M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered rims from coastal moto, and im wondering do i have to remove hub to fit the 280 on ,not much on how to forum for installing a 280.:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
Since you are putting a 280 on there, I assume that you got the 10 inch rim. I would just to make sure that you do not scratch the new rim. Because then you will be :edit::edit: if you damage your new rim.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Since you are putting a 280 on there, I assume that you got the 10 inch rim. I would just to make sure that you do not scratch the new rim. Because then you will be :edit::edit: if you damage your new rim.
If you pull the hub off how would you install the wheel? Do you install the hub to the wheel then slide it back into the shaft? Just wondering because I am getting ready to do the same thing.

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
You can try and loosen the rear hub. I do that even with my 250. That might give you the clearance. But if you had to go that way I would think that you would make the wheel hub and swing arm and then put it into the secondary. PM LTT I know he has done it with his PHAT 300.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
If you have the 280 on 10"wheel,you need to grind the inner part of your driveshaft 1/8 of an inch and paint it.... There is no clearance on the hub side..just grind a 1-2" area where the rim and tire edge passes the shaft...it's really tight,I wish now I would have just bit the bullet and bought the bigger swing arm...

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yes you will need to remove the hub. Some people have done it without but I wouldn't recommend it, it is way too tight and you take a big chance scratching your rims. I also used painters tape around the lip of the rim just in case. I didn't have to grind or paint anything nor have I heard of anyone else doing that but to each thy own.......Good luck!

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
I heard of a few people that had tire rubbing issues on driveshaft side,but others that had no problem....but there was one post a while back that warned of this and recommended taking a little off to be safe...i didnt and now i have a tire that rubs..now i have to take it off again...pain in the azz...i guess they sold me a 282 metzler...:joke:mabey ill order a 278

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
If you have long pipes then you can either remove the hub or remove the pipes. If you have short pipes then you dont have to remove the hub. Just loosen the hub where it has a little bit of play, remove EVERYTHING. spacers, rotor and the whole caliper bracket. When putting the wheel in, slide it in from the RIGHT side on a angle with the RIGHT side of the swing arm inside the wheel. Once you get the LEFT side past the flange of the LEFT side of the swing arm you can straighten the wheel in and start putting the drive shaft into the swing arm. Put everything back together and your good.

EDIT for corrections

·
Registered
877 Posts
remove pumpkin(3bolts then slides out) roll wheel into swingarm then reinstall pumpkin(good luck hard part:D)bolt back up then proceed with install off rim...make sure u got weight on front or attach bike 2 ur jack that thang gets a lil sketchy once u put the weight of the rear on...easier wit 2 peeps:bigthumbsup:
oh:nopic: when done...

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
remove pumpkin(3bolts then slides out) roll wheel into swingarm then reinstall pumpkin(good luck hard part:D)bolt back up then proceed with install off rim...:bigthumbsup:
oh:nopic: when done
There is a trick to it. Takes 2 people. Youll need a hook pick, best one that works is one that has two 45 turns on it, and a flash light. Pull the dust cover back and use the hook to hold the U joint stright and shine the flash light in the swing arm to get an idea or what your aiming at. Should slide right in after a couple trys.

·
Registered
877 Posts
There is a trick to it. Takes 2 people. Youll need a hook pick, best one that works is one that has two 45 turns on it, and a flash light. Pull the dust cover back and use the hook to hold the U joint stright and shine the flash light in the swing arm to get an idea or what your aiming at. Should slide right in after a couple trys.
yeah 4got that part:D...took me and WS109 more than a couple...haha

·
Registered
913 Posts
I pull my final drive hub to install and remove my rear wheel. To install ur wheel, pull ur final drive hub, remove chrome side covers, and remover your secondary drive. Its held on by 4 bolts and a sensor. Put your wheel in place, slide final drive hub in and place acorn nuts on only a few threads, leaving some wiggle room. Place u joint on propellar shaft, slide secondary drive on u joint and into place on motor. Bolt. Down 4 bolts and sensor. Line up wheel with final gear, slide axle through, dont forget crush tube and swingarm spacer. Tq down, bolt down acorn nuts, put on chrome covers.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I pull my final drive hub to install and remove my rear wheel. To install ur wheel, pull ur final drive hub, remove chrome side covers, and remover your secondary drive. Its held on by 4 bolts and a sensor. Put your wheel in place, slide final drive hub in and place acorn nuts on only a few threads, leaving some wiggle room. Place u joint on propellar shaft, slide secondary drive on u joint and into place on motor. Bolt. Down 4 bolts and sensor. Line up wheel with final gear, slide axle through, dont forget crush tube and swingarm spacer. Tq down, bolt down acorn nuts, put on chrome covers.
thanx for all the help, im gonna need it as i dont want to screw these rims up.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i have a how-to on a pdf file for the 280 install. if you would like it, PM me your email address and i can send it over.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Send PDF Please.

Surgery About To Begin for the 280 with 10 inches - swap..... and only hours away....((-:

i have a how-to on a pdf file for the 280 install. if you would like it, PM me your email address and i can send it over.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts