M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:clap2: I just wanted to say that :joke: But I did finally get my shipment I ordered Friday before last. 2" Cycle House bones.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
use plenty of lube & protection.

·
Registered
643 Posts
if your debaffled watch for burrs
:joke:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I still need feedback on lowering. Some guys have said the bike handles fine, lowered, but how aggressive were they riding beforehand? I scrape pegs on a regular basis, is lowering going to make it way worse? Anywho, post pics!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ordered Yanki 2 in yesterday!!!! Im gonna Bone mine too soon!!!!!!!!:drool::drool::drool:
Oh :congrats::congrats:!!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thought my bones would come in by monday so I took the bike apart on sunday only to find out they're on back order.:evil: Now I'm out of commision. FRUSTRATING:evil::evil::evil:

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I still need feedback on lowering. Some guys have said the bike handles fine, lowered, but how aggressive were they riding beforehand? I scrape pegs on a regular basis, is lowering going to make it way worse? Anywho, post pics!
A sportbike has greater clearance for starters. A stock 9 has less clearance and adding bones to lower it will decrease the clearance even further. You do the math.

It all depends on how aggressive you take the sharper corners. Sweepers are no problem. That being said, I like to think that I ride fairly aggressively and haven't had a problem, but I know to take it easy when turning corners at lights. This isn't a sportbike, so if you are trying to scrape knees on corners, you would find lowering is a problem.

·
Registered
392 Posts
A sportbike has greater clearance for starters. A stock 9 has less clearance and adding bones to lower it will decrease the clearance even further. You do the math.

It all depends on how aggressive you take the sharper corners. Sweepers are no problem. That being said, I like to think that I ride fairly aggressively and haven't had a problem, but I know to take it easy when turning corners at lights. This isn't a sportbike, so if you are trying to scrape knees on corners, you would find lowering is a problem.
Screw it, I'm just going to have to buy the air ride! :evil:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
The 9 is a cruiser!! fast one at that, I am lowered 2 " and am fine with how far I can take it on the twisties. I suppose if someone is concerned they wont be able to drag their knees on corners, then maybe a sport bike is more to their needs. I love my 9 and get all the thrills i need with the lowered stance. Just sayin.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm just curious how much lower it is at the pegs is all. Lowering the back end, it would kind of pivot from the front. Has anyone measured the difference. I love the look too, every time I look at pics of my bike all I can think is the ass needs to be lower!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am a very aggressive rider in the twisties. I find my self actually scooting off the side of the seat and leaning in as far as I can all the while dragging my pegs through the s curves at 40-50mph. But I decided that I bought the bike to be a badazz cruiser, and lowering the rear makes such a difference in the looks of the bike that I will sacrifice. It will just force me to ride a little safer, so in the end its prolly a good thing. I will definitly let you know what I think once they are on. Dont think I will be making any mountain runs anytime soon as its already getting into the 20's down here in the valley. Next tire change I am going 160 front, and with the added front clearance and better tracking Im thinking maybe it will get back to stock abilities. If I could afford air ride, I would definitly prefer to go that route. I will prolly angle my pegs up alittle bit to compensate as well. Unfortunately she wont get any action today, will have to be tomorrow (just saying that made my balls hurt :redfaced:)

·
Registered
392 Posts
HAHA, sounds good. Let me know how you make out. I'm still overseas for another month. After that I'll be logging some serious time in the garage modding (and boozing) away. Cheers!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Ordered Yanki 2 in yesterday!!!! Im gonna Bone mine too soon!!!!!!!!:drool::drool::drool:
Oh :congrats::congrats:!!!!
You're gonna ABSOLUTELY LOVE those!:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,084 Posts
I'm just curious how much lower it is at the pegs is all. Lowering the back end, it would kind of pivot from the front. Has anyone measured the difference. I love the look too, every time I look at pics of my bike all I can think is the ass needs to be lower!
2" at the rear is a little less than 3/4" at the pegs. It's easy to find out how much it drops at the pegs, just measure the wheel base then measure the distance from the front axle back to the pegs. Then divide the two. The pegs are about 1/3 of the way back, so they lower roughly 1/3 as much as you drop it.

And you can get most of it back or even a little more. The peg feelers take up about 5/8", so ditch those or get pegs that don't have them. Then you can shim the pegs up so they clear even more. Lift your pegs up and place a penny or two between the peg and base to hold it up. That will give you an idea of the difference it makes, and they are more comfortable when angled up a little. The angle matches your leg angle better.

The only thing that is hard to make up when lowering are pipes. Some of the ones that sit level when the bike is at standard height really droop at the rear when the bike is lowered. Any of the longer pipes like the Speedster Longs, Swepts, etc. drop quite a bit. But you can modify the mounting brackets a little and get some of that back on most of them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Finally got to bone her today, and :eek:...... man that ass is so tight now, usually its the other way around :bigthumbsup:. Took it for a quick cruise around the block and didnt feel a whole lot different, maybe a little lighter on the steering. I even whipped into my drive way really quick to see if my peg drug, and nothing. So far I'm very happy. I was too excited when I started installing and forgot to take before and after measurements. Sorry eastcoastblur. Ill go take an after measurement once I get of the throne ^-^.

Here some before and after pics. Not the best pics but they show they difference (notice where the axle nut is).

Before:

After:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts