M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First day on the new C109, Ok I'm the second owner but this sweetie only has 445 miles on her and 46 of them are all mine.

The power difference from my M95 is, well... WOW.

The bikes are completely different and when I was on one of my favorite roads I could tell that the 76lbs that the 109 has over the 95 takes a lot more muscle to steer. I guess this is a learning curve just like anything else but I don't think the wife will be riding the C109 anytime soon.

Has anyone changed to a stickier tire?
The reason I'm asking is I felt the bike was about to get away from me a couple of times in the turns and I wasn't pushing it that hard.

In the straights the C109 would without question walk away from my M95 (even with all 3 stages of power mods) but in the twisties I'm not so sure C109 would do as well. I've seen a lot of videos of the C109 scraping the pegs and that's what I'm looking to do, thanks.

·
Registered
729 Posts
:welcome:

I moved up to the C109 from an M50 and the difference in ride did take some getting use to. If you're not counter-steering in your turns already, doing so makes handling much easier. In slow speed, tight corners, shifting your weight off center helps to take the corner a little faster. I will say that the C109 was made for 2-up riding so you will love how it sits on the suspension with more weight. All in all, I can hardly tell the difference between 1-up and 2-up with regards to cornering, acceleration, etc. It just a lot smoother.

I don't know much about tires yet. I grind my boards all the time and have never felt like I was going to loose it with the stockers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
:congrats:
Have you checked your tire pressure? I run 40 psi front and rear. I have no problems scraping the floorboards in the corners. I have found that is I accelerate too much in the corner, she tries to stand back up. I don't think it is a sticky tire fix issue, but more the difference between a 240 and what your M95 had.
Get a TRE and really let the power loose in 1st-3rd gears. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
42 psi front and rear here and riding 2 up 95% of the time. Never had an issue with the rear end sliding out or losing traction.

She handles perfectly

·
Registered
415 Posts
The C109R will take a bit of getting use to, but I bet you M95 did as well on it's first days.

Regarding the tire, and without inticing a riot of opinions the Bridgestone radials on the bike in it's stock format are the best tire around and has great traction. The issue with the C109R is that is has tons of torque and it is very easy to lose the rear end when you grab throttle.

I know of other rider on other torquey bikes moving to this specific Bridestone tire because it is so good for pushing hard and stay connected to the road. (Remember the aforementioned are only my observances and opinions, others may vary on this subject).

One trick on the C is to feather the clutch on the slow speed tight corners so you don't jerk yourself into the back seat or over the windscreen/headlight. Add a TRE and it makes the low rpm in first three gears jerkiness even more pronounced, but the added power is well worth it!

I have had mine over 2 yrs and 18,000+ miles. Wouldn't be without her, she a dream!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
:congrats:
Have you checked your tire pressure? I run 40 psi front and rear. I have no problems scraping the floorboards in the corners. I have found that is I accelerate too much in the corner, she tries to stand back up. I don't think it is a sticky tire fix issue, but more the difference between a 240 and what your M95 had.
Get a TRE and really let the power loose in 1st-3rd gears. :bigthumbsup:
The C109R will take a bit of getting use to, but I bet you M95 did as well on it's first days.

Regarding the tire, and without inticing a riot of opinions the Bridgestone radials on the bike in it's stock format are the best tire around and has great traction. The issue with the C109R is that is has tons of torque and it is very easy to lose the rear end when you grab throttle.

I know of other rider on other torquey bikes moving to this specific Bridestone tire because it is so good for pushing hard and stay connected to the road. (Remember the aforementioned are only my observances and opinions, others may vary on this subject).

One trick on the C is to feather the clutch on the slow speed tight corners so you don't jerk yourself into the back seat or over the windscreen/headlight. Add a TRE and it makes the low rpm in first three gears jerkiness even more pronounced, but the added power is well worth it!

I have had mine over 2 yrs and 18,000+ miles. Wouldn't be without her, she a dream!
Thanks to all!
The tires on the bike are at 39 front and 40 rear. My wife rides the C50 and she loves the bike but it's time is coming to a end and she will have to move up to the M95.

Gman, if I can from time to time I wouild like to be able to pick your brain. I'm going to be adding the big 3 to my bike over the winter and rumor has it you are the man to see.
So my first question is if you had a "out of the box C109" what would be the first things you would do? Lets say you have a 1500.00 spending money.

Thanks

·
Registered
643 Posts
I guess the answer to this would vary on what you want. Do you have a C/R or a C/RT? do you need storage? more comfortable seat? need to stretch your legs out on the highway? or are you strictly speaking performance wise?

Thanks to all!
The tires on the bike are at 39 front and 40 rear. My wife rides the C50 and she loves the bike but it's time is coming to a end and she will have to move up to the M95.

Gman, if I can from time to time I wouild like to be able to pick your brain. I'm going to be adding the big 3 to my bkie over the winter and rumor has it you are the man to see.
So my first question is if you had a "out of the box C109" what would be the first things you would do? Lets say you have a 1500.00 spending money.

Thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well bigggjack, I guess that was a open ended question now wasn't it. Duh.

Let say 1,000 for performance and 500 on comfort. not much of a start but it all I've currently have.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Thanks
This may not be the answer you wanted and I know what it's like to be excited with a new bike, money to spend on mods, but the first thing I'd do is ride it.

Get used to how it feels, especially on longer trips. IMO, it's a fast bike, one of the fastest touring cruisers on the market so spending thousands on performance mods to add 2% increase in HP would be the last thing I'd do, especially when you're coming from a smaller bike.

Only YOU can tell YOU what you need to customize on YOUR bike and you won't know that until you log some miles. Throwing $500++ for a new seat may end up being a waste if you're comfortable on the stock one.
I agree 120% with GMan, that the stock tires are excellent as they are and I'm currently on my 5th set.

I've had the C for just over two years, logged over 43,000 miles and aside from the TRE, and GMan's risers (I'm 6' and was getting pains between my shoulders on long rides) have never found a need to add any additional mods.

I ride her and ride her hard and spend my $$ on fuel and accommodations while touring with my wife and our friends.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had the C109 for 3 years. Have 11,000 miles. Usually ride just on week-ends with a few long trips over the years. Used to ride the Intruder 1400 w/o windshield. Wouldn't go w/o a windshield now. Especially on the longer trips. The wind pressing against you will wear you out. Or at least wear me out.

I agree with Don. I have only added windshield and bags with engine guards added just in case. That's it. Very happy with what I have.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Some people are power junkies, some are comfort junkies and some are "O" this is too cool junkies. Me well I'm a MOD junkie, I have to admit I enjoy turning a wrench.

I've been drag racing since I was 16 and still do today. I'm first and formost a "Power Junkie" I've modded everything here at my house even the lawn tractor:D

Second I'm a comfort junkie, and I've never sat on a seat by Suzi, Kawi or Yami that was worth more then an hour to two at best.

Being Cool is Ok but it's last on my list, If it was first I would've already had a Busa or M9.

I guess some would leave well enough alone but I'm sure there are others out there just like me:bigthumbsup:

I was just wondering if you could go back and do something different at first would it be?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well I can tell you if I had your bike and money I would go with 3" hard krome's, bully controller,an ATRE, and a wind sheild ( maybe memphis fats ) . and a set of bags later. Just my 2 cents worth bossman! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
415 Posts
.....Gman, if I can from time to time I wouild like to be able to pick your brain. I'm going to be adding the big 3 to my bike over the winter and rumor has it you are the man to see.

Thanks
Pick away, there's something left last time I looked!!!! LOL

I would start with the simplest first and add a TRE. Ride and get use to the added power in gears 1 thru 3. Then grab the Bully Stealth Package and install it. Bully will give you the best flexability for adding more stuff later and not have to spend money or time retuning it. Simply push a couple buttons befroe or while you ride. It's that simple and powerful. The Stealth Intake retains the stock Chrome Covers and weather protection for your intakes while giving you almost filterless type intake action. Very free breathing and powerful and cheaper than most.

I would then consider a high powered battery just because I don't trust the stock battery. Later you can add pipes, which only increae your power by maybe 3-5% overall depending. The RoadBurner 2:1 were the best I tested, but alas are no longer available. I have no current pipe recommendation, but may have one next spring. Working on some options and just don't know yet.

The above are my opinions based on my riding and testing experience and others may have different opinions, I have no problem with what you choose, but you asked. Let us know what you decide on and by all means have a great time. I want to get back in a stock car and do some laps. Drove one about 6yrs ago 400hp on a tri-oval. Wasn;t fond of the track, but loved the almost drifting around the entire course at whatever speeds that was!!!!!! It was fun!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I can tell you if I had your bike and money I would go with 3" hard krome's, bully controller,an ATRE, and a wind sheild ( maybe memphis fats ) . and a set of bags later. Just my 2 cents worth bossman! :bigthumbsup:
Pick away, there's something left last time I looked!!!! LOL

I would start with the simplest first and add a TRE. Ride and get use to the added power in gears 1 thru 3. Then grab the Bully Stealth Package and install it. Bully will give you the best flexability for adding more stuff later and not have to spend money or time retuning it. Simply push a couple buttons befroe or while you ride. It's that simple and powerful. The Stealth Intake retains the stock Chrome Covers and weather protection for your intakes while giving you almost filterless type intake action. Very free breathing and powerful and cheaper than most.

I would then consider a high powered battery just because I don't trust the stock battery. Later you can add pipes, which only increae your power by maybe 3-5% overall depending. The RoadBurner 2:1 were the best I tested, but alas are no longer available. I have no current pipe recommendation, but may have one next spring. Working on some options and just don't know yet.

The above are my opinions based on my riding and testing experience and others may have different opinions, I have no problem with what you choose, but you asked. Let us know what you decide on and by all means have a great time. I want to get back in a stock car and do some laps. Drove one about 6yrs ago 400hp on a tri-oval. Wasn;t fond of the track, but loved the almost drifting around the entire course at whatever speeds that was!!!!!! It was fun!
Thanks doubletap407 and Gman, that was exactly what I was looking for!!
Windshield is first on the list, I forgot to say that, that one's a give me.
Now after that, I have a battle plan.

GMan,I will be in touch soon, also get back into the stock car as soon as you can, you won't regret it.
I love going fast as long as it's legal!

Thanks again guys.
Terry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts