M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "I wanna go fast" tag line from the mindless but entertaining Talladega Nights movie really stuck to me as I'm experiencing my new M109R. Four weeks now and 1500 miles and loving every minute. I'm at an interesting point where I'm beginning to push the bike a good bit and in all seriousness would appreciate some reassurance from some of the more experienced riders/mechanics on the forum.

Here is the point -- can I trust the clutch/drive train system? It shifts the cleanest when I dare I say "slam" the shifter and engage the clutch fast a microsecond thereafter. I realize there is a touch factor that one develops, but what bothers me is the clunk feeling that happens occassionally (I'm sure operator error) and more frequently the slower I shift. So can anyone speak from experience about the mechanical integrity of the system and provide shifting tips that preserve the bike and still satisfy my "I wanna go fast" spirit?

·
Registered
775 Posts
all in experience and acclamaiting yourself to the bike. i, personally, believe the drain-train in this bike is very sound. i ride mine like a stole it everytime i leave the driveway. seems like the more i abuse it, the smoother it runs. just enjoy it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've noticed that the shift between 1 and 2 does go smoother if you're revving it and shift quickly. If you're are just trying to cruise and shift slowly, that's when it sounds like it's coming apart.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
FWIW, the intruder series is the same way.....it likes to be ridden through the RPMs before shifting....wind that baby out and she shifts smooth as can be. Try to be 'slow & smooth' and it clunks like grandma's iron lung.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I've always liked the "make it shift, and hear it" part of this bike. I like the noise and feeling of making this thing shift, instead of a smooth as butter approach. If I wanted a bike that shifted like a hair trigger, I would have bought a sport bike.
It's a cruiser with attitude, The shifter is part of how you know you're on one. !!
:doorag: :doorag:

·
Registered
666 Posts
J R said:
This bike reminds me of an old 60,s/70,s era big block with a 4 speed car :evil: I like the way it acts.It aint a bike for sissys and flip up your shirt collar kinda guys  :evil: If your worried about the shifter being to tuff for your little foot or a little tranny noise or piston slap or valve train noise or your a ***.This bike might not be for you.On the other hand if ya like girls and if ya like raw TQ and HP and a huge fatty tire on the back and dont mind a few little inperfections to have the factory big block./wide tire hot rod of motorcycles then this might be your bike :evil: JR
J R

you should make warning stickers for suzuki :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
glad all my over-shirts have button down collars. do not want to cross paths with any of these guys in daytona with a wind blown up collar.

·
Registered
214 Posts
J R said:
This bike reminds me of an old 60,s/70,s era big block with a 4 speed car :evil: I like the way it acts.It aint a bike for sissys and flip up your shirt collar kinda guys  :evil: If your worried about the shifter being to tuff for your little foot or a little tranny noise or piston slap or valve train noise or your a ***.This bike might not be for you.On the other hand if ya like girls and if ya like raw TQ and HP and a huge fatty tire on the back and dont mind a few little inperfections to have the factory big block./wide tire hot rod of motorcycles then this might be your bike :evil: JR
JR is the man!!! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
702 Posts
J R said:
This bike reminds me of an old 60,s/70,s era big block with a 4 speed car :evil: ... if ya like girls and if ya like raw TQ and HP and a huge fatty tire on the back and dont mind a few little inperfections to have the factory big block./wide tire hot rod of motorcycles then this might be your bike :evil: JR
I'm glad someone else said this. I keep describing this bike as a muscle car to people who ask what it's about. I also make sure to blast off anytime any "sporty" vehicle (2 or 4 wheels) is next to me at a light.

Gotta let 'em know 8)

·
Registered
330 Posts
well i have heard the piston slap. but hey its a muscle bike. deal with it. now if the stealer can get my bike fixed :eek:

·
Registered
99 Posts
thanks jr,i've been trying to write pretty much the same words for a long time.this bike reminds me of some pretty sharp guys in a garage putting a hotrod together.one guy saying to the other"here let's try this it worked really good on my ........".
a kind of outlaw approach for a japanese motorcycle co.i can't think of another similar build from an o.e.m..by the way your contributions help make this forum the addiction we all now suffer from,lol.
hoping your health probs get better.ride safe bro. :bigthumbsup: :joke: :bigthumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts