M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the diy after I installed them, I didn't put any grease. Is this going to be a major problem??

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was always taught metal-on-metal was always a bad idea. Not only will it squeak, but it may grind itself to bits. Its a 30 minute job apparently, so why not do it right the first time, just remove, add liberal amounts of good quality grease and then enjoy knowing it is done right...

·
Registered
838 Posts
I was always taught metal-on-metal was always a bad idea. Not only will it squeak, but it may grind itself to bits. Its a 30 minute job apparently, so why not do it right the first time, just remove, add liberal amounts of good quality grease and then enjoy knowing it is done right...
:agree: Make the time and take the bones off. Put a goop of grease in the holes and reinstall. Rather take the time of doing that than dealing with a potential squeaking or worse issue.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I read the diy after I installed them, I didn't put any grease. Is this going to be a major problem??
Those roller bearing NEED the grease, badly. They will grind to dust if you do not liberally apply grease.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
If you're careful you can do it without removing them completely. Unbolt the bottom on each side and remove the bolt, then grease and reinstall. Do one side first then the other, that way the one still on maintains the distance. You can just apply grease to the bolt and swab the inside on the bones with a q-tip with grease on it.

The top will be a little harder as you need to remove the bolt completely to get the one side off. That means holding the bike up while it's being removed. If you can find a bolt the same size as the one being removed, you could insert it in to hold the outside bone in place while it's being removed from the other side.

·
Registered
237 Posts
the holes are tight cant see what a little grease is going to do

if they were meant too have bearings then why didnt they come with them!

and how many times do u regrease!every year or 2,3,4!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went back in to grease them, got all the nuts off but for some reason than :edit: bolts won't slide out now.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Went back in to grease them, got all the nuts off but for some reason than :edit: bolts won't slide out now.
Remember to take some pressure off those bolts by putting a piece of wood under the tire and lowering the bike slightly onto it to take some pressure off those bolts by raising the rear wheel..

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Remember to take some pressure off those bolts by putting a piece of wood under the tire and lowering the bike slightly onto it to take some pressure off those bolts by raising the rear wheel..
Tried that a bunch of times. Hopefully will have better luck tomorrow.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
Even with grease on them mine don't slide out that easily. The short ones aren't bad, but the long one that goes through all of them can be tight.

Remove the lower bolts first then take the top one out. I usually back the nut off so it's flush with the end of the bolt then tap it out as far as it will go with a hammer. From there I've had to use a steel bar to punch it the rest of the way out.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Even with grease on them mine don't slide out that easily. The short ones aren't bad, but the long one that goes through all of them can be tight.

Remove the lower bolts first then take the top one out. I usually back the nut off so it's flush with the end of the bolt then tap it out as far as it will go with a hammer. From there I've had to use a steel bar to punch it the rest of the way out.

If I remember right I did mine the same way. PIA but damn! Well worth it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well got the bolt out that goes to the spring over shock, couldn't get the really long one at top so I took the bolt that holds that pivoting arm out and pulled the whole assembly out and was able to take out the long one with it off the bike. Greased everything up and reassembled. It's actually s very easy job if the damn bolts come out easy..but the metal sleeves in the old bones don't fit in the new ones.. Oh well. As log as it's done and I know that i now have everything greased up.. Thanks guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts