M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, very simple mod with very simple pictures.

Disclaimer: This is my first attempt to post photos like this so please excuse my inexperience.

I chose to mount the transmitter inside the headlight housing on the backing plate. I used a couple of Velcro strips (could have been double sided tape, Velcro is what I had on hand) to attach it to the backing plate.

Next mounted the transmitter via the Velcro tabs.

Next wired the transmitter (via the provided wire taps) to the high beam leads of the headlight.

Last, mounted and wired the receiver to the Garage Door Opener. I chose to mount mine center and above my garage door for no other reason than I wanted to get placement as close to the exterior of the garage as possible. It apparently has a strong transmitter/receiver as I was out today on the opposite side of the house (about 200 feet away) and opened the garage door.

The receiver could have easily been mounted immediately adjacent to the Garage door opener thus there would have been no need to run any long length of wire.

Note that the receiver has a button on it so it can act as a second garage door opener button if you chose to use it that way.

Thats it, no riping open any key remote openers, soldering wires, drilling holes, mounting remote buttons or any of that. Best of all, when installed your hands never have to leave the handle bars to open the garage door. Just two quick clicks of the Flash-to-Pass button and your in. Like I said before, it may have cost a few bucks more but for the time and simplicity of it, I believe it is well worth it. You can find it at http://www.clickawayremotes.com/Flash-2-Pass-garage-door-opener/M/B000BVVDL8.htm if your interested.

Ride on!

Rick

·
Registered
280 Posts
I installed mine today and it works great if I'm sitting in the garage :bigthumbsup: but I rode my bike right up to the door when the door was closed and no dice! :dontknow: My reciever is mounted in tandem with my original opener so I think I'll try over the door itself and see how that works. :pray:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Installed over door now and at least I can open the door from outside but I still have to be no more than 10 feet from the garage door. Any ideas on how to increase the range on this thing, it's a really neat gadget but it blows to have to be so close to the door to make it work! :dontknow: Do they make an amplifier or something?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
F OPEC said:
Installed over door now and at least I can open the door from outside but I still have to be no more than 10 feet from the garage door. Any ideas on how to increase the range on this thing, it's a really neat gadget but it blows to have to be so close to the door to make it work! :dontknow: Do they make an amplifier or something?
F OPEC,

Sounds like there is something wrong with your receiver or your transmitter. I can open my door from two houses up the street. You say yours is running in tandem with your existing door opener, did you wire it direct to the existing button or did you wire the receiver directly to the garage door opener? Where did you mount your transmitter on your bike?

It should do much better than that, call the vendor.

Ride on!

Rick

·
Registered
166 Posts
thats cool as the other side of the pillow. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
280 Posts
At first I wired it to the button but now I have rewired it to the opener itself and have it mounted on the wall above the garage door itself. It is working good enough to open the door but not even from the end of the driveway much less two houses away. The reciever is mounted on the wall facing in, maybe I could mount it above the opener on the angle iron facing out but it would be farther away from the door if I did.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like signal reception improved when you moved it or at least it started working somewhat better. Just curious, how long is your drive way or how far away are you from the unit when you are at the end of the drive way? One other consideration if you are trying to get more range would be to move the receiver to an outer wall, one on the front side of the house. This would require more work and wire but it might help, certainly won't hurt. I don't know the voltage on the wire but I suspect it might be similar to that of a door bell so I wouldn't think there would be any significant voltage drop on the wire to affect it. Sorry you are having problems with it especially since I gave it such high review.

Ride on!

Rick

·
Registered
280 Posts
I moved it again, this time I went even higher above the door and I can now get it to open from the end of the driveway which is about three car lengths away from the reciever. I'd love more range but this will work and come to think about it I don't think my garage door opener in my truck works from any farther away either so maybe this is as good as it gets. It is a great opener for a bike though, no external buttons to muck up the bike, very slick :bigthumbsup: Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
garage door installation scottsdale

I moved it again, this time I went even higher above the door and I can now get it to open from the end of the driveway which is about three car lengths away from the reciever. I'd love more range but this will work and come to think about it I don't think my garage door opener in my truck works from any farther away either so maybe this is as good as it gets. It is a great opener for a bike though, no external buttons to muck up the bike, very slick :bigthumbsup: Thanks for the help!
garage doors installation scottsdale

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought one o these a couple years ago and it only gave me grief. Going back and forth with the tech help and getting replacement parts didn't help so I just took a loss on it. Maybe it's the opener that you have, what kind are you running?

Sent from Too Tough's iPhone...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts