M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed JSD - 3M on 2008 C109 a couple of days ago. Had a difficult time getting connectors loose. After that it was easy. Bike runs much better, no detonation, no high idle everything looks and sounds good. Bike still seems to be slower than my VTX 1800. Could this be that it is geared higher? 109 has 117 HP compared to VTX 107 (at the crank). Guys on VTX forum say quarter mile time on C109 is 12.6? VTX is supposed to be 12.2. Looks like rev limiter on 109 is higher than vtx. VTX is 5250. What is rev limiter on C109 set at? I like riding cruisers but still like quick take offs. Looking for changes I can make to get a few more HP here and there.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,044 Posts
The VTX feels like it has more torque in the lower rpms, which is probably why it feels faster. That long stroke builds torque at a lower rpm than your short stroke does. A stock VTX won't run 12.2's though. it's more like 12.7's with a good rider on it. The M109R runs in the low 12's stock.

I'm assuming the rev limiter on the C109 is the same as the M109, which is 7500 rpm. But they put a heavier crank in it and that may drop it down a little.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense as it seems 109 needs some revs to get it going. 109 seems to have much better top end than vtx. One of the things that sold me on the 9 was the powerful engine. (and of course that big, fat tire)

·
Registered
913 Posts
The C109 and M109 are set up differently. The C109 is geared towards more cruising and touring and the M109 is set up to be more sporty. The torque band on the C109 is different as well as the HP numbers. The C109 does not produce as much HP as the M109. If you test ride a M109, you will notice night and day difference between the two, even though they both have the same size motors.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rode a friends M109 a couple of years ago and it did seem to have more giddiup as I remember. I figure with a few mods I can get a little more out of the C. Looking for good pipes that don't sacrifice performance. Looks like choices are Cobra or DG/Hard Krome. Down the road will look at intakes and fuel manager. As is it scratches the tire pretty good on take off so that should keep me happy for a while.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I do believe I read that the cams are diffferent. The c cams are more low and mid range for torque and smoothness. Maybe a cam swap to M cams. Also and I am not sure here but are the throttle bodies the same diameter? Engine Gurus can drop in here anytime. I know Kenny says the shop that did his will gladly bump the C motors up to the specs like Kenny has on his. 122 tq and 146 hp. That oughta whomp a VTX anyday.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I do believe I read that the cams are diffferent. The c cams are more low and mid range for torque and smoothness. Maybe a cam swap to M cams. Also and I am not sure here but are the throttle bodies the same diameter? Engine Gurus can drop in here anytime. I know Kenny says the shop that did his will gladly bump the C motors up to the specs like Kenny has on his. 122 tq and 146 hp. That oughta whomp a VTX anyday.
:agree: there are some mechanical differences between the M and the C. You can always change the exhaust and air intakes, then use a fuel adaptive commander to squeeze the juice out of it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, JSD-3 makes bike run much better in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts