M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was out riding in WV this past weekend, I stopped at Bridgeport to fill up at the Chevron there off of 79 and took on about a 1/2 tank of gas. Within about 20 miles my bike started sputtering and when I tried to get it over 3000 RPMS it would start bucking. I pulled over and gave it full throttle. The RPMS went up to 3k and then just dropped to 0 and then sputtered.

The strange thing was I found out if I turned off the ignition and restarted it like 5 or 6 times....sometimes it would run fine for a short while. I did this many times until I was able to get to another gas station and after that it ran fine for the rest of the day.

On my way home from WV, I stopped in Winchester, VA at the Exxon at the northern most of the 3 Winchester exits off of 81 and got 4.2 gallons. About 20 miles down the road...the same thing happened all over again. I used my ignition trick and it got me to another gas station where I topped it off with some good gas. It wasn't perfect after that but it could at least maintain the speed limit at that point so it got me home.

Has anyone else run into this problem? And can someone explain why turning it off and then restarting it would sometimes temporarily fix the problem?

-Tim

PS. While I was in WV I spotted two silver M109Rs. One was about 25 miles south of Bridgeport on a back road on my way to Phillipe before noon. It was pulled over at what looked like a new construction house along with another bike. The second M109R (which theoretically could be the same bike as it was about 8 hours later) was spotted up in Morgantown coming out of the mall near Exit 7 off of 68 around 8:45pm. There was a driver and passenger dressed in leather...I at least got to say hi as I rode by on my way to the Outback up on the hill there.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Some of the gas stations/manufactures are having problems with the Ethynol mixture...a culmination of adverse effects basically contaminates the gas...and the alcohol essentially turns into  a low but dangerous level of water....also these manufactures are using less detergents in the fuel...(to save on costs)...thus allowing for systems such as injectors, fuel lines...ect to gum up.

I work for BMW...we get newsletters all the time on stuff like this...because of the high performance engines in our cars.

A Word of advice.....USE BP ! top 10 consistantly yr after yr.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Conoco has a refinery here in Denver so I use them most of the time. Gotta keep the local boys in business 8) Haven't had any problems yet.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advise. I am just surprised that it happened to me twice within 2 days from two gas stations about 120 miles apart that aren't even affiliated (Chevron and Exxon). I will give the MMO a try, thanks!

-Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts