M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I deleted the links. The intent was to give some basics of how to do it but it looks like it might be confusing people.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I found it to be very easy...the pain in the butt part if any was attaching the 2 throttle cables...I've done it 3 times now...2 other buddies on thier 109's + my own.

I can do it inside of 30 minutes...very easy. 1 piece of advice..when applying the glue in the grip (left) be prepared to do it in almost 1 swift action....have a
visual on how your going to place your grip..(lined up with the opposite "throttle"grip) push it on cleaned bar...and don't stop moving it till your satisfied of it's position , once you stop...that it she is on ! it's some powerful glue.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great vids....question: is the throttle boss shown in the vid a universal item or is it model specific? I'd love to get one for the 109....

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is great. My shop is having a half-price sale this Saturday and I was planning on getting the flame grips. Thanks for taking the time to make the video...Ride Safe! :)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The throttle boss comes 2 ways...plastic or chrome...get the chrome...it won't wear out and cost 5-6 bucks more.

These grips also enhance appearance...and feel way nicer.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Ok, maybe I missed something, but those videos weren't anything like the How To step by step post on installing those grips. Where was the part about the throttle cables and all that stuff? I asked about the ISOs at my local dealer, and they said that the bars were short on the 109 which made the ISOs not a good fit. Said there wasn't enough bar to support the rubber pieces near the end of the grip. They did say that they put a pair on a ladie's 109 since she insisted, but their comments left me cautious about buying a set.

·
Registered
600 Posts
About 30 minutes, an exacto knife, a small hammer, a little sandpaper and Windex... oh, and maybe 10 minutes to Dremel the teet off of the signal light/ high-beam switch housing so I could adjust the clutch lever where I wanted without it hitting the "pass" button :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
EAGLEFAN67 said:
You must buy the correct set...I forget the model number...someone will chime in.
They are listed on DirectLine, so I imagine those are the right set. Still, the video is much different than the How-To thread.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Stretch said:
Of course it's different, the video is for a VTX and not a 109! Trust the 'how to' section, it works.
I realize they are installing on a different bike. The OP made it sound like you could go by those videos for the 109, and according to the steps in the how-to section, they are much different procedures. I wish they just slipped on like in the video. Would make the switch much easier. I may just let the local shop do the switch for me. Not sure if I'm ready to fiddle with the throttle cables and such.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Also, if you do a search, someone recommends a different glue as it gives enough time for a small adjustment when installing... Gorilla glue maybe?

Sledzep

·
Registered
67 Posts
Added the ISO grips a week or so ago and it was very straight forward. Removed the left one, loosened the throttle tension and put the left grip on. It was a little work to get the cables back on but not too bad. The right one I put a screw driver under the rubber and reamed around the bar until it came off. Added glue and put the grip on. Lined it up first thank goodnes.

I added the red rings and helmet locks that go with it. Love it. Feels great and fits perfect.

Also added the Switch Blade foot peddles and love them also. I use them open on the highway and up when I do a lot of cornering. Perfect solution.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Sailor,

I ordered a set for my bike, can you explain the procedure for the throttle? I'm not picturing in my head why you have to do anything with the throttle cables. Shouldn't it be like in the video of splitting the old grips with a box knife and remove the rubber and grip rings. I'm trying to uderstand the throttle cable issue. Can you enlightened us. I've been very fortunate with upgrades that I've made through the experience of others on this site. Thanks

C-One

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Cormierone said:
Sailor,

I ordered a set for my bike, can you explain the procedure for the throttle? I'm not picturing in my head why you have to do anything with the throttle cables. Shouldn't it be like in the video of splitting the old grips with a box knife and remove the rubber and grip rings. I'm trying to uderstand the throttle cable issue. Can you enlightened us. I've been very fortunate with upgrades that I've made through the experience of others on this site. Thanks

C-One
Go to the How-To section, and view the thread on Installing Kury Grips. It tells you how to loosen the throttle cable.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thanks,

It's like my Voyager, now I know what you were saying.

C-One

1 - 17 of 17 Posts