M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:edit:

Tried to be gentle and slow but I friggin broke one off in the head!! dammit

Tried vise grips but im afraid this might get ugly....er...

·
Registered
123 Posts
some heat may help loosen it up and/or a dremmel to slightly cut the remaining stud sides to fit a wrench or give more bite with the vice grips

by the looks of the broken bolt it appears you may have had an exhaust leak that contributed to your problem.

·
Registered
353 Posts
:edit:

Tried to be gentle and slow but I friggin broke one off in the head!! dammit

Tried vise grips but im afraid this might get ugly....er...
Go get an easy out should do the trick, You drill a pilot hole center of the shank, then you just screw the easy out into the hole and when it gets tight you just unscrew the whole thing.

JJ

·
Registered
913 Posts
Damn Clint, I'm normally the stripping and breaking bolts. Since you do have a little to work with, I would heat it up a little and then try attaching vise grips to it. If not, pull out the extractor

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey man I had a spark plug break off. All though mine was not to bad, because when it broke all the ceramic came out with it, so there was all ready a hole in the middle and the easy out worked perfectly. With it being so easy, I am not offering any advice, just commiserating.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Hope you got it out Clint...tell you a trick when you reassemble. Make sure the treads are clean....add some anti-seize to the new bolts...thread them in by hand as far as you can to make sure they don't cross-thread....have the appropriate extension and flex joint for that rear cylinder and don't over torque the new bolts. Wish I was there to help you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I always thought heat expanded metal...at least back when I worked as a machinist it did. If you measured metal when it was hot, it had a larger diameter than when cool. I would drill the pilot hole, soak it with penetrating oil for several hours then use an easy out...should come right out. Good luck!

G

·
I always thought heat expanded metal...at least back when I worked as a machinist it did. If you measured metal when it was hot, it had a larger diameter than when cool. I would drill the pilot hole, soak it with penetrating oil for several hours then use an easy out...should come right out. Good luck!
True, but the aluminum expands much more that steel thus enlarging the hole. The hole actually expands outward when the whole area is heated, not inward as you might think.

·
Registered
140 Posts
skullster, im a mechanic and run into this stuff all the time. If there is enough sticking out to get a pair of vise grips onthe broken bolt then heating the flange and trying to remove the bolt is your best bet. Trust me you would be amazed at what a little heat would do. Concentrate the heat on the flange and not the bolt. Make sure to get it as hot as you can without melting it. As far as using a extractor kit most likely wont work unless you broke the bolt tightening it. Looks like the bolt broke coming out and this means the threads are siezed. You would probably end up just breaking your extractor unless you was able to soak it really good in penetrating oil. Another option is to find a drill bit that fits that size hole and just drill it all the way through. Then chase the threads. Not tring to sound like a know it all just tring to help a fellow rider. Good luck in the removal.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
True, but the aluminum expands much more that steel thus enlarging the hole. The hole actually expands outward when the whole area is heated, not inward as you might think.
Thanks for the info...I'll keep that in mind in case I ever run into this situation...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
While you have it hot, melt some parafin wax around the threads. Sometimes it will help in the extraction. Another thing to keep in mind when re-installing: don't use the bolts to pull the pipe in, you always want to seat the exhaust with a rubber mallet before tightening the bolts. Then do as Gramps said above. If you are a good welder, or know one welding a nut on the bolt is a very effective way to remove broken bolts. You benefit by getting something grippable and also you introduce the heat. It works better than any other way I have ever done. Of course you must be able to weld and you must be able to access it well enough to weld it. Good luck. Use the wax. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts