M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how many of you are familiar with the Impact Jacket (http://www.impactjackets.com/, here's a video of one being deployed...ended up buying it.

Quick synopsis: You're tethered to the bike. Should and when you are dismounted from the bike, the cable deploys a 38 gram CO2 cartridge which then fills a bladder covering right and left front, lower ribs area, back and collar pops out protection for the neck/head.

The jacket has padded support in the arms and shoulders. Easily converts into a vest. Zippered vents in both breasts and upper arm provide great relief in Washington DC region summer months. There are 4 slotted pockets (2 in the chest and 2 in the back) for future use with battery operated warmers or frozen gel packs (intended to keep you cool for up to 6 hours).

·
Registered
572 Posts
Looks cool, but don't like having to bring it back to a dealer each time it is deployed...

Guess in normal situations though, you would never deploy it...

What about abrasion from a fall... is the material strong enough to protect the rider... sliding and wearing through the material, could easily pop that airbag stuff...

·
Registered
484 Posts
I guess if you use it once... it's paid for itself...  very cool!

Thanks for posting... I had not seen this.

I see the list for $595... did they hit you for that?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had it deployed by accident; forgot I was attached to the bike and once I lifted the right leg to get off, exerted enough pull to deploy it. Simply replaced the CO2 (~$22); had 2 spares.

I agree wholeheartedly on airbag material not withstanding roadrash. I assume the intent is for that first impact, by the second and third bounce, I would imagine the material would close to its threshold for puncture...but hopefully velocity would have reduced enough to minimize serious injuries.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hey Slivr, did you pick that jacket up at Heyser Cycles up in Laurel? Do you feel that it will deploy quickly enough to actually make a real difference in a crash? I'm also curious as to what it cost.

LG

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Reminds me of that commercial where the dude falls off the billboard he's working on and turns into a giant airbag on the way to the ground.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
sledzep01 said:
Seems way too slow in the video. Great idea, I hope they sell enough to make it better/faster.

Sledzep
It does seem slow in the video, but if you look, it's almost completely inflated by the time the guy falls from the horse and hits the ground. In most motorcycle crashes, there will be some "air time" as you soar before hitting terra firma. This should give ample time to inflate completely.

As for the other concern of having to take it back to the dealer to repack... They showed the video for you to do it. They just stuck that warning telling you not to do it to release them from liability if you screw it up. Besides, it's no different than a reserve chute in skydiving. It's there if you need it, and if you ever deploy it, it has to be packed by a master rigger before you can use it again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the late reply.

I worked it down to $400 even. The dealer is local in Maryland; they were showcasing at Heyser Cycles in Laurel during the dealership's crazy sale weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.