M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will keep this pretty short.
I have had a bad year overall, feeling streeses and down on myself. Especially in the last 2 months or so.
Normally I am the happiest one around, and many times I have been even when depressed.
Well, I just went to lunch an hour ago and was given a reminder how lucky I am.

Here is just how lucky.
Loving wife
3 healthy loving kids. So well behaved you would not believe.
Good health (no matter how much I ignore it)
Great job (had, but I will have another) As of the 23rd of this month
Minimal debt
Wife with new Mom's hours job/work from home/good $$$
Burple 109
Lots of loving family etc
+ other things that I cant list here, way too many to mention.
It seems most of my life I have had a guardian Angel.

the reminder?
Well I almost ALWAYS wear a jacket....
When I left for lunch (afterall, its only lunch) I did not put it on, or any gloves.
Right in front of our building, on cold tires, I blast the throttle and a Caddy SUV cuts me off.
I locked the front wheel, the front wheel danced, I recovered (think I broke my toe)
There is a 25ft black mark where I skidded with the front wheel only!!

I cant believe I kept it shiny side up!
I cant believe I was not wearing a jacket OR gloves!!!
Especially since I wore them most of the summer in 90 degree + heat.

Be careful
Be safe
Be thankful
Go kiss the kids and go for a ride

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Wow :eek: :eek: I knew the 9 would stand on its hind legs, didn't realize it would stand on its front so well. Glad you weren't injured bro!

·
Registered
775 Posts
glad you stayed up and safe, bro.
no-one ever truly knows the depths of another man's soul.
only one man, his heart, and his god can understand that man's daily journey within each of our days, there are moments of great sorrow and incredible joy.
truly excepting the depth of both will lead you to the understanding of the very wise.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Good job bud. Glad you're still here with us. I'm trying to make myself wear more appropriate gear. I just got a new Tourmaster Transition jacket in yesterday and took it for a 100 mile run in mid-80 + degree weather. This is not a full mesh jacket, but I still felt completely comfortable in that heat. I also had some vented MC gloves. I think I should be able to break my habit of t-shirts and shorts (Have pair of overpants on order). Stories like yours remind me that it's not completely in my hands how my ride goes. One person not looking can ruin a perfect day real quick.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Oh Man!...
I really enjoy reading your posts, and I'm very glad you came through that OK! hope you didn't really break your toe...unless it was in that cagers azz :verymad:. Things like that can make you take a good look at yourself, glad you like what you saw.
Go kiss the wife, hug the kids and pay that angel off :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Devilish

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
:bigthumbsup: Nice save! Now you've preached to yourself about gear so maybe you don't mind if I hijack your thread to preach to others for a minute. Long story short, well sorta short, I had a 2005 CBR600RR for 11 months and put over 11,000 miles on it from the time I drove it off the showroom (most of the miles was put on it just on the rear wheel only, I had a bad wheelie habit) with that being said, not meaning to toot my own horn but I can ride the wheels off of a bike and I always would wear my gear, luckily, because I never anticipated a cager losing control of her car on the other side of the four-lane I was on, hitting the car right next to me in the fast lane head on at an impact of 80 mph to the other car that was going in my directions 65 mph. Well they both took me out in the process while on my much loved CBR, I had my Scorpion lid on, but still received a 1 inch skull fracture just behind the left ear, I had on my Joe rocket gloves which tore leaving only slight cuts on both of my hands, nothing compared to the damage that would have been done without gloves. The rocket leather jacket I had on saved me a lot of rash, although Levis jeans are not meant for going down around 65 mph..... Much rash on the knees. Since buying my 109 last week I have ordered and would suggest Icons knee and shin guards, the unit is suppose to slip on like socks and fit under your jeans. Problem is they are on back order until Oct. 20th. For those of you that don't believe in gear or for those that just don't wear it I'll say this, yes that's your right, yes you may be a great rider but you can never tell what that non-driving idiot across the way is going to do. Plus every one of us has atleast one person who loves us dearly, respect that loved one in your life and wear your gear, it may not be enough but hey, by wearing your gear, you've done all that you can do to protect yourself and to be able to do what we all love most, Ride!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nice save, glad your ok, it must be the day for idiot cagers, I had a woman pull right out in front of me, had to take to the parking lane and then 3 miles down the road a joker in his truck decided he was missing his turn and slammed the brakes, I didn't dance on the front tire but it locked and sure does pull the speed down fast. If I would have been on my old Royal star I think I would have had a tailgare sandwich. Glad your ok, everybody watch out for the idiot out there, it seems to be hunting season for motorcycles. ::)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glad you kept it up! The front brakes on the 109 are superb! I was playing in the parking lot doing some "quick stops" and managed to lock the front wheel. I was only doing about 45 mph but still felt the back end come up. Scared the pi**** out of me.

Hang in there!

McBel

·
Registered
296 Posts
Good job keepin' her up right without a spinning front wheel......loss of gyroscopic effect even on one wheel really causes instability and not much steering if its the front! Glad you are OK and realize what is important in your life.......

I bought a Power Trip mesh jacket and LOVE it. http://www.power-trip.com/products.cfm?products_id=1041 Mine is the Mojave and breathes well. The silver stripe on mine is brighter than in the pics , looks great with my black and chrome bike. Paid $135.00 for mine....very similar to Joe Rocket Phoenix but more "cruiser appropriate".

Like you , I on occassion will say , "man I am going around the block or whatever....." unfortunately , thats where most accidents happen. Again , glad you are alright. Time to practice some threshold braking , covering the front brake lever at all times .....can never have enough skill.

Ride on....... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
silveRRocket said:
:bigthumbsup: Nice save! Now you've preached to yourself about gear so maybe you don't mind if I hijack your thread to preach to others for a minute. Long story short, well sorta short, I had a 2005 CBR600RR for 11 months and put over 11,000 miles on it from the time I drove it off the showroom (most of the miles was put on it just on the rear wheel only, I had a bad wheelie habit) with that being said, not meaning to toot my own horn but I can ride the wheels off of a bike and I always would wear my gear, luckily, because I never anticipated a cager losing control of her car on the other side of the four-lane I was on, hitting the car right next to me in the fast lane head on at an impact of 80 mph to the other car that was going in my directions 65 mph. Well they both took me out in the process while on my much loved CBR, I had my Scorpion lid on, but still received a 1 inch skull fracture just behind the left ear, I had on my Joe rocket gloves which tore leaving only slight cuts on both of my hands, nothing compared to the damage that would have been done without gloves. The rocket leather jacket I had on saved me a lot of rash, although Levis jeans are not meant for going down around 65 mph..... Much rash on the knees. Since buying my 109 last week I have ordered and would suggest Icons knee and shin guards, the unit is suppose to slip on like socks and fit under your jeans. Problem is they are on back order until Oct. 20th. For those of you that don't believe in gear or for those that just don't wear it I'll say this, yes that's your right, yes you may be a great rider but you can never tell what that non-driving idiot across the way is going to do. Plus every one of us has atleast one person who loves us dearly, respect that loved one in your life and wear your gear, it may not be enough but hey, by wearing your gear, you've done all that you can do to protect yourself and to be able to do what we all love most, Ride!
Great story. It don't matter how good a rider you are when somebody loses control and ends up in your lane. At that point, you're just along for the ride, and what gear you chose to wear will be a big deciding factor in how long your hospital stay is. If your story doesn't change some people's minds about protective gear, then nobody's will. Glad you didn't let your experience deter you from riding again.

G

·
You are lucky my man! Its always that one time you don't do the ATGATT as they say on advrider.com

All the gear all the time... but I neglected that too much this summer...every time I get a cruiser, I slack on even the mesh jacket too much. I will put this post to good use and get back to ATGATT.

glad you are ok, well except for your toe

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

The Toe is fine :D

When I went back to look at the stripe again, it starts thin and light and ends thick (wheel sideways) and black.
It is about 20 feet long total. I did not see any oil slick or marks or anything. I think most of this was due to cold tires.
I did not get the big slowdown, or anywhere near the grip from the front that I am used to getting.
I am suprised that I dont remember using the rear brake at all. Maybe I did, but I do remember jammming the leg down to save it
The "Toe" was from jamming my leg down while still moving forward at just the right time (evidently) to keep it upright.

Basically
Brake!
Skid...
Wheel dances!...!...
bike leaning :eek:
JAM FOOT RELEASE BRAKE STRAIGHTEN BARS!
Breathe :bigthumbsup:

..... MUST GET RUBBER LEGS TO WORK....

Phew.

Sledzep

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Glad you made it out Ok Sled...

I have been lucky so far, but I realize it is just that... Luck.

I read somewhere that its not a matter of if, but rather when.
:doorag:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Sled,

Glad you were able to kepp yourself & the 109 up safe from harm!

I had a similar incident where I had a pickup truck pulling a car trailer (Empty) cross my path. The darn thing was too long to stear arround it so I did the same thing you did & had to slap my leg out near the end. The leg hurt for a couple weeks do to the quick stab & subsequent jolt to my left leg.

Good goin sled! :p :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts