M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to thank Botlfed109 for that great intake mod he did. Since we had nothing but rain all day yesterday, I decided to do his mod with just a slight twist to it. What you will see is that I have them going in different directions! :bigthumbsup:
While I had it all apart, including taking the air box out to see what stuff JR talks about removing, I did some stuff myself to the airbox. I think the air filters look good tucked in the way they are, but I'm sure some will say otherwise. :bigthumbsup: :doorag: :joke:

·
Registered
253 Posts
looks good and so far i reckon those filters look the best i do have a question thou with the right side filter facing backwards would that have an effect on the air going into the motor as the left side will be working as Ram Air but the right will be sucking I know why you have done it this way but I would like to know if it would throw the engine out at all Oh and any chance of getting me the part #'s for the filters

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew this was gonna cause some remarks :hot: :hot: :clap2: :clap2: That's OK, for those that might want something like this, just go to your local PepBoys. It's all Spectre, two of everything: 1.) air filters #8168. 2.) 60 degree elbows #8668. 3.) coupler kits #8771. 4.) breather filters #399S.
I did shorten the intake tubes going to the air box. If you do it right, there will be a continual ridge going around that you cut in front of. This makes a very good seal with that ridge and the coupler kit. Just be careful not to shorten it to much, or the gas tank will not go down.
As far as being forced air(going about 75mph and putting my hand down on the left side in front of filter, I do not really detect a ram effect at the front of filter) on one side and not on the other, I really do not think that is a problem. I would like to get some feedback from some of our top performance guys on that if any are willing.
Performance wise, I think it helps. :doorag: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
253 Posts
RLS thanks for the part #'s but I will need brand names also cause being an Aussie we dont have any Pep Boys around here and hey I wasnt bagging your project I was just asking a simple question

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
RLS,

Have you noticed more power, noise louder exhaust???? Just wondering what you have experienced after this mod. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Xhiler8r, Spectre is the brand name of all parts. I believe it is Spectreperformance.com :bigthumbsup:

Chuck, I have not had much time for riding it yet since doing this, but the little I did was very impressive. Low end was smother and throttle responce is way better and my butt and arms say more power. :bigthumbsup: Exhaust noise is the same.

·
Registered
961 Posts
RLS,

Good job!!! I did this mod when BotlFed first posted it. I don't know where you're located, but I noticed my bike was running a little lean after the mod. I added the FI2000R and played with the pot settings, I ran the the default settings which were 1,3,2 for their pipes or any after market pipes. I have my stock pipes and the air mod and JSD-3M tried different settings like 2,4,3, and 2,3,4 and it was too rich off of idle and rich in mid rpms to the point of stalling from take off and some bogging after 4 grand. So, I went with 1.5,3,3 and it's now perfect. I just thought I would throw that out at you. I thought about the power commander but I'm not changing out my pipes so the FI2000R does the job.

C-One

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Cormierone said:
RLS,

Good job!!! I did this mod when BotlFed first posted it. I don't know where you're located, but I noticed my bike was running a little lean after the mod. I added the FI2000R and played with the pot settings, I ran the the default settings which were 1,3,2 for their pipes or any after market pipes. I have my stock pipes and the air mod and JSD-3M tried different settings like 2,4,3, and 2,3,4 and it was too rich off of idle and rich in mid rpms to the point of stalling from take off and some bogging after 4 grand. So, I went with 1.5,3,3 and it's now perfect. I just thought I would throw that out at you. I thought about the power commander but I'm not changing out my pipes so the FI2000R does the job.

C-One
Are your pipes stock as in no baffle mods? I have not completed the air mod but have drilled out 3 baffles in each of two pipes. I used JR's recomended 2,4,3 on my FI2000R and it is perfect for my setup.

I wonder if modding the pipes requires more richening than just doing the air mod???

·
Registered
961 Posts
Chuck,

Thanks, that answers my question and no I have not drilled the pipes. Mine are completely stock, this surely explains why that my pot1 setting is at 1.5 opposed to 2.

C-One

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
One reason I can see for the offset is the the air tube enters the air box toward the front on the right and toward the rear on the left. To keep the filter centered between the jugs you have to do that .................. at least thats how I see it ;)

·
Registered
443 Posts
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your right, I just wanted to keep them tucked in as much as possible and also have them centered. Total cost was about $115. I have the Cobra FI2000R and JSD 3. The Cobra is at factory settings. My exhaust only has the 8 holes drilled out on ea. pipe, using a 1/2" bit. :bigthumbsup: :doorag: :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts