M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my 2in risers and when I was done the throttle side cables are way to tight. The cables are ok when turning left and when they are straight but I can't turn the bars to the rigth that much. How can I get some more play in the cables without replacing them.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
You can't.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I rerouted the cables and I was able to turn the bars but when I started the bike and turned the bars the throttle got stuck. So I took the risers off for now and I will work on it this weekend when I pull my wheels off for my new 10in and 280 and 160 front.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You dont need new cables just reroute them behind the triple tree. I put 2 inch risers on my 08 and put hundreds of miles on with no problem.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You rerouted your cables but did not adjust them afterward?

That is my guess.

Sure, you can gain quite a bit of room by rerouting your cables.

Once you have them where you want them, you need to adjust them to get the proper tension for the new route.

Not a big deal, just play with the adjustment until it moves like it should.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You dont need new cables just reroute them behind the triple tree. I put 2 inch risers on my 08 and put hundreds of miles on with no problem.
:agree: I also added the 2" longer risers and re-routed behind the triple tree with no problem.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I hope you already know there is
no need to remove the triple tree to reroute throttle side,
( same for other side )
just undo the housing of the starter button and remove end cap
you can slide off the throttle and reroute it .
when I did mine the tutorial said to remove triple tree
but I didn't .I have the stock cables with 2 inch risers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Want 2" Risers and use Stock Cables, not a problem...

For the nay sayers who believe that you cant use 2" risers with stock cables, here you go:

I used a small piece if 1/8" aluminum bar stock to locate the brake hose tee up ~1". Dunno if it was really needed in the end, but I think Big Poppa suggested it, and there is plenty of slack. I taped one hole M8-1.25? to hold a bolt put through the hose tee and drilled a clearence hole on the other end to re-use the stock bolt to hold the aluminum bracket.

For the clutch side, I re-routed the cable on the outside of the engine mount and frame rail. To do this, I had to remove the clutch chrome cover and disconnect the cable and lever arm.

On the throttle side, I took the throttle off the handle bar (remove end cap and three screw under the starter switch housing) and routed it under the triple-tree. (no need to take the triple-tree off then) When I did this, I routed the cables over the brake hose, and they do not rub at all.

To finish it all up, I used a few small black zip ties to hold the cables, wires, and hoses together. Cleaner look and more prevention of things rubbing. (see drivers view)

Take care,
Shane

1 - 11 of 11 Posts