M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Print version http://www.m109riders.com/howto/fi2000r/

This might help some of you with the installation of your new Cobra FI2000R fuel pot for the Suzuki M109R :bigthumbsup: The instructions are pretty good from Cobra but I added a few things and the pictures should be a big help in you've never done something like this. :eek:

1. Remove your seat and side covers so that you can get the tank off. You could leave the side covers on but it's just a lot easier with them off.

2. Remove the one bolt that holds the dash down and slide it forward off of the pins and move it out of the way so you can pop the tank off.

3. Remove the rear tank bolt (12mm) and lift the back of the tank up high enough to disconnect the fuel gage connector and the fuel line.
This is where it would be nice to have a helping hand to hold the tank up while you unplug the brown connector and the quick coupler for the fuel. The brown connector came off real easy but the fuel connector was a real pain for me. :realmad:
You need to push on the two blue tabs on the connector and then pull back. You're going to loose a little fuel so put a rag down and it's a good idea to have a tank that it pretty low on fuel before you try this. That tank can get pretty heavy. ::)
Now that you have those off just slide the tank back and lift it off of the rubber stops and set it out of the way somewhere.

4. Remove the airbox on both sides of the bike. There are two bolts that hold these on and a pin so once you get those bolts loose you can pull it out a bit and pull off the crankcase breather on the back side. You may or may not have to loosen the the top boot to take off the housing, I didn't on mine but they tell you to do that.

5. Remove the intake boot on both sides. Now I guess you could leave the boot hooked up to the airbox and just disconnect the boot from the main box but it worked out better for me to just remove the boots after the airbox was off.

6. Now you have a clear shot at the fuel injectors. This is where the pictures are going to help because if you don't know what you're looking at you could pull the wrong connectors off, not that I would ever do anything like that. :redfaced:
Unplug the right side fuel injector connector and plug in the longer lead off of your FI2000. Plug the stock connector into the black connector on your FI2000. Tuck that out of the way and do the same thing on the left side with the shorter lead. 8)

7. Route the main unit back to the battery box and connect the black wire to the ground lead on the battery. Now you can ziptie the cable to the main harness and start putting everything back together. Start by putting the boots back on and the airboxs.
Reinstall the tank and side covers.

8. Remove the door on the FI2000 to expose the LED lights. Verify that you did everything right by turning the ignition on while watching the three LED lights. If you did your job right they will all light up for a few seconds and then go off. :bigthumbsup:
If it don't light up like a Christmas tree then check to make sure the kickstand is up, the kill switch is on and you have the clutch lever pulled in. If it still don't work then you need to make sure all your connections are good. ::)

The rest is tuning so refer to the instructions for that. Hope this helps. 8)

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
J R said:
Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou :bigthumbsup: This came in real handy today :bigthumbsup: Now any tips on how you set yours ????
I thought it might. 8) Right now my is set at the stock settings. I'll wait to I hit the dyno to try and tune it.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Lamonster said:
I thought it might. 8) Right now my is set at the stock settings. I'll wait to I hit the dyno to try and tune it.
Lamont:
In you instructions you mention "having some helping hands to hold the tank".....I recall a similar situation with the gas tank on the VTX. Someone recommended a short piece of 3/4" PVC plastic pipe 6 to 8 inches long and notched on both ends. When you lift the tank re-insert the tank bolt into the tank and place the plastic pipe between the tank bolt and frame. You then can use both your hands to remove the electrical connection and quick release fuel line. Just a thought to make the operation a one man job.

·
Registered
112 Posts
ORDERED MINE ON WEDNESDAY SHOULD GET NEXT WEEK. WILL BE USING THESE DIRECTION FOR SURE. THANX SHOULD HELP OUT TREMENDOUSLY. :bigthumbsup: :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great tutorial! The only adjustments that I would point out are that;
i used a standard balsa wood shim to 'prop'/hold the tank while I disconnected the speedo and fuel line
the picture calls out a fuel quick disconnect and the disconnet that i used was under the tank, not on the bike. Don't know which is correct, but disconnect from the tank worked very well with minimal spillage.

Lamonster, we all owe you!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone,
I just installed my FI2000 and took the bike out on a test run. I'm happy to report that
the tunner made a noticeable improvement in the performance. Off the line it is both quicker and smoother.

Their is one thing I should mention, although i am running stock pipes i had drilled them.
I used a 1/2" drill bit that was 12 inches long and drilled 4 holes in each pipe right around
the exhaust opening. That by itself smooth out the bikes performance. The tunner than
boosted that performance. I'm also thankfull for this sight because I could not have
installed my tunner with out it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cobra FI 2000 install

Installed mine today. it lit up like a Christmas tree but the bike has problems starting now and staying running and the FI light stays on. I have a big air kit and am at an altitude of 6000 feet. It is on the default setting of 1-3-2. Any ideas of what is going on with this?

Mike

·
Registered
228 Posts
After using this thread to install my FI2000R, I was wondering if I put the controller in the best position, or not. Does anybody have pics of where they mounted theirs? I would hate for mine to end up getting broken, or wet. PLEASE help!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
After using this thread to install my FI2000R, I was wondering if I put the controller in the best position, or not. Does anybody have pics of where they mounted theirs? I would hate for mine to end up getting broken, or wet. PLEASE help!
I stuck mine under the seat in the tool compartment slot along with the toolbag. I believe the casing on the FI2000R is waterproof.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
There was a thread on how to do it with out pulling the air box. I will see if I can find it.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,870 Posts
I stuck mine under the seat in the tool compartment slot along with the toolbag. I believe the casing on the FI2000R is waterproof.
It is waterproof, or at least really water resistant. I've got mine in front of the battery box standing upright on the left side so I can pull it out and adjust it easily, and I've had it in rains so hard that there was water running out of the battery box. It never missed a beat.

There was a thread on how to do it with out pulling the air box. I will see if I can find it.
I installed mine without pulling the air box. I pulled the intake tubes off to get better access.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I used the same instructions for the install of a TFI Fuel Injection Module I got from DLP. Instructions worked just as well for this as a Cobra F1200R.

BTW, why does DLP have their Cobra units stashed in the "Performance" category, instead of "Fuel Management"? I would have bought the Cobra if I had known it was a performance part, and not just a fuel management! Just being sarcastic there, I know it does nothing different than the TFI unit. Matter-of-fact, the TFI unit is performing well so far.

So, Six-of-one, half-dozen-of-the-other applies here.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks Man ! I was getting mad then I remembered you had this on here! After reading your how to I did it in No time at all ! :bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I didn't pull my airbox. It did however take a pair of 12" angled needle nose pliers to get at the one. My fat fingers hindered me on that one.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I didn't pull my airbox. It did however take a pair of 12" angled needle nose pliers to get at the one. My fat fingers hindered me on that one.
That is EXACTLY how I do all of the ones I do. Spring loaded 12" needle nose and it is usually a piece of cake. I did Mary's, start to finish in 10 minutes. Some have taken me about 1/2 hour. The last one, I helped (Big-B) do his. The plug part on the bike was turned and we couldn't tell. Instead of risking damaging it, we pulled the air box and that is when he noticed it was just turned. We were like :doh:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts