M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Have you had this problem after installing Kuryakyn grips. I had learned to control the throttle pretty well with the old grips, now it's like I never rode the bike before. The grips a much larger that the stock and I guess I'm trying to control the throttle with the inputs of the stock which is way too much for the new grips. I just wanted to know has anyone had this problem?

C-One

·
Registered
96 Posts
With the new grip being larger in diameter than the stock, you should find you need to put more twist in your wrist to gain the same acceleration. But be it as it may, having a larger grip will absolutely feel different after using your smaller stock grip. I would think a larger grip feels a little more comfortable?

EFE M109

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EFE M109,

The new grips feel fine, I no longer have the numbness in my thumbs. They are bigger and you're right you don't need the same throttle inputs. I'll eventually get use to the throttle again, I was making a left handed u turn on a major highway and the bike started jerking; wasn't a pretty sight. I managed to get it under control and it was fine after that, but it was unnerving with traffic coming.

C-One

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Heck, Just plant the left foot down and hit the gas!! ;) The rear will come around for you, don't be gun shy :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Don

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cormierone said:
EFE M109,

The new grips feel fine, I no longer have the numbness in my thumbs. They are bigger and you're right you don't need the same throttle inputs. I'll eventually get use to the throttle again, I was making a left handed u turn on a major highway and the bike started jerking; wasn't a pretty sight. I managed to get it under control and it was fine after that, but it was unnerving with traffic coming.

C-One
It sounds like you were lugging the engine or your throttle hand wasn't smooth and stable when you took off.

One thing I'm noticing after installing the JSD 3M, the advance timing in first gear seems to give the engine a little smoother take off, where without it - it seemed to lug a little more. As I stated on another thread, I really don't feel more power but I definitely feel the engine smoother in all gears. The one thing I notice about the throttle on this bike is its touchy response because of the torque of the engine. I think a larger diameter throttle grip would help to calm it down a little, I may try wrapping something thick around the stock grip just to see if the throttle isn't as touchy.

This bike is a blast to ride and I love shifting and feeling the torque of the engine, it's wonderful!

((( :

EFE M109

1 - 5 of 5 Posts