M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At last, after having a Suzuki Touring Backrest, Billet Rack, Mounting hardware and Engine Case Guards on order since I bought the bike mid July, I picked them up yesterday and installed them.
The Backrest is tiltable and comfortable, and easy to fit.
The engine Case guards took about 90 mins to fit taking it easy and trying to read twice, do once!

Obliglitory photos below and on http://www.frappr.com/leodog

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: Installed Suzuki Bakrest, Rack & Engine Case Guards today

Great pictures and I luv the way it cam out. Question on the (backrest) hardware - Is it shinny chrome or dull chrome? Could you post a close up of it (side pc - rght or lft).

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to get some photos tonight in the garage but couldn't get a good image so will try again tomorrow. It is deep shiny chrome. Here is an image that shows it a bit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Excellent choise and style. :bigthumbsup: Yr time and effort paid off. :bigthumbsup: Thanks for the pics. I think I will try this. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
:bigthumbsup: Aw man, Thanks for posting these. This is two mods I've been considering, the engine guard looks awesome, I want to do this but also add the foot pegs so I can stretch out when I need to on long rides. The back rest looks great! I'm not sure about this mod for me although I like it. My wife rides her own bike mostly and hardly ever rides on the bike with me since getting her own, my 14 year old daughter hits me up for a ride but only occaisionally so I just don't know if it's worth it for rare occaisions, I'm still undecided on the back rest, but thanks to your pictures of the backrest on the best looking bike available (the silver one), I know now if I do decide to get one that it will look good thanks to your pictures.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
silveRRocket said:
:bigthumbsup: Aw man, Thanks for posting these. This is two mods I've been considering, the engine guard looks awesome, I want to do this but also add the foot pegs so I can stretch out when I need to on long rides. The back rest looks great! I'm not sure about this mod for me although I like it. My wife rides her own bike mostly and hardly ever rides on the bike with me since getting her own, my 14 year old daughter hits me up for a ride but only occaisionally so I just don't know if it's worth it for rare occaisions, I'm still undecided on the back rest, but thanks to your pictures of the backrest on the best looking bike available (the silver one), I know now if I do decide to get one that it will look good thanks to your pictures.
After seeing the post of the girl who blew off the back of the crotch rocket, it underlined another reason for the backrest! I get nervous carrying my girlfriend on the back as she had only been on the back of a bike once in her youth, and they crashed, so she is a nervous passenger!
She holds onto my belt and everytime I change gear I feel myself mentally checking if she is still there so nowI can ride and enjoy it instead of stressing if she will stay on!
Also I can now ride at normal speeds instead of taking it so easy it is embarrassing!
I am going to try and find some leather ( or similar) covers to put over the engine case guards to delflect some wind from around my legs as it is getting COLD around here now.

Rifle Windshield will be the next purchase and then once the snow flies ( white gold around here) and brings in the money I am looking at the Intake, exhaust, PC3, Air ride kit and putting on the 260 Metz I recently bought.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Look in some Harley catalogs for the leather wind guards for your case guards. You might find an exact fit. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Nice look Señor!

Did you have to take much stuff off to get the engine guards installed?

Thanks

jwebb

·
Registered
890 Posts
HelmenTown I was going to ask the same as jwebb, what did you have to do to get those on? I have a set that I haven't even started on ..and if I have to move the tank I may wait until I get it emptier...it's full now and we're going on a ride Sunday...(sucks I want to put on the guards)...

Yours look great...thanks for the pics

Devilish

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Everything looks really good bro.. Only issue I'd have is that the backrest wouldn't be compatible with my bungee buttons (which coupled with the brackets are a necessity for trailering IMO) and I also still haven't gotten by rear seat from the dealer.. so don't need a passenger backrest anyway 8)

Really good work, :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: and a :super: to ya!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To fit the Engine Guards you have to Take off the seat and the side covers and remove the Fuel Tank screw and lift the tank slightly and then slide it back about 4 inches.
The bodywork behind the steering stem is then removed and then the radiator surround has to be slide down below the bike and then out of the way. The bike needs to be upright and you need a scissor jack to support the engine when the footrest bolts are removed which I guess also are supporting the engine.

The left side ( when looking at the bike from the front) is easy, but the right side has a sleeve over a bolt which has a tightening sleeve which threads on the bolt. You need to hammer the bolt in all the way, I didn't realize this and mine sticks out about 3/4 inch works OK but only just clears the radiator surround when re-installed.
Now is a good time to check your radiator reservoir level while you can get to it easily!!

It is then a reverse procedure putting everything back together again.
Be careful with the radiator surround not to break off any of the tabs where it comes apart in the mid top section and also on the side panels which slot into tabs on the fuel tank.!!!
Total time was 2 hours but if done again could probably be whittled down to about 1hr 15.
Call me on my cell 1 530 545 3242 if you have any questions. I am on Pacific time...

G

·
I am considering a back rest for mine. I enjoy it when my wife rides with me. Is the Suzuki backrest mount easy to remove or is it on there permanently? Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts