M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

I was riding last week from the suburbs to downtown. I go to park my bike. I turn it off and the engine sounds like it's trying to start. I remove the key and it continues to try and turn over! I put the key and and when I turn to the on position without touching the ignition button or holding in the clutch, the engine starts by itself. I try the engine kill switch but it keeps running. I turn it off and it keeps trying to turn over. I use the engine kill again and nothing. Finally after a minute of leaving the key out it stopped. I came back 3-4 hours later and it started up no problem. I called Suzuki and then would only tell me where to get it serviced and had no knowledge of what it could be. I called the service department from the place I bought the bike in Louisiana then next morning and they said there was no point in bringing it in unless I could reproduce the problem.

Anyone have experience with this thing on any bike before? Not just the M109r. I asked if they could do a diagnostic or checkout the ignition start but he said there was no computer diagnostics to run on the bike. He said next time it happens bring it in right away, but last time it happened it was 8:30 pm and they were closed!

Thanks,

Fulmitz

p.s. I LOVE my M109R :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey ,
That other guy with the starter issue was me. It happened with only 250 miles on the bike. I'm now at over 900 and it hasn't happened since. My dealer essentially told me the same thing as yours did, but they did replace the battery because the lead battery terminal was melted from removing and reattaching the negative wire. Like i said mine hasn't done it since, so just cross your fingers and hopefully it wont happen again to you either.

·
Registered
849 Posts
It sounds like what used to be known as auto igniting or dieseling. It seemed to happen more in the days of carbs. Basically when you'd shut the key off, the throttle wouldn't close all the way allowing gas to continue and hot spots inside cylinders would allow
run on' even though the plugs weren't firing. This was more likely to happen with older vehicles that had more carbon build up. I'm not sure if any af this applies to your bike and could only imagine that for some reason the fuel pump continued to deliver fuel and the engine had a hot spot that kept it firing.
Jer

·
Registered
849 Posts
On rereading you post, it sounds like your motor didn't keep running but your starter kept turning. A gremlin I've never heard of.
Jer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it doesn't happen again. I was FREAKING OUT when it did happen! When it finally stopped. I thought the battery was dead. Luckily it wasn't.

Fulmitz

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yesterday I was on an organized ride and we stopped for fuel and when I went to restart the "FI" was on solid in the display and the red indicator lite was on also (page 3-7 in the manual). The bike would not start. Another rider came over and said to turn the ignition switch off and slowly on and it would work. It did and it started. Seems the switch has a problem. Happened only this one time. John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me about 5 years ago,with my VTX.I turned the key off at a fast food joint and the engine ran.Even took the key out.I was only a few miles from home,so i went back home,to find the culprit.I kept thinking Pre-ignition.Or a slight
kink in the turn switch.The engine kill,didn't work.I decided to stall the bike in my driveway and check the battery under the seat.I seem to remember,I had a warranty letter about a faulty ground wire that first run VTX's were having.It never happened again.But it was surreal.I mean,almost NOT real.Kinda like smokin a V-rod in my dreams,when out & about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts