M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say guys...for those of you that have experience or may have heard...when the insurance totals ur bike...do they give and account of all the mods that are on the bike or do they just write the check for blue book value...just wondering...don't wanna drop all this cash and god forbide go down and just get blue book!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Boss,

The standard is that they will cover a certain amount of additions. Progressive is something like 3k. Anymore than that you need to make a list and get them to add that coverage to your policy. It would also help to have receipts or some type of print out off the net for the parts you have installed. Also, a few photos of the parts would be good. Get all that info together and have your agent keep it on file for you. If you have any questions please let me know.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I have accessory coverage on all three of our bikes. It's cheap, and worth it. That way your goodies are covered. Ask your agent about it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'm with Progressive and they let you choose how much accessory coverage you want up to a certain amount. I think I chose $5k accessory coverage to be on the safe side and it is very cheap.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yea Chilli,

You have options on your policy but some companies require you show proof of what additions you have done. Progressive is pretty easy in their requirements. I would say check with your agent and cover your asssss well with infomation to back up your insured cost. I have seen them try to screw the client for not having proof of purchase information.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Many times it depends on your policy. I had accesory coverage on mine and found that it doesn't exactly cover the way you woulod think. It covered the windsheild but would not cover aftermarket wheels beyond the cost of stock because the bike came with wheels they are not considered accesories, but replacements. Always ask ahead of time how things are covered. Also get Gap coverage to make sure that you get full replacement value for your bike. Never assume anything when it comes to insurance. ASK FIRST!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Yea Chilli,

You have options on your policy but some companies require you show proof of what additions you have done. Progressive is pretty easy in their requirements. I would say check with your agent and cover your asssss well with infomation to back up your insured cost. I have seen them try to screw the client for not having proof of purchase information.
I think to really be on the safe side, I'm going to take pictures and make a video of everything on my bike.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm with progressive and just wanted to get some info...i will reach out to my agent and get some confirmation...thanks guys!! i knew i could count on you:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Funny I just had to look at my Progressive coverage today because my bill is coming due. They have a simple box online for custom parts and you can fill in what dollar amount extra you want covered. Honestly it doesn't really add all the much to your yearly premium.

Depending on what kind of medical coverage you have I would also strongly recommend getting at least $5000.00 in medical payment coverage just in case of an accident. An ambulance ride and an emergency visit is gonna be $5k - $6k minimum.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
I'm with progressive and just wanted to get some info...i will reach out to my agent and get some confirmation...thanks guys!! i knew i could count on you:D:D:D
I'm with them also and I think it comes with 3-5k in aftermarket coverage. But you should call them and find out your options. You should do that with everthing you insure. I check everything I cover atleast every 2 years.

·
Registered
620 Posts
It's different down there than here. Up here you have to find an Insurance provider that will cover "mods", then you have to have the vehicle appraised and then insured for that value, then when something happens they pay out that value.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spoke with the progressive rep...got 5k coverage right off the rip...rep stated that i should take photos and keep receipts as things are added..can increase that amount if needed...5k is good right now as i dont have custom wheels, raked trees, fork covers, risers, cables, and single side break setup....YET!!!!!!!:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Boss,

The standard is that they will cover a certain amount of additions. Progressive is something like 3k. Anymore than that you need to make a list and get them to add that coverage to your policy. It would also help to have receipts or some type of print out off the net for the parts you have installed. Also, a few photos of the parts would be good. Get all that info together and have your agent keep it on file for you. If you have any questions please let me know.
PM sent.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
Spoke with the progressive rep...got 5k coverage right off the rip...rep stated that i should take photos and keep receipts as things are added..can increase that amount if needed...5k is good right now as i dont have custom wheels, raked trees, fork covers, risers, cables, and single side break setup....YET!!!!!!!:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:
Honestly, why take photos? If the bike is totaled you can see the bike. The only reason that I can see is if it was stolen and not recovered.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ryno,

For the little effort it takes to snap a few pics of the special parts on the bike...it is worth it. Just like you said, if it is stolen then you have no proof of the added parts. But there would also be house fire(garage), major accident that busts the bike all up, bike itself burning or parts just stolen off bike. If you are gong to pay the money for the coverage then it makes sense to have proof so you can get the money out of your claim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts