M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stumped here...got rims from performance machine and its 1am and have a few questions...

:dontknow:eek:n the front & rear rims bearings r in but there is no rubber washer that goes over it,& tried 2 take off factory rim but is on REALLY tight,do i have 2 buy new 1s &do they have 2 b pressed in???
:dontknow::dontknow:the guts of the rear rim(gear)got the 4 bolts off is there a tool or something 2 pull out,or will WD40 n muscle work???
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:do i have 2 go 2 dealer 2 press in washer & rear hub guts???
thanks guys...i'll b waitin 4 any help:pop:
brad

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
stumped here...got rims from performance machine and its 1am and have a few questions...

:dontknow:eek:n the front & rear rims bearings r in but there is no rubber washer that goes over it,& tried 2 take off factory rim but is on REALLY tight,do i have 2 buy new 1s &do they have 2 b pressed in???

Do you mean the seals?
:dontknow::dontknow:the guts of the rear rim(gear)got the 4 bolts off is there a tool or something 2 pull out,or will WD40 n muscle work???

You just have to work it out, little by little. Are the cush bushings in the new rim?
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:do i have 2 go 2 dealer 2 press in washer & rear hub guts???

Only if you do not know what you are doing.

brad
Invest in a service manual to if you plan on working on your bike. See notes in Red.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Invest in a service manual to if you plan on working on your bike. See notes in Red.
:agree:didnt think u needed a manual 2 change rims out...i was wrong:confused:
yeah seals do i need 2 buy new 1s...rims just came wit bearings already in thought it was r&r wit the exception of the rotors&the gear...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

The dust seals are rather thin and fit in rather snugly. It is possible to get them out without bending them, but I only managed to do it with one of the 3.

Buy new ones. I think they were $7. They go in much easier than they come out.
I will assume you mean the cush-drive. They have a few names, but basically they are a huge rubber washer with a metal sleeve though them.

Lay the wheel flat and generously fill the holes with dawn.

Take a screwdriver and stick it all the way in.

Pull hard in one direction. You will gap the rubber away from the edge of the hole enough for the soap to work in there. Now another direction and another.

Once the soap is worked around, you will see the whole thing start to work itself up as you pull.

This took me 20 minutes to figure out on the first one and I had the rest out in under 5 minutes.

brad
Again, they are much easier to put in.

Take a short screwdriver, shorter than the metal sleeve, and stick it in the sleeve. with the soap already on the bushing and the screw driver for leverage, work it in straight until you can not go any farther and keep it straight. That start will let you finish by using a hammer on the screwdriver handle.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
yeah, you should get new seals. i think there is only one on the rear and its on the rotor side.:congrats:eek:n the new wheels.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dust seals are rather thin and fit in rather snugly. It is possible to get them out without bending them, but I only managed to do it with one of the 3.

Buy new ones. I think they were $7. They go in much easier than they come out.

I will assume you mean the cush-drive. They have a few names, but basically they are a huge rubber washer with a metal sleeve though them.

Lay the wheel flat and generously fill the holes with dawn.

Take a screwdriver and stick it all the way in.

Pull hard in one direction. You will gap the rubber away from the edge of the hole enough for the soap to work in there. Now another direction and another.

Once the soap is worked around, you will see the whole thing start to work itself up as you pull.

This took me 20 minutes to figure out on the first one and I had the rest out in under 5 minutes.

Again, they are much easier to put in.

Take a short screwdriver, shorter than the metal sleeve, and stick it in the sleeve. with the soap already on the bushing and the screw driver for leverage, work it in straight until you can not go any farther and keep it straight. That start will let you finish by using a hammer on the screwdriver handle.
thank u:bow:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Take pictures and post a how-to on it.

I was shocked at how little I could find on the subject when I was in need of the information.

I just tried what seemed like it should work and it did.

So, return the favor by posting the instructions with some pictures.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I was shocked at how little I could find on the subject when I was in need of the information.

:bigthumbsup:will do

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
If you toss the cushdrive bushings in the freezer for an hour or two they drop right in. Firming them up keeps them from flaring as you put pressure on them.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I was able to get my dust seals out and re-use them no problem. The cush bushings were a pain but I used wd-40 and it worked like a charm. Put the screwdriver in the metal hole in the middle of the bearing and work it back and forth while spraying wd-40 down the sides...it takes some work but you can get them to pop out if you keep repeating the process. Getting them back in...well that's a different story. Make sure they are seated properly in your new rims and they all are even and in all the way. A small block of wood, wd-40, and a rubber mallet is how I did mine...good luck!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
If you toss the cushdrive bushings in the freezer for an hour or two they drop right in. Firming them up keeps them from flaring as you put pressure on them.
Great idea Zoom! I didn't know that when I did mine and it was a little tricky....

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was able to get my dust seals out and re-use them no problem. The cush bearings were a pain but I used wd-40 and it worked like a charm. Put the screwdriver in the metal hole in the middle of the bearing and work it back and forth while spraying wd-40 down the sides...it takes some work but you can get them to pop out if you keep repeating the process. Getting them back in...well that's a different story. Make sure they are seated properly in your new rims and they all are even and in all the way. A small block of wood, wd-40, and a rubber mallet is how I did mine...good luck!
how did u get em out???suzuki only had 2 so i 1 n3 chance 2 get 1 out...already hit wit WD-40...workin on crush drive now a pain in the :edit:...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

new i saw it somewhere...i thought gear n crushdrive came out in 1 piece once saw vid still did soap&water came right up...i have 2 c it done then i can do it...most of the time:D

Guess you got them out! Those look great!!! Congrats..
yeah easy once saw lamonster vid...also help buddy came over WS109...thanks

·
Registered
643 Posts
What are you doing with your stock rims? Those Performance Machine's look sweet. I was going to get some, but I am gonna get a snowmobile instead.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts