M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this section had been quiet for quite sometime now, I want to toss an idea of an Illinois or the Tri-State area meet sometime late spring or early summer. I'm not a very good organizer of things, so if anyone wanna spearhead this idea.

toss in some routes in hat and go from there...it would be nice to meet some 109 riders in the area.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd be up for attending. Would be willing to help with some routes maybe. Meeting up with some more Illinois 9'ers would be good.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I was trying to do this last year, but my event planning skills are not the best either. I have over an acre semi rural lot very biker friendly neighbors and you could camp also, plenty of room for extra vehicles if anyones other wanted to cage it. I dont have a ton of cash to get porta potty or food. but I have the location.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you do make it a Tri-State meet, I'd be interested, and I think others nearby would, too. Rockford is only a couple hours out for me.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
You could always attend the Mid Atlantic Meet. It used to be called the Annual Meet. There is a link in my signature. People are coming from TX to Canada.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
thanks ryan! wouldnt we all love to come there. Most cant get the time or cash . to do a week long trip. Guys If you can help me out here we could get somthing going. And of course anyone is welcome where ever your from. It might be a fun weekend or just a day. What do you guys want to do? There are hotels you can stay in or camp at my place? need input!

·
Registered
803 Posts
That is awesome!! count me in

There are some good roads from the south like rt2 north to rockford
I am close to Ohare airport (WoodDale)

some could meet at a central point from the east and the south
then all meet in Rockford
then on west to Galina and north to WI
and back to rockford for the night

will something like that work???

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think that is a good idea, Freestyle. Leave Rockford between 8 and 10, stop somewhere for lunch, maybe see an attraction, or memorial or something, and get back to Rockford about 4 to 6 for a BBQ, or stop at a nearby restaurant.

As far as camping or a hotel, if its more than one day, leave that up to each rider, as long as the campers let Rockfordrider know in advance, and everyone knows the schedule.

This is just an outline, chop it up as you wish.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
keep them coming guys I like the idea of leaving here around 8 . Go through galena then to sahvanna there is a bar down there full of vintage bikes. or go out of galena and head into wis. they have some really nice roads up there, I will have one of my buddies make a couple of routes up. He does it for the club all the time and will ride with us on his road king. the rest is up to you guys it is all good to me.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
This sounds like a great time. I have a buddy in Wisconsin and this would be a perfect excuse for me to get up and visit him.

Any idea on a tentative timeframe?

·
Registered
803 Posts
If we head west we must hit the stagecoach trail
I was on it this past summer and what a great stretch of road
I would say the best in IL:bigthumbsup:

I found a great description of the road

Heading west out of Lena is the Historic Stagecoach Trail, marked along the route with Historic Trail signs. Now you're on one of the most scenic 40 miles of road in the whole state. The normally flat topography of Illinois changes into beautiful lush rolling hills, with farmhouses and barns that look like a scene from the 1850s. You will pass through small, sleepy, all-American towns with names like Waddams Grove, Apple River, and Scales Mound. The winding two-lane road, with tight turns and switchbacks is ideal for enthusiastic top-down sports car driving, or better yet, in the saddle of a nimble motorcycle.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...64437&sspn=0.086934,0.181789&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If we head west we must hit the stagecoach trail
I was on it this past summer and what a great stretch of road
I would say the best in IL:bigthumbsup:

I found a great description of the road

Heading west out of Lena is the Historic Stagecoach Trail, marked along the route with Historic Trail signs. Now you're on one of the most scenic 40 miles of road in the whole state. The normally flat topography of Illinois changes into beautiful lush rolling hills, with farmhouses and barns that look like a scene from the 1850s. You will pass through small, sleepy, all-American towns with names like Waddams Grove, Apple River, and Scales Mound. The winding two-lane road, with tight turns and switchbacks is ideal for enthusiastic top-down sports car driving, or better yet, in the saddle of a nimble motorcycle.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...64437&sspn=0.086934,0.181789&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13
Now we're getting something. I'm In. Since Rockford is near Galena, we definitely have to ride Stage Coach Rd and have luch in downtown Galena and go from there.

I'm about 3 hrs. of Rockford but had made a couple of ride up there last summer. We rode up to Dixon and taken Rt 2 along the river and ended up in Rockford.

Let's get a head count and figure out accomodations. Let's do this in early summer when the days are longer...and if the weather isn't ideal then we have time to reschedule...

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
first route tenative is west on 20 to stage coach, new diggins,galena,to savanah and back up through dixion up rout 2. back in time for dinner.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Stagecoach trail looks great, was it crowded and touristy or is this a pretty well kept secret?

Once you guys nail down a date I can make some plans. I know my wife would love to ride up in that area............ as long as you don't mind having a C14 tagging along.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I rode the trail on a Friday
There was no traffic at all
Most ride the main road that would be rt20

As far as other bikes other than the 109's
all I can say is bring them all out
Bring a few friends as well the more the better
and don't forget the Wifes and G/F's

I ride with a few yammies and B-king also a few of them H-D'S
They all Might make the ride as well as the G/F for sure

1st week of June is booked for me
How's the last week of May......To early?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts