts
Reactions: Zoom
21 - 38 of 38 Posts