M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem that recently started with increased RPMs when I start the bike. The RPMs will increase to ~3,000 for a few seconds then return to normal (900 to 1,000). This only happens when I start the bike, and doesn’t happen all the time. The bike has 28,000 miles.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yep !

I have that same problem but it is intermittant, it doesn't happen all of the time. I think it actually started when I installed the JSD.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
JSD... Wait till your riding and it revs up....Has happened to me twice now. Have to pull the clutch, stop and restart it a few times to get it to run normal. That's why I want to switch to the Gipro so bad and have quit recommending these models.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have that same problem but it is intermittant, it doesn't happen all of the time. I think it actually started when I installed the JSD.
No JSD. Maybe fuel filter, or possibly throttle cables?? Looking for gearhead input.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,940 Posts
Are you waiting for it to complete it's boot up sequence before starting? You need to wait until the speedometer and tach have made their full sweep before starting. They don't matter, but the STV actuator, or Secondary Throttle Valve, is also calibrating itself during this time. If it doesn't have time to calibrate it doesn't know where to set the idle.

If it's not that, it could be the idle speed control valve is sticking. It's a valve on top of the undertank air box that controls the idle speed by letting in more air.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you waiting for it to complete it's boot up sequence before starting? You need to wait until the speedometer and tach have made their full sweep before starting. They don't matter, but the STV actuator, or Secondary Throttle Valve, is also calibrating itself during this time. If it doesn't have time to calibrate it doesn't know where to set the idle.

If it's not that, it could be the idle speed control valve is sticking. It's a valve on top of the undertank air box that controls the idle speed by letting in more air.
I usually let it go through its boot sequence before starting.

If it's the idle speed control valve how would I correct the problem.

Thanks for responding.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,940 Posts
I usually let it go through its boot sequence before starting.

If it's the idle speed control valve how would I correct the problem.

Thanks for responding.
whitee, that's one item I've never seen mentioned failing on here. On cars/trucks you can remove them and spray some carburetor cleaner through them, but that's to clean the carbon out of them. Cars and trucks have them mounted on the intake and fuel vapors get back into them. Since ours are mounted on the air box I don't think they would get that dirty.

Do you have a service manual? It shows on page 5-70 how to check them. In the case of high idle it shows a open or short circuit could be possible, or one of the ISC hoses could be loose or off. There's no process shown to clean them, it's basically a replace if broken thing.

I've also seen them on ebay pretty cheap since it's not something that is needed a lot. And jn109r sells a lot of parts and may have one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts