M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some quick advise -- Bike's apart and I'm trying to install the JSD 3M -- looking for the "white GPS connector" with black blue and pink wires" and can only find a black connector (that looks similar) with orange white and black with white stripe wires. Do I have to tear into cables or anything to look for a white connector or did someone else encounter a black GPS connector?

I know everyone says this mod is easy. but a little quick advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
176 Posts
look in the tech section for this install it has a good set of pics the last time I looked. Everything was exactly like the instructions that came with the mod. I think he also has a web site but don't remember. When I did mine I had to look around and slightly pull the connectors out to see them. Then it was simply unsnap and plug to complete and pick a spot for the gound wire.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Installing JSD 3M -- Need quick answer please - update

Used the black connector with different color wires than was listed in the instructions and the engine runs fine -- too early to say if I can notice the low end benefits others have posted. I ran into a problem thought -- the speedometer no longer works.

I'll check fuses tomorrow and maybe look further for a white connector. The black one fit exactly and I thought it was what the jsd 3M needed to be connected to.

If someone knows that there is a speedometer connector that is exactly the same fit as the jsd 3M fits and is located in the same general region please let me know. I did have a little trouble getting my hands into the connector to get it disconnected the first time.

Any help would be appreciated. I did go to the tech site and searched jsd install saw lots of posts but mostly they were about perpormance and octane and using cooler plugs -- did not find a good install "how to" -- sorry but I did search twice.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Dude, I would re-read the how to post on this, and start again. Sounds like you may have hooked it up wrong.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have been searching and reading the how to strings for about 90 mins this time -- the only pictures I found referenced where from the JSDproducts site and would not come up.

If you have a picture or a site or a specific thread I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Canuk said:
Dude, I would re-read the how to post on this, and start again. Sounds like you may have hooked it up wrong.
The instructions (that came with it) for installing the JSD are complete :read:..if you are hooking into a "black" connector you have the wrong one. Three pin triangular white connection and it is right behind the box section of frame when you take the cover off (exhaust side). Pink, blue and black wires...NEVER, NEVER, NEVER connect anything unless you are sure you have the right part of the loom..you are fortunate that just your speedo didn't work.
Find what I have described and then double check with the instructions....I could be a Troll :bigthumbsup:

You must have a good earth for it to work!

·
Registered
516 Posts
the instructions were great, I ordered the JSD-3M and do NOT have a ground wire, like Austin pointed out, I also had to grab and pull a bit on the wires so as to see the colors, but the connectors are easy to spot. Good Luck. Remeber it's on the RIGHT side of the bike (as you sit on it). Cheers :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
RubenAlonzo said:
the instructions were great, I ordered the JSD-3M and do NOT have a ground wire, like Austin pointed out, I also had to grab and pull a bit on the wires so as to see the colors, but the connectors are easy to spot. Good Luck. Remeber it's on the RIGHT side of the bike (as you sit on it). Cheers :bigthumbsup:
DITTO !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Installing JSD 3M -- Mistake Resolved

Thanks for the advice gentlemen -- this issue is resolved -- JSD 3M working nicely as many others have reported -- verdict was mechanic's oversight, just as some suggested. Perhaps others can learn from and avoid my mistake...

First, overall the modification was relatively easy, but finding the correct connector was tricky. The key for me was that it was hidden behind the channel member of the frame (I think someone may have called this the "box") and only identifiable by touch. The black connector (I mentioned ealier in the string) that was readily visible behind the rear cylinder head was clearly incorrect (although it fit perfectly). It must be to the speedometer, because the speedo quit with the JSD attached to it and then worked fine upon reconnection without the JSD. After connecting the JSD the white connector with JSD in tow slipped again out of sight behind the frame channel piece (note the channel piece is the ~3 in. wide black vertical frame piece staring you in the face once you remove the exhaust-side side panel per directions).

Working with the GPS connector within the small space was also a challenge -- for me what helped was using a screw driver (or an ice pick would work better) to depress the clip or catch that secures the connector in place went fully inserted. One hand bearly fits into the space to grasp the top of the connector and the pick (I used a pointed wood bit) in my other hand reached in to depress the clip thereby allowing the connector to slide apart. A flashlight in my teeth also was necessary to see what I was doing. Perhaps other's assemblies had more wire slack and were not so challenging, but like in so many other ways my M109R is "special".

If you can't find the white GPS connector, don't presume wrongly (like I did) that Suzuki may have used another color connector. The wire colors were indeed the same on my bike as stated in the JSD 3M directions, although it took a strong light and a better eye than mine to confirm this.

Thanks to those who suggested perserverance and sticking to the directions. Please don't take my questions or sharing as dissatisfaction -- love the bike and very satisfied with the JSD 3M. Bike runs smoother in lower gears, idle at 900 to 1100 RPM (don't know the pattern) is not noticeably different from before the mod.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts