M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site and just bought a 06 Burple, the previous owner had lots of good custom stuff, RC chrome wheels with 280 tire on back, bar risers, drag pipes, lots of chrome, etc. However, bike had some paint scratches on the headlight cover, so I took it off and had it painted and had the chrome center section replaced. Came off easy after I figured how to get those dam clips out. But when I tried to install it back again it would not line up with the two side bolts that hold it onto the bracket.
It seems like it will not go back into place? Is the back of the inside headlight bracket hitting something? I see the holes in the bracket and the posts on the headlight, but with the back plastic cover you cannot see what your are doing? Any help you can give me on how to get this back onto the bike will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
there are 3 prongs that are kinda a :edit: to get lined up....the rubber grommets foleded in on me...or fell off......but a few trys and alota pushin....it eventually went together!!!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Just stand behind the headlight with a flashlight and watch those 3 tabs line up.

I find it easiest to get the bottom one in place first then go for the other 2.

If it does not go in easy with all 3 lined up, something is in your way.

The most common culprit I have seen is the brake line, which you can get out of the way by pulling it away from the holes the tbs line up into before you start to put it together.

There should be no force involved, but you may find it helpful to dab some wd40 or other lube on the rubber grommets and tabs.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
I use silicone grease on the rubber grommets, and follow it up with some gentle force. I've had mine off dozens of times and it never goes back on real easy. Once you have it close to being on, go to one side and pull back on it to get the bolt on that side to line up. Put that bolt in about half way, then go to the other side and do the same thing. I've never had it go on far enough that I could just put the bolts in, always have to pull on it a bit.

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
As stated, just take your time and line them up. It gets easier the more you take it off.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Enlarge the holes

Mine was almost impossible to put back on until I enlarged the holes in the rubber grommets a bit with a round file. WD-40 helps too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i had the same issue but i just cut the plastic, was doing a tach relocation anyways lol... but if you havent gotten it yet try this....

1. straighten the wheel and connect wires (or double check them)

2. tilt the headlight slightly downward then proceed to putting it on

3. carefully line up the holes with the pegs... you can pull back the black plastic a little to see. **At this point, if you are standing in front of the bike and see the top left peg, get this one in and the rest will follow. Thats from my experience. I haven't oiled anything up but it will help.. Also make sure the angle of the headlight is tilted correctly.

4. Line up the screw holes and tighten screws

5. Go out for a ride :p

I have a 06 Burple too the only dificulty i have now is getting the screws to go in with ease, but like i said i havent oiled anything up.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Do you have a stebel horn up front or HID headlight? Sometimes the extra wires like to interfere. As stated by everyone else, just take your time. I have found that if you get the brake lever side started, then do the other side. Sometimes it is simple as a wire getting in the way of one of the 3 prongs that need to go in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine was almost impossible to put back on until I enlarged the holes in the rubber grommets a bit with a round file. WD-40 helps too.
What holes are you talking about? What rubber grommets? The holes in the metal bracket are not rubber, are you talking about the holes in the
black plastic back cover?

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
What holes are you talking about? What rubber grommets? The holes in the metal bracket are not rubber, are you talking about the holes in the
black plastic back cover?
there is a metal frame with 3 or 2 holes i think with rubber grommets in them, and yep i had the same probs, it was a bitch to line up, put a bit of wd 40 on it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
grommets

The grommets are attached to the headlight,they locate in the holes in the frame,iv just fitted rivco risers and had to disgard the black plastic backing plate so i can see into the rear of my light easily,but you should as said above use some grease or WD40 to help ease them on,you have to push hard to get that baby home......

·
Registered
148 Posts
chrome piece

I am new to this site and just bought a 06 Burple, the previous owner had lots of good custom stuff, RC chrome wheels with 280 tire on back, bar risers, drag pipes, lots of chrome, etc. However, bike had some paint scratches on the headlight cover, so I took it off and had it painted and had the chrome center section replaced. Came off easy after I figured how to get those dam clips out. But when I tried to install it back again it would not line up with the two side bolts that hold it onto the bracket.
It seems like it will not go back into place? Is the back of the inside headlight bracket hitting something? I see the holes in the bracket and the posts on the headlight, but with the back plastic cover you cannot see what your are doing? Any help you can give me on how to get this back onto the bike will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
The guy I bought my bike from had painted the chrome headlight piece blk. I guess I like the look, but I mean chrome is chrome:D. Is the piece a dealer part only or can I get one aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Put some tape on the sides where the signal brackets are so you don't scratch the paint while you are pushing like crazy to get it back together.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chrome head light cover

The guy I bought my bike from had painted the chrome headlight piece blk. I guess I like the look, but I mean chrome is chrome:D. Is the piece a dealer part only or can I get one aftermarket?
It is a dealer part only, no aftermarket for chrome cover. It lists retail for
$165.00, I got mine for $105.00 after I told dealer that another local dealer would discount it. Don't be afraid to ask dealer for discounts on any parts, I always do and tell them another dealer will give it to me for less. Thet always knock 15 to 40% off retail , depending on the part.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just use the force....and a flashlight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts