M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a Kuryakyn throttle lock, but can't get the stock parts out.
Photos below is the stock end cap and the throttle lock
Next is whats left in the handlebar. How does that come out?
Any insights would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,646 Posts
IMHO
If your instructions dont tell you otherwise, it looks to me you need to drill inside the stock handlebar exact hole for the throttle lock wedge to fit in such a way its wedge system will nicely lock inside it. Make sure you do not drill the hole too large...

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,646 Posts
I'm installing a Kuryakyn throttle lock, but can't get the stock parts out.
Photos below is the stock end cap and the throttle lock
Next is whats left in the handlebar. How does that come out?
Any insights would be appreciated

IMHO
If your instructions dont tell you otherwise, it looks to me you need to drill inside the stock handlebar exact hole for the throttle lock wedge to fit in such a way its wedge system will nicely lock inside it. Make sure you do not drill the hole too large...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The instructions do say to cut a hole for the throttle lock to fit in, but I would rather be able to remove whats in there. Its gotta come out some how?

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,646 Posts
The instructions do say to cut a hole for the throttle lock to fit in, but I would rather be able to remove whats in there. Its gotta come out some how?

Personally I have not done it, if no one chimes in, I would screw in cheap longer bolt, and try to gently hammer it out by holding it in the pliers... :unsure: 🍻
According to parts picture it does have a thread inside...:

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Disconnect the top throttle cable from the throttle body side, then remove the grip and look at the bottom of the bar, you will see 2 spot welds.
Drill these two spot welds out and the bar weight can then be removed easily.

BCS

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,646 Posts
Disconnect the top throttle cable from the throttle body side, then remove the grip and look at the bottom of the bar, you will see 2 spot welds.
Drill these two spot welds out and the bar weight can then be removed easily.

BCS
Do you know is it the same on M109 as on C109 ?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Do you know is it the same on M109 as on C109 ?
Honestly I did not even notice this post was about a C109.
I responded right as I got on shift this morning before I had my coffee, so eyes were still half closed.
Don't have a C109R but if I had to bet, I would say its probably going to be installed the same way. Cant imagine they threaded the inside of the bars to screw the weight in place and it is secured somehow.
10 minute job to get the grip off, so OP can confirm when he looks underneath for the spot welds. :)

BCS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the insight about the spot welds.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yes, I installed one of those on my M109 for a while. You need to drill or grind out the spot weld and the plug will come right out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Honestly I did not even notice this post was about a C109.
I responded right as I got on shift this morning before I had my coffee, so eyes were still half closed.
Don't have a C109R but if I had to bet, I would say its probably going to be installed the same way. Cant imagine they threaded the inside of the bars to screw the weight in place and it is secured somehow.
10 minute job to get the grip off, so OP can confirm when he looks underneath for the spot welds. :)

BCS
Got to like that first coffee!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts