M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man do I feel like an idiot, I was turning left . . . thought the guy coming toward me in the left lane had to stop. . .he did not have to . . . I hit the brake. . . lost my balance and tipped over. . . luckily was able to just lay the bike down, but I cracked the left front tun signal, scuffed the left mirror a little bit, bent the shifter, and put a tiny scuff on the chrome cover. Man was I embarrassed, thank god I was not in my home town, or I would have been a lot more embarassed.Â

I was going to replace the mirrors and front/back turn signals anyways, now I have to! Any suggestions? I've checked out a lot of the other posts and have seen some cool stuff. I'm pretty handy, but not handy enough to create any kind of brackets myself, so I am looking for signals and mirrors that look cool, but are easy to install.

Here's a picture of the minor damage. From what I've seen on other posts, my damage is no where near as bad as some other people!

My new mirrors are on order, I ordered them from meancycles.com, what do you think? I'm not a flashy kind of guy, and wanted something that would "flow" with the bikes design

I'm still thinking about the turn signals (front and back), and now I've got the itch to cut off the rear license plate holder, mount the rear signals some where else and get a side mounted LP holder.Â

I saw JCrawlers post on here that he makes a nice side mount bracket, I am waiting to hear back from him whether he is still making them or not.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Re: I tipped over, what an idiot!!!

I just about dumped mine today as well. Took the wife to the store and she was all excited and jumped on the bike while i had both hands holding the grocery bag she handed me. Nearly tore out my back holding up the bike BUT i did avoid the lay down.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Happens to everyone as some time.Â

I was at a stoplight back in 1985 on my '83 suzuki GS750ES when I took both hands off the bars to adjust my helmet strap and the front wheel tilted to the left and next thing I knew the bike was on the ground between my legs and I was doing my best not to fall down.  :redfaced:

The guy behind me at the light didn't even honk when the light turned green, he was too busy laughing!!! :(

·
Registered
702 Posts

I'm waiting to do some damage to mine so I have an excuse to aftermarket it too. :joke:

seriously, I'm glad you're not hurt.

Post some pics of post repairs.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Dumped my first bike sitting in my girlfriends driveway. I was parked, stood up and leaned over the bars to wipe something off the headlight...right out from under me. Makes ya feel like a moron when you pick it back up, I just walked around it for a minute shaking my head. That little bit of real world experience cost me a $75 turn signal and a few scratches on the tank.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I won't mention the town I grew up in, but the police chiefs son-in-law was an officer also (imagine that) and he wanted to be a "motorcycle cop" but the town was too small to really afford that. Actually, I think they knew better than to put him on one, but they did make him the meter-maid and put him on a 3 wheel harley to give out parking tickets.  He did that for a couple of years and finally the police dept. bought a regular police harley and made him the "motorcycle cop" for the town.

It was the early '70s and we had several race riots in a very short period, and one Sunday we had a doozy go down in a parking lot downtown. 
The police were responding and the "motorcycle cop" was the first one there. He whipped into the parking lot, siren and lights blazing and proceeded to lay the harley down on top of his left leg, pinning himself underneath it.  There he laid, screaming for help to get the bike off of him and the fight broke down, everyone laughing at him, no one helping him out from under the bike.  The majority of the fighters ran off and all us kids who had been watching got the heck out of there too.  We didn't have a "motorcycle cop" for long after that.  Ya gotta love small towns...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Dear notlohdahc,
I really feel for you.

Nothing is more annoying than damaging the thing you love :edit: :swear:

While you install new turn signals and mirrors, maybe you would think about installing some crash bars like these as well?

They really look good and make the bike appear even more aggressive and big as it already is.
I already ordered mine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
notlohdahc said:
My new mirrors are on order, I ordered them from meancycles.com, what do you think? I'm not a flashy kind of guy, and wanted something that would "flow" with the bikes design

I bought those same mirrors. They're made in Italy. They're listed under the model name, "Terrible". When you buy them your receipt says Terrible Chrome Mirrors. And guess what? That's what you get. Terrible chrome mirrors. They're not even chrome. They're more like polished aluminum. They wouldn't do on my bike. I sent them back. Don't lose your receipt.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Dickschiff said:
Dear notlohdahc,
I really feel for you.

Nothing is more annoying than damaging the thing you love :edit: :swear:

While you install new turn signals and mirrors, maybe you would think about installing some crash bars like these as well?

They really look good and make the bike appear even more aggressive and big as it already is.
I already ordered mine.
WHOA!
how did someone mount a mod ad I did not know??? I am failing in my read every thread duties!!
Who makes those bars?
Where did you get them?
Those are not the ones I saw listed for the 109...

Sledzep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hardly Davidson. . .Thanks for the advise on the mirrors, I cancelled my order this morning before they shipped. That's what I don't like about internet shopping, you can not "touch/feel/hold" the items you want to purchase. I just placed an order through DirectLineParts.com for the Kuryakyn Magnum KUR-1428's.

For me the mirrors are just for looks, since I come from a dirt bike background, I am so used to just looking over my shoulder to see what's behind me anyway.

·
Registered
131 Posts
WHOA!
how did someone mount a mod ad I did not know??? I am failing in my read every thread duties!!
Who makes those bars?
Where did you get them?
Those are not the ones I saw listed for the 109...

Sledzep
LOL! Awww, calm down dear Sledzep!
These are specialties made in germany by Hepco & Becker, who is a well known manufacturer for quality motorcycle parts over here.

They have not only those crashbars, but sissy-bars with luggage holders and a TWINLIGHT mod as well for our beloved bike.

Click on this link for the english website of them (the M109R is called M1800R over here!):

http://www.hepco-becker.de/_eng/frameset.php

This is the installation manual for the crashbars (in german but with more nice pictures):
http://www.hepco-becker.de/anbauanleitungen/5013511.0002.pdf

·
Registered
131 Posts
WOW thank you. I could not find pics of the twinlight though.
Are they actually shipping the backrest and rack yet??
Yes, they do.

Here you have the german pdf-file to see a picture of them
http://www.hepco-becker.de/anbauanleitungen/611339.pdf
Sissy-bar with luggage holder (Art.Nr. 611339)

I found a picture of the twinlights, not on an M109R but you get the idea:

Hope I could help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts