M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
screamnyellowzonker hooked me up with the sample panel of a glow in the dark powdercoat that a friend of his does. We wanted to see what happened if you airbrushed over it. See if the paint job would illuminate.......and it does. It looks a bit greener in the pics than it does in person. This stuff definitely soaks up the light. held it for about 30 seconds over one of my 500 watt shop lights and it was visibly glowing with the lights on. It lights up the garage with the lights off, pretty cool for sure.

This was just black art over the powdercoat which has a slight yellow green cast to it. Yeah the flames suck but it was a quickie job. I was anxious to get this painted. Actually got it a few weeks ago before my vacation and a series of unfortunate events kept me from doing it till tonight.

I may try spraying a lime green candy over it to see what happens when you try to hide the natural color of the phosphorescence and make it look like a traditional paint job. Also curious about flake over the top of it like an ice pearl that would let the light shine through it

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Thats pretty darn cool Joe. I wonder though about UV protection built into the paint. :dontknow: really don't know, but it seems like something I heard a few years ago. I would think that if the paint is UV blocking it may hinder the effectiveness. But it is really neat experiment and if it works the way you hope it will make for some awesome paint jobs! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
idea
Powdercoat my wheels + Pre Existing UV LEDs = :eek::eek::eek:
not sure about the green, but it would go with a theme that I've been thinking of:bigthumbsup:

VERY cool:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Man, I hate flames, but your work and your talent are something else.
I admire your work, and I am so jealous of your talent.
Keep up good work, and feed us with your samples as much as you can.
Good luck Bro !

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Joe that looks awesome. Maybe a bit of red in the eyes for color. It really does light up bright with just a little led to fire it up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like it :2cool:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
idea
Powdercoat my wheels + Pre Existing UV LEDs = :eek::eek::eek:
not sure about the green, but it would go with a theme that I've been thinking of:bigthumbsup:

VERY cool:bigthumbsup:
that would look pretty awesome if it all worked out. :bigthumbsup:

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well it's still experimental at this time. I wanna try a few more things like the clears and the candies to see what effect it'll have. UV light is not a problem, any light will charge it and the uv blockers in the clear coat shouldn't cause any problems.

I think an entire bike would be cool. I'd need to talk to his powdercoat guy and see what can be done. I don't think plastic parts could be powdercoated which kinda dampens the 109 paint job ideas, but a chopper or something similar that has all metal fenders and parts would be very cool

BTW the pic does it NO justice. It is BRIGHT. Everybody I showed it to at work this morning was blown away at how bright it is.

G

·
That's awsome...stay out of NY...our overzealous tax collectors...uh, I mean State Troopers, would likely ticket you for "unauthorized lighting".:joke:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hmmm.. Powdercoated set of wheels would be sweet.

No, officer, I don't have LEDs on my bike. It's the rims! They're glowing! I swear!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Very cool! Can't wait to see more, as you experiment with different ideas!:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I messed around with the glow in the dark powders on top of paint years ago, and you have to use a UV-free clearcoat. I painted a 93 GSXR black with silver racing stripes, and the striped were done with the glow powder on top. We didn't know about the uv-free clearcoat at the time, and it was a very weak effect. If you drove it into a dark room straight out of the sun, closed the doors, and let your eyes adjust, the effect would kinda pop out slowly, but it's not like a neon sign or anything. Good luck with the powder coat, and post pics of your progress.

-Josh

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I messed around with the glow in the dark powders on top of paint years ago, and you have to use a UV-free clearcoat. I painted a 93 GSXR black with silver racing stripes, and the striped were done with the glow powder on top. We didn't know about the uv-free clearcoat at the time, and it was a very weak effect. If you drove it into a dark room straight out of the sun, closed the doors, and let your eyes adjust, the effect would kinda pop out slowly, but it's not like a neon sign or anything. Good luck with the powder coat, and post pics of your progress.

-Josh
yeah i've seen that stuff but it's crap compared to this stuff. Not sure what it is, but it's 100 times better than that stuff.

Did find out that it won't charge light from a laser though. Using the green laser from my AR doesn't do anything to it.

An LED flashlight though charges it very quickly. Which means it does not need UV light to charge since LEDs do not emit UV

1 - 20 of 24 Posts